Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dementia and sleep apnea

LaneyG
LaneyG Member Posts: 164
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Do any of your loved ones have sleep apnea? I know untreated apnea increases risk of dementia and that the general recommendation is that cpaps continue to be used for PWD to improve sleep. DH is somewhere in stage 4. He always wore it religiously. All of a sudden he is having trouble tolerating the mask. I always suggest he wear it. Sometime it is a flat out no. Other times he will put on for 15 minutes or so. One thing Ive learned in this journey is to pick my battles. I am trying to work out in my head if this is a battle worth fighting at this point. Thoughts?

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

This wasn't a problem for my dad. He wore his C-pap until the very end. Maybe because mom has a bi-pap and it seemed "normal" to him.

Could you slip it on him once he's asleep?

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Tried that. It ends up coming off within minutes. Will continue to work the issue. Will see what happens. Thanks!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

This is a battle I'd leave behind Laney. Compliance is an issue even in folks without dementia. The snoring may drive you from the room however, if you are still trying to sleep together.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

My husband was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea after being diagnosed with ALZ. They did an at home overnight test that I know was poor quality. He flat out refused CPAP. Around that time, we got a new mattress and splurged on an adjustable bed. We sleep with the head of the bed up around 30 degrees. It’s probably 90% effective at getting rid of the sleep apnea. If I hear him stop breathing, I wake him up and have him turn on his side. Maybe not a perfect solution but good enough. He doesn’t like having the head of the bed up but at this point, he thinks we’re doing it for me so he does it.

• 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

I agree that this probably isn't a battle worth fighting.

Here's a story to consider...My wife had a cpap with a full face mask and used it for many years. After she got to the point of not knowing how to put it on, I would put it on for her. One night I heard an unusual gurgling sound from the bedroom. When I checked on her I found that she vomited into the mask. She seemed unaware and would've been unable to take the mask off anyway. I believe she could have easily aspirated the vomit or even possibly could have drowned in it if I hadn't heard the gurgling. She never slept with it again after that.

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

My husband had MCI when he was diagnosed with sleep apnea. He couldn’t find a mask that he wouldn’t pull off in his sleep. The rep suggested he give each a try for a couple weeks and the rep ended up making repeated trips over a few months with different types until finally my husband said, “Forget it”.

I wonder if the apnea has been due to his brain forgetting to regularly breathe or if there is an obstruction? He is on the thin side and his adenoids do not look obtrusive. Recently when I’ve stayed with him all night, in a deep sleep stage he sometimes stops breathing for up to 45 seconds (yes, I count) before gasping loudly for oxygen. How can this have not contributed to his now advanced cognitive decline?

With this, I wonder I should have encouraged him to try harder, or perhaps tried again a year later with new technology?

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I agree with the others. Not worth the battle. This is now about quality of life from his perspective. If he’s not a happy camper, drop it.

• Belle
    Belle Member Posts: 117
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

@Nowhere my DH has mixed sleep apnea, I imagine that the part of the brain that tells him to breath when he's asleep is damaged. He is currently able to tolerate a mask that just fits over the nose, the larger masks he refuses to wear. I do think he will eventually refuse to wear the mask at all but we'll cross that bridge in the future.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My DH had 59 episodes of sleep apnea every hour during his sleep study test (prior to alz diagnosis). He tried a c-pap but couldn’t get any sleep with it on. After 3 months he gave up and told the Dr he had to get some sleep. That was 11 yrs ago. We sleep in separate bedrooms because my bed is raised at the head due to acid reflux, and his sleep apnea woke me up constantly. (We are a pair) 😁😁

It does make me wonder if there is a connection between sleep apnea and dementia. ??? I never thought much about that.

But, I wouldn’t worry if he wants to stop wearing the c-pap.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea 20 years ago and refused to wear a CPAP. From what I have read, sleep apnea can contribute to dementia and heart disease. He has both. Laney, I wouldn't fight this battle. Save yourself for one that you can win.

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Hi, I agree with the rest that this is not problem you can probably win, sorry to say. My partner has had a Cpap for over 5 years. In the last 6 months he lost 40 #, and I doubt he needs it. I make certain it is available for him, watered and cleaned and leave t for him to use. Good luck. Kathy

• Ragfoot
    Ragfoot Member Posts: 18
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

January 2018 my DW was interviewed/tested by a Clinical Psychologist. A many page report, near the end, stated "According to the research literature, there are several measures typically associated with early signs or future diagnosis, of Alzheimer’s disease. The patient scored below most of these levels including the following "(then listed many test scores).

He went on to state "There are several other factors that complicate a diagnosis however. Firstly, the patient has been previously diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea and has gone untreated for many years. Chronic sleep apnea can certainly cause cognitive difficulties due to the repeated nightly hypoxic events causing damage to the brain. Secondly, the patient currently reports moderate symptoms of depression which can also contribute to cognitive difficulties. Lastly, the patient is currently prescribed several medications (amlodipine, aripiprazole, atorvastatin) on which patients often report memory and other cognitive problems as side effects."

In the early years with a CPAP machine, she would only wear the nose piece AND that was seldom sealed to the nose properly (she didn't want to mess up her hairdo). For the last 6 months or so she has discontinued using it completely.

So, she never received a definitive diagnosis of Alzheimer's, but is probably in stage 5 or 6.

She sleeps very well without the CPAP.

BUT, for the younger readers without dementia, if you have sleep apnea it would be a good idea to use your CPAP machine!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more