Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Overnight report for first night in MC.

Last night was my DW's first night in MC and received a message a few minutes ago that she had a good night, made a new friend and they are together now. Such a relief to hear.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

every bit of news is good news. Here's hoping the adjustment is easy.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Great news!!

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Great news, now relax!! Clearly, placement is always harder on the PWD than on those on the outside. Recognize that there may be bumps along the way- - some huge, some minor- - but don’t go looking for trouble. You have done all you can do up to this point. Try to enjoy the release of daily caregiving, rest, and take time to plan for pleasant visits with DW as her husband first, “care manager”, second. One day at a time (and it will take one day at a time). Best wishes.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

That's great. Hopefully that will ease your mind. I know you have had a terrible time with the decision. I hope you can get some rest now, and things continue on a positive note.

• GiGi1963
    GiGi1963 Member Posts: 101
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

So happy to hear her first night was a success. Now, go enjoy your Saturday!

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Glad to hear she is adjusting well. Hope this continues.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Yea!

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Very happy for you. I suspect that based on the first night it will continue to go well.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Second night, not as well but not bad persay. I'm so worried about her right now, it's crazy.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ghphotog I know how hard placing your wife was. Everything takes a toll, but it does get better. It sounds like it's going well. Now take care of you as well. My prayers continue for us all.

Stewart

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

You're in my thoughts ghphoto.

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Ghphotog,

I'm glad the 1st night went well. In my experience there are good and bad days both at home and in MC. I continue to pray for both of you as you walk the path. I trust that you will be sure to take as good care of yourself as you do of your DW.

Tom

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Alright!

• ghphotog

Thank you everyone! I went to see her today and brought her a coca cola. Got their while she was having lunch. They gave me a plate so I ate lunch with her, walked in the courtyard and set in the gazebo. It was so good to see her, hold her hand again. The maintenance guy walks by and says "Hello beautiful!" She eats it up. She looks happy. The mornings are still a little rough for her but the get busy doing things and she's fine.

When I left I told her I had to go to work and would see her soon. I looked back and she was already socializing with the others.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

So good to hear gh!!! And nice picture too. Glad to hear the update.

• BPS
    BPS Member Posts: 74
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

That is a nice picture and it looks like she is doing well. I hope that continues. I may be moving my wife to MC before long and even though there are some ups and downs hearing how it is going gives me hope.

• ghphotog
    edited February 20

It's still too soon to call it a victory but she seems to be thriving with all of the socialization and activies. She seems much happier than being here with me. :)

I was going through the photos on my phone and whenever I have doubt that I did the right thing, those videos and photos remind me I did.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW definitely seemed calmer when she began her residency at her MCF. I have commented a number of times here that our home was definitely a trigger for anxiety and confusion. Our home [which she didn’t always recognize as our home] made her feel she should be doing her normal routine of chores and hobbies but she could no longer understand just what those things were or how to do them.

I hope your DW continues to adjust to her MCF. And I hope you can take it easy on yourself, IMHO you’ve done the right thing.

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

You are an inspiration

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you so very much for sharing this update and photo. Glad you were able to have a good visit with your DW

• RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

So glad that is working out for you. My experience with MC is that most of the folks that work there really care.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thrilled for you that the early read is your DW is making a great adjustment. Yours may be the harder adjustment! Your DW is being well taken care of. Hope you are now able to start taking care of yourself too.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

So happy to hear that your DW is having some moments of happiness at MC. I'm sure it means the world.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

GH your DW is beautiful and I love her hair. I hope she continues to thrive. Seeing her doing well at the MC must give you a little comfort and affirm your decision to place her. xo

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more