Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

SEPARATED for years from spouse - now has EO ALZ Dementia at 64

Anyone out there dealing with this?

I'm investigating for my BF who overwhelmed.
There is so much material for caring spouses, but not for former partners

The situation:
She lives alone, (just retired) is not close to her siblings, has no best friend. One adult daughter nearby. She and my BF have been separated for years, but he feels like this is falling on him, of course - she is the mother of their children; I would feel the same way if it were my ex,

He's brought her to all her appointments. Just received the diagnosis. Things seem to be deteriorating quickly, and he did not anticipate dealing with big decisions so soon. He's willing to help but is not an intimate partner so he can't live there and he has girlfriend (me-who is very supportive).

Where do we go for help; how do we know she is safe alone? What should we be organizing at this stage? What are the options? Looks like she is stage 4. THANK YOU for any information!
nb. the financial stuff is in order, but the priority now I think is outside help.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome to the forum. There have been a few posters who have taken care of exes. When you say that "the financial stuff is in order," who holds her power of attorney? Is there a reason that the adult daughter cannot or should not? If she has not designated someone to hold her poa for both finances and healthcare, that needs to be done through a certified elder law attorney asap, assuming she can still sign. If she can't, someone may need to pursue guardianship, which is a more involved process. Certified attorney s caebe located at nelf.org.

Regarding her safety, that is a harder question. My partner would not have been safe at home alone at stage 4. And if it hasn't come up, she should likely not be driving.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary
    edited February 10

I am my ex's 24/7 caregiver, however, our situation is very different than yours since we live together. He has no children and his only living brother has alz.

The questions M1 asks are vital to her ex being able to manage care and finances. I also agree with M1 that she should not be/live alone. I am fortunate that we had durable POA, will, trusts and healthcare documents prepared years prior to his diagnosis following a bleeding stroke.

IMO she needs 24/7 aide at home with her or your BF may want to start looking at MC facilities.

I wish you both much luck.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@lookingforadvice

Hi and welcome. I am sorry for your reason to be here, but pleased you found this place.

My aunt dealt with a similar situation in that her ex developed a benign brain tumor in his frontal lobe. It was likely the early stages of the tumor that triggered the personality and behavior changes that led to their divorce.

EO dementia is always especially heart breaking, but in a situation where the most logical decision maker is a younger adult the responsibility can interfere with the steps that person should be taking to build their own adult lives. How old is the daughter and what's her life like now? Is she in school or building a career? Raising young children?

Does the daughter have the maturity to take this on? Is she willing to? Is your BF looking to spare her that burden?

HB

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited February 11

Separated? As in a non married couple who broke up? Or as in a married couple who split but never got divorced? That matters because of the legal distinction. He needs to speak to a lawyer about his legal financial responsibilities if he’s still married. He needs to pursue a divorce in that case to preserve his assets and to increase her eligibility for financial assistance.

• lookingforadvice
    lookingforadvice Member Posts: 7
    First Comment

As in a married couple who split but never got divorced. They have joint everything; so he has now taken over the finances. So when she can no longer think for herself, he will have had control and access to all their accounts and investments anyway. Would you mind clarifying about the legal financial responsibilities? He's not looking to getting out of paying for anything - their money is all together, she has a good pension and he will get an equally good one when he retires. They both earned equivalent incomes during their careers. Also she is on his work insurance which is why he has not moved forward with divorce....Unfortunately, she never took ins with her employer. (This is definitely a concern for me, bc then we can't get married until she passes away? I don't want our future dependant on her death....it's an awful thought).

Are you suggesting that if they do divorce, she will receive financial aid?? She made a very good salary and her pension is almost the same amount; do you know if that affects her eligibility? Thanks for your input.

Still wondering what the next step would be - do people get babysitters? Are there agencies through which you can hire someone to watch over the person at home? So many questions!

• lookingforadvice
    First Comment

thank you so much....Since they are legally still married - i assume he naturally has financial control - he has inquired about PoA....but not sure if he did about medical PoA. Good point. She has to do the driving test and it's quite possible she will lose it. He does plan to get daughter more involved.

