Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Need help and advice for incontinence

Hello Everyone!

what was once in a while, is now non stop urinary incontinence. Using overnight padded underwear - did not work. At least the brand I am using. I fear the ADS will kick him out again as they bringing it to my attention. I am checking all his meds go this side effect. Thought it could be the Lexi pro. But it is not. . any advice - shared experiences- product advice , drug knowledge. So appreciated.

Comments

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Brokenhearted, I recently took the advice of @Ed1937 and called parentgiving.com ; the phone number is on their website. I spoke to a very helpful rep who listened to my specifics and then sent me samples, two each, of the products we thought might work best. I really advise you to do this. The Incontinence briefs I selected for my husband were a total flop; wrong size to begin with, and probably not up to the task. I have not had to use the replacements yet. Instead, like @Beachfan , I have become the pee police. He gets a reminder to go every two hours. He goes before we leave the house, whether he thinks he needs to or not. At ADS, make sure you ask the aides to remind him on that schedule. It has helped a lot. If he wakes in the night, I ask him to go, too. I know the day is coming when he'll need what I bought, but I feel better prepared. Folks are reluctant to make specific recommendations of products because what works for my DH might not work for yours. But parent giving can help you figure it out. They have lots of products that are not available in drug stores or big box stores, and many folks say they work better than the widely available ones here. Please call them.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I just use regular depends and dbl absorbent pads under the fitted sheet but almost every day and sometimes in the middle of the night I have to change the sheets. Just bought a new bed and the absorbent pads work really well protecting the bed. Washing and changing the sheets is not a big deal for me.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    edited February 11

We use a good quality pair of soft comfortable pull-ups and add a heavy duty pad to the inside. The pad is a thick one, the type designed for women after childbirth. It has a sticky backing that keeps it in place in the pull-up. If we check every couple hours we can often replace just the pad. At night I poke about 5 little holes in the sticky backing of the pad before placing it in the pull-up. That way, when the pad gets saturated it leaks down into the pull-up where it is absorbed, rather than over the sides.

We use large washable soft pad that has a moisture proof barrier in it on the bed. On top of that we use an extra large puppy pee pad. We usually have a couple wet spots on the pee pad, but not often on the washable pad. In the 2+ years of urinary incontinence, we’ve never had it reach the fitted bed sheet. My DH sleeps on his back and barely moves during the night so that probably helps.

• Jeannielou
    Jeannielou Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I use the absorbent pads on top of the sheet. that eliminates having to change sheets in the middle of the night. I take the pad off and replace it .Easier to wash the pads

• Jeannielou
    Jeannielou Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I use the absorbent pads on top of the sheet. that eliminates having to change sheets in the middle of the night. I take the pad off and replace it .Easier to wash the pads

• Brokenhearted in Illinois
    Brokenhearted in Illinois Member Posts: 70
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

Thank you for your advice !

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia