Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Friday 9:30A

Officially moving DW to MC. Bittersweet. Looking forward to being alone, I have lots of good friends so I won't be completely alone. Coming and going when I want. Want to go flyfishing again or just stand by a stream and listen to the water and the wind in trees. I've been down this dementia road for a long time so in all honesty I really don't know what I'm going to do but it will be nice not always considering how everything I do will effect her, every minute of every day revolves around her. Bittersweet because I will be so worried for a while how's she's doing.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

We'll be anxious to hear. Will be thinking of you.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I hope it all goes well for you and your DW. For me, it's been 18 months since I placed my DW...and I still don't know what I'm going to do.

Let us know how it goes.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Happy to hear you have a date set. I think we have all been worried about your health and stress level. I’ll be thinking about you and your DW on move in day.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Keeping you and your DW in my prayers that all goes smoothly.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

May the move go well and may you have peace and joy again. You certainly deserve it.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Just adding my good wishes for a calm and smooth transition for both you and your DW.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Good luck Friday. We'll all be thinking about you and praying for you and your beloved wife. xo

• GiGi1963
    GiGi1963 Member Posts: 101
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Ghphotog, I hope Friday is smooth. I know you have done all you could for your wife. Please don't feel guilt about your decision. Don't visit for at least two weeks. I went everyday to see my husband. After eight guilt filled days, I brought him home. Don't do that! Big expensive mistake and I know he has to go back. I'm a lot wiser now. Hope you are stronger in doing what is best for you. Hugs.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I’ve been thinking about you a lot. I know you’ve been struggling with this decision for a while. I hope you feel some peace now that you’ve made it. It isn’t easy. None of this is easy. My husband has been in memory care for three weeks and I still miss him terribly. Visits are getting easier but it’s still hard to leave him. A lot of people say don’t visit for two weeks but I visited him the very next day. And I’m glad I did. I think it helped reassure him that he wasn’t being abandoned. Everyone’s different, though so you will need to decide what’s best for you and your DW. You have been a loving caregiver for a long time now and you have done all you can to take care of her. I pray you find peace knowing you have done and and continue to do what’s best for her. Sending hugs.

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Ghphotog,

I add my wishes that Friday goes smoothly for both you and your DW. You have loved your wife and provided 24/7 support for so long. I pray that, even though the transition is emotionally gut wrenching, you will find it good to love your wife as her husband without the 24/7 load on your shoulders. My prayers are with you both.

Tom

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Sending thoughts for a smooth transition and peaceful adjustment for you and your DW.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

we all support you and applaud you for doing the right thing for both your DW and yourself. She will receive full time professional care and you will you get back some control over your life and health. And you will, as we say, be a husband first, overseeing her care rather than providing it all, hands on.

Hoping things go smoothly on Friday. We have your back.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Wishing you the very best on Friday and all the following days. You have done everything you possibly could do and have been a loving and caring caregiver. You need some rest and peace in your life. Enjoy just standing by the water and really hearing the wind in the trees! (Sounds like a dream to me lol)! Take care!

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 196
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary

Keeping you in my thoughts as you and your LO transition to a new stage in your journey together.

• RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

Today, Valentine's Day, was a difficult day for me. It was our 42nd. I placed her in MC a short walk from our home last May. I brought her flowers and we listened to love songs.

It's a difficult decision for all of us. It is different for all of us. Trust your gut. Try not to second guess yourself. I have found that there are new friends and support to be found in placing her. It's worked out well for us.

I'm finding time for rest, finding some peace, but still working on joy.

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Wishing you well ghphotog. Hoping for a smooth transition for both of you. So happy you will have some freedom back and opportunities to do what you love.

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

My heart is with you. There is nothing more I can add to the other supportive responses. You will be in my thoughts. Kathy

• M1

Thinking about you tthis morning gh. Please update us when you can. Hoping for the best.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited February 16

I will update everyone I also want to thank everyone for the support, prayers and thoughts. I've read every comment.

Spent yesterday getting her room set up and now I'm thinking how do I get her out of the car when we arrive. She can still be somewhat perceptive. The "team" is supposedly going to meet us when we arrive and take her back and spend time helping her get situated. I really hope they do because the last thing would be to get her in the building and they leave her alone while they go back to what they were doing. That would be tragic for her to be left alone or ignored by staff once she's through the door. I hope all of that talk about meeting us and staying with her wasn't just a sales pitch but we'll see in a few hours from now.

H

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@ghphotog

Add me those wishing you and your DW calm as you transition and adjust to professional care.

I dreaded the actual logistics for weeks. I'm sure you've chosen well and that the team will assist you with the you both getting into the building and settled. We created a fiblet of taking dad to "see a new doctor". I pulled under the portico, parked and assisted dad through the door where we were greeted by the director and activities person. The latter swept him away to the activities are where they were having ice cream matinee. She sat dad between two of the more social residents and shooed us off to do paperwork.

HB

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I know you have struggled mightily with this decision. It is very obvious that you love your wife and want what is best for her. I hope the transition goes well for both of you.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Sending you positive thoughts for the move and bright ones for finding your new way of living.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

GH so glad the handoff went well! I can understand the emotions you must be feeling; rest easy in that you did the right thing for both of you. xo

• M1

whew. So glad. I am sure you will have the wind knocked out of your sails, but that's okay. Grief, grief.

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thinking of you and praying you are Ok. Can’t imagine the emotions you have now that you’re alone. Take good care of yourself and know you are a stellar hubby💙

• Jazzma
    Jazzma Member Posts: 105
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Wow. I am so moved by your situation and all of the following comments. I'm on the cusp of placing my DH and tortured by thoughts of him being alone in a strange place. At the same time, thinking of the relief of being alone and able to sleep through the night. I hope that you find peace in making a good decision for someone you obviously love very much. All the best.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more