• lookingforadvice
    First Comment
  • lookingforadvice
    First Comment

She is 30, no children...and yes Dad doesnt want to burden her but then again, i don't want to see him be a martyr...he is a very kind person. I'm wondering what most people find appropriate in this case. The mother actually invited daughter to go to her first dr appt and my BF was never even informed. So perhaps i should remind him of that ...clearly the mother didn't expect my BF to be the responsbile person....but he has done all the recent dr appts since they were all during day when daughter works.

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

BF needs to see a lawyer asap and learn about the Medicaid laws in the state. If nursing home comes into the picture, funds deplete quickly. Few can pay for years of in home and/ or nursing home care without it affecting the spouse’s resources. The amount the community spouse gets to keep varies by state.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Looking-

As her husband he will be legally just as responsible for the cost of her care as her. Her pension and investments might not be enough to pay for that care - it can be 8-10,000 a month. His insurance isn’t likely to pay for that level of care. He could be required to make up the difference. Medicaid will only kick in once their combined assets are spent to below a threshold and he will only be allowed to keep a certain amount of assets.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I did not appreciate as QBC did that they are still married. Yes, that has huge implications for his liabilities. His assets will also have to be figured in to her ability to pay for memory care ( our current bill exceeds $9000/month). Individual health insurance from healthcare.gov runs $1200/month for someone in their early sixties, but she will be eligible for Medicare one year after qualifying for SSDI. Definitely talk to an attorney asap, that does complicate the situation.

Awkward for you personally I'm sure. But there may be financial advantages to her to pursue divorce. But it's likely to be emotional and ugly (when is it not), and she may need her own careful legal representation, with someone besides your BF holding her POA if they go this route. I'm sorry.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

In your shoes, I'd take a long, serious look at whether this is a relationship in which you want to be. Unless he divorces in the near future, he will be responsible for her care whether that means 24/7 caregiving with an assist from the daughter, or it means buying that care in a facility (I suspect @M1's costs are fairly average).

We discussed divorce when my mom met with a CELA. They'd always had a marriage with highs and lows. The last 15 years before dad's moderate stage diagnosis were especially rough because dad was first grieving my sister (angry and offensively) and then in the earlier stages of dementia (with a loss of reasoning skills, empathy and social filter). Plus, one of dad's dementias was related to alcohol use disorder which was something he would not address.

I think a lot of what mom didn't like about dad and the marriage were the mood and behavior changes sometimes seen in the early stages of dementia. Dementia is about so much more than memory loss. In dad I noticed a turn to apathy and a darker crueler mood as early as 2005-- a full decade before I was able to force his diagnosis. Obvious memory loss to others developed about 3 years later.

Mom had been talking to me about a divorce for a couple years but was concerned about what folks would think, about losing her house at the beach and in FL, about dad losing her excellent health coverage and about me being burdened as dad's next-of-kin. When we talked to the CELA, she explained that dad would need guardian ad litem assigned and that a mediated divorce would not be possible. She also explained that the courts would not look favorably on her as a guardian with me (or his brother) available for the role. Mom didn't want to burden me, but she equally didn't trust me to do right by a man with whom I never got along.

My mom decided to take the gamble and remain married which worked out for all of us. She had to give up the houses for other reasons but landed on her feet otherwise. Dad had lost a chunk of their investments day-trading early in the disease which made downsizing necessary at some point. Once she understood that the miserable decade she'd lived through was the result of dementia and not her "real husband", she was invested in providing his care. She felt compelled to and was happy to be recognized by others for being a good wife and honoring her vows.

On the financial considerations, I did the math, given that dad died 18 months after his initial diagnosis, the separation of assets would have had me/my nieces inherit what would have been left of his assets which would have been about $200K or more if the divorce took time and he remained in care at home. When my aunt took over as guardian for her sister with dementia, she was required to write a will for her using a state mandated formula.

HB

• lookingforadvice
    First Comment

thank you so much for your info. They have a durable POA in their living will; which is helpful. I am financially illiterate about assets and taxes etc. but I am sure this will all be helpful to him.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more