Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Update - Sudden Decline In Ability To Walk

Joe C.
Joe C. Member Posts: 944
Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

As I posted two months ago, my DW who is in MC rapidly lost her ability to walk. We tried getting a sample to check for a UTI but were unsuccessful. To complicate this decline an outbreak of norovirus raced through the facility about infecting residents (including DW) and staff shortly after she stopped walking. I was determined to get her up and moving again so I enlisted family and friends to help me walk her with two person support a few times a day. After a couple of weeks I was able to walk her alone using a gate belt. Then I was able to get a physical therapist twice a week and a personal trainer 2-3 times a week to work with her on walking. Over the last two months she has continued to gradually improve to where now I can walk with her just holding her hand. Most important she is now able to get up and dance during music activities which make her happy and me very happy.

This past week DW has experienced a rapid decline in her ability to walk. As I have mentioned in previous post DW loves music and dancing. Last Tuesday we were dancing to a televised Elvis concert but each day since then here ability to stand independently or walk has noticeably declined on a daily basis. When I went to visit this morning she was in a wheelchair, the MC staff told me that when they got her up this morning she could not stand on her own. I attempted to get her up walking but after 10 or 15 feet I needed to get her back in the wheelchair. She has been in early stage 7 for a while and I knew this day would come but the transition was so rapid it shocked me.

DW has not recognized me as her husband for several years but was always willing to dance when I put on music. I have felt for sometime that dancing was one of the last activities we could enjoy together and now it’s gone. Once again Alzheimer’s has ripped my heart out and made me breakdown and cry.😪

Comments

• Brokenhearted in Illinois
    Brokenhearted in Illinois Member Posts: 70
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

Dear Joe.

not quite as rapid, but my DH has been unable to walk within a few months. We are one step away from a wheel chair. Very sad as he would love to join me to walk The dog. But I cannot manage. The neurologist nurse did suggest another ct scan of the brain, but I thought what would the point be.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Oh Joe, how heartbreaking! Such a fun thing - dancing to Elvis. You have made some great memories for yourself that will be with you for a long time. I am so sorry the dancing will stop now. You are a special person.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Joe- did they check for a UTI? I ask because when my mom had the undiagnosed UTI that brought her situation to a head, she couldn’t walk other than to shuffle with support. We all thought she was stage 6/7. Once she was treated for urosepsis ( because the doctors missed the UTI), she could walk fine with a cane. of course that was 4 years ago and she now uses a walker.

I’m just speculating that a UTI might be in play in your case because I really don’t know much about stage 7.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Joe, I’m so sorry. It is heartbreaking when our loved ones lose another of their few remaining abilities. My husband is still struggling to stand and walk after his recent bout of pneumonia. Sending hugs and prayers.

Brenda

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

That was my first thought due to the suddenness. Maybe worth checking for UTI, or our hospice team would just prescribe it as a precaution with little risk at this stage.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 354
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

I agree with checking for a UTI. DH. already in a wheelchair, becomes very weak and unable to bear any weight at all during transfers when he has a UTI. Hospice will prescribe a broad-spectrum antibiotic to start with. If you can get a urine specimen, they may be able to recognize the type of bacteria by the color of the urine. DH's last UTI was not clearing with Bactrim, but when the nurse saw green urine in his catheter bag, she recognized that as indicative of Pseudomonas bacteria and the Rx was changed to Cipro.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm so sorry Joe, every loss hits home. My partner won't dance with me, but she'll let me hold her hand and shake it in time to the music. We've called it "lap dancing" for years. She'll still let me do that.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Joe I’m so sorry . I remember when you said “dancing would be the “. My dh has gone from shuffling his feet to actually just dragging it. So afraid he’s going to fall but he has no idea what to do with his walker. I’m keeping you and your wife in prayers!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Joe, I'm sorry. Please have them check for UTI. It's too easy not to do it. At least you have a little hope.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Joe C.

That is really amazing. I am so happy you were able to help her get that skill back so successfully. Music was dad's thing, too.

HB

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Glad it was successful Joe. My partner is having increasing difficulty walking and with falls too. I like the idea of a personal trainer, may have to consider that if she'll do it (iffy).

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Great news!

• GiGi1963
    GiGi1963 Member Posts: 101
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Glad you are able to walk and dance with your wife again. Wonderful effort on your part, Joe.

• Chammer
    Chammer Member Posts: 140
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

@M1 maybe the personal trainer is her new "dance partner" or someone "learning the ropes of construction/farming... come walk w me and teach me while we walk because I have restless legs and can't sit still" You have said your partner is a strong lady w strong opinions and an introvert but maybe her "helper gene" will kick in if she thinks she is guiding someone even if she only says few words.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more