Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Man, so much trouble getting a urine sample.

ghphotog
ghphotog Member Posts: 667
500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW most likely has a UTI and I've tried for weeks to get a good clean specimen for the lab.

Each time something goes wrong. I place a bucket in the toilet bowl to catch a sample because there's no way to get the urine cup between her legs as she sits so closed legged and freaks out when I try.

She never puts the TP in the toilet as she never knows what to do with it. Just as I get a clean sample she wipes and drops the TP with poop on it right in the bucket.

Every night I have to clean and change her about 2:30 am and it's very hard to get her to go back to sleep. She's hysterical for an hour and won't go back to bed. So most nights I'm up from 2-3AM on. Might as well make coffee.

Thought I could finally get a good sample this morning, scheduled a time with the lab, just as we start she has the runs and makes the biggest mess which means I'm cleaning up the floor, her shoes, getting her in the shower and cancelling the lab appointment . . . again. I've been trying for weeks to get this done.

Oh, well soon it will be the MC's problem. . . Lord willing.

Just venting this morning. Very tired and I was so frustrated this morning that she feels like I'm mad at her. Been living this demented world a long time and I just can't live in it any longer but she sobbing, hysterical and pleading with me over and over not to leave her. Feeling like if the caregiving doesn't get me then the guilt of placing her will. Seems like a no win, as always.

I hope the placement goes smoothly... I can only hope but it probably won't as nothing about this is "ever" happens easy.

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My heart breaks for everyone of us caregivers, I'm nowhere at that point and would be happy to live just as is , but I know the reality but I can hope.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm so sorry you're having such a difficult time. It just never seems to get easier. Are you familiar with the "hats" that are used for a urine catch? If not, you should be able to pick one up at Walgreens or another pharmacy, or probably even the lab. In fact having an extra one is a bonus if you need it. If you've never used one, it might be a good idea to ask them how to place it on the toilet for the catch. If she has a UTI, and it's going to be another two weeks before she gets a room available, it would be best to try to get a sample ASAP so treatment can begin if needed. I wish you luck, my friend.

• ghphotog

I don't have a "hat" persay just a clean small bucket I can place in the toilet bowl that seems to work pretty good. . . if I can get it. : )

• ghphotog

Charley, I'm not sure my experience is typical. She used to be pretty easy going and easy to care for up until about a 3 years ago. I'm not sure but I don't think everyone has the emotional drama that I do but either way it's all hard in it's own way and everyone's experience is different but the same and never easy for any of us.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Ghphotog, i fervently hope that you may be pleasantly surprised that she may respond well to the professional caregivers at MC and may not miss you as much as you fear. Right now of course she's fearful for you to leave her because there's no one else around. It may be painful for you in other ways (you may find yourself out of sight, out of mind), but I'm so hoping it goes well for you both. You need a respite desperately.

• ghphotog

Thanks M1! I would love for it to be that way and you could very well be right.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited February 6

Charley, I never had success with getting a sample even using a hat, results always came back “multiple flora”. I even had my female CNA & stepdaughter try several times with no success. I believe it was due to DW not allowing anyone to properly clean her before trying to get the sample, DW would aggressively resist being cleaned. I even tried showering her immediately before I put her on the toilet, even doing that did not produce an acceptable sample. I hope you find a way to get a sample.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

What makes you think she has a UTI?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia