Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Nightmares

LJCHR
LJCHR Member Posts: 192
100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I read that nightmares go along with this disease. My DH has been having nightmares that he acts out to the degree that I've had to move to a different room.

He had one last night that woke me up with his screaming. I ran to the room and called his name. When I did he yelled "He's got a gun." I called his name again and he woke up. The severity of the nightmare was very frightening to me and I had a hard time going back to sleep. I found this information on the internet that I have copied and pasted below:

"Within one study, Alzheimer’s patients were examined in terms of nightmare development. Since this disease causes a loss of cholinergic function in the brain, the acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, known as donepezil, was administered. Although this drug can improve cognitive performance, it also influences sleep quality and the manifestation of dreams.

Researchers found a clear association between nightmares and an evening dose of donepezil among Alzheimer’s patients. In comparison, when the dose was taken in the morning, none of these patients reported nightmares — meaning, the time of intake is relevant. It was concluded that donepezil activates the visual association cortex during REM sleep.

This has also been seen among patients with MCI (mild cognitive impairment). It has been concluded that the use of donepezil may cause over-activation of the cholinergic nervous system, resulting in more severe and frequent sleep issues. If you’re concerned about any medications currently prescribed to you or your loved one, speak with your physician."

When he started on Aricept we were told to take at night because of the possible stomach issue. He has been on it 2 years+ now and tolerates it well.

Does anyone here give the medication in the morning? I do plan to talk to our Neurologist about this but was curious.

Comments

• mpang123
    mpang123 Member Posts: 228

My mother was prescribed donepezil and it gave her nightmares so she stopped taking it.

• LJCHR

That's interesting. Thanks for the feedback. This disease is so complicated.......

• Jeannielou
    Jeannielou Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

My DH takes it in the morning. He tolerated it very well in the beginning but has begun to have nightmares. I wondered if they are part of the disease or medication. I plan to discuss it with his MD. He is in early stage multifactional dementia

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

My sister never had nightmares, but back when she first started taking donepezil she told me had very vivid dreams. She took those meds in the morning.

• Elizabeth607
    Elizabeth607 Member Posts: 25
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

My DH takes 10 mg donepezil in the morning with breakfast. His Doctor said not to take it at night because of nightmares. He doesn't appear to have any nightmares and sleeps through the night.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

you won't know if the Aricept/donepizil is contributing unless you stop it. It can always be restarted if it makes no difference.

• KAY61
    KAY61 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

My husband is currently having very vivid, acting out nightmares. I asked his neurologist to move the medication/donepezil to a morning dose and she agreed. We just made the change. If you are comfortable sharing the information please let me know what your doctor says and if it helps with the nightmares. My husband has been talking the medication for over a year and it wasn't until the past 4 months that the nightmares happened and got worse. The nightmares got worse within a very short period of time. Thank you.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Yup! My DH took it at night first, had nightmares, then we switched to morning. That made a big. Unfortunately the medication only helped a six months. We switched to Namenda after that with good.

• LJCHR

I will let you know when we see the Neurologist. We are changing doctors and hope to see the new one sometime in June/July timeframe. In the meantime, we went ahead and switched his medication to take in the morning and not evening. It's too early to know, but it can't hurt.

I recall that the Neurologist said to take the pill in the evening with food because of the possibility of it upsetting your stomach. My DH handles the pill very well.

Thank you for your feedback.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney