Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The Train Rumbles On

Since I placed my DW in MC two days ago I've realized just how strong the bubble of stress we live in day and day out, year after year is. We are always under stress with no escape from it. It almost becomes background noise. It's always there but we are so used to it that it's like living next to the railroad tracks. At first the sound of the train rumbling by and the horn are deafening but after a few years you still hear it but you've become so accustomed to it and preoccupied with caregiving that it's just background noise but it's always there destroying the body.

The train still rumbles by shaking the ground, the walls, the foundations, still doing it's damage but it's not until you move away that you realize how loud it's been for so long.

The early days of this disease as I saw it coming stressed me out beyond belief but after 6-8 years of this disease you almost become numb to it because you just don't have time to acknowedge it anymore because every waking and even non-waking moment is held captive with caregiving. Even at night, when my DW would wake up I was awake to make sure she was ok, didn't need changing and most nights she did and so did the bed sheets. I rarely was able to sleep through the night.

Now, in the evening, the silence here at home is deafening. I understand the phrase that "silence is deafening". All I hear is the ringing in my own ears now. I love the silence however. It's been a long time since I've been able to just acknowledge the quietness but it also makes me acknowledge the stress I've felt over the years.

It's not over for me and more stress is just around the corner as I worry about her and as the disease progresses I know that will lead to more worry and stress. My stress now is financial as within a year or two at the most our retirement savings will be evaporated and that year or two will be here much quicker than I want to think about.

There is no escape from this disease until it's completely over. They will continue to slide down the rabbit hole as it becomes darker and darker, with no way to get back, until they reach the bottom, then it's over.

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes, yes and yes.

Thank you for putting it into words....

• BPS
    BPS Member Posts: 74
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

I don't post often but I hope the best for you. I am considering MC for my wife. I have not had to deal with some of the things you did but the stress is like you say always there. I think you are right that even after placement even though there probably is a relief but then new issues come up. I will be interested in hearing how you adjust to being able to come and go when you want. Sometimes I think that I would go out and do as much as I can and sometimes I think being here all the time has become normal to me and maybe I would just stay home with nothing to do. I hope I am wrong about that and that you do get out in the fresh air and find a nice stream to enjoy.

wishing you the best.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I'm so sorry @ghphotog

My situation is very different from yours - I'm caring for my sister, not my spouse, but I absolutely get the train analogy. It feels exactly like that.

• RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

That is an excellent description of what it’s like both at home and when LO goes to MC.

I got frustrated with some things at MC last week and started to consider moving her back home, but then I remembered “the train” and having to watch her slide down the rabbit hole 24/7.

I am so sorry. Take care.

• WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

How eloquently said. Thank you for sharing your experience.

I am at the beginning of the journey as a caregiver and just in one year I am seeing my tolerance for living in this stressful reality is increasing. I find opportunities to “zone out” when my DH is telling me the same news story for the fifth time in two hours. I also try to be grateful he can still follow the news and retell it accurately!

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

@ghphotog. Thank you for so eloquently putting into words how it feels being a caregiver for my DH. I think I will save the train analogy in my memory bank to pull out when I try and explain how I’m feeling. I particularly like when you mentioned at night when you would wake up when your DW did, just to make sure all was ok. Every single night that occurs in my house.

• WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

I am sorry you are on this journey but hopefully you will find some comfort and help here.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

So true. I also think the analogy of the frog in water which slowly comes to a boil and the frog just doesn't have a clue because he has been in the pot for so long.

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

What I have observed with caregivers is that they end up normalizing the way they are living + what they are experiencing over a period of time. The frog in hot water is a good comparison.

No matter how stressful + bizarre their life becomes, they are unable to see how harmful it is to them to be in their situation 24/7. They lose the ability to objectively see the impacts on their mental + physical health that may be irreversible. Having someone from the outside to observe, analyze + make recommendations(or insights) to the caregiver is sometimes very helpful, but many caregivers live with this so long they are resistant to making decisions that could be advantageous to both the PWD + the caregiver.

I urge caregivers to try to detach a bit + try to look at their situation as if it was someone else’s reality and how they would advise others if they observed it from an outside perspective.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

ButterflyWings said:

“But staying with the theme, who remembers that famous Gladys Knight song "Midnight Train to Georgia"? I honor those caregivers who have made the choice for placement. You still care, and still have major roles to play in the day-to-day decisions. As for me, just like my precious MIL its that line from the above song: "I'd rather live in his world, than live without him, in mine". That's the way it is. And I'm OK with that.”

Yes, that’s the way it is. I ‘m OK with that too.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

The train rumbles on is an apt description of this disease - whether you are a 24:7 caregiver or not. I think we all often feel like the train ran over us and adjusts its route in order to do so again.

Truthfully the train is still following you / placement just allows you some hours of being in the sleeper car. Your seat on the train will change, but you will still be either a passenger or a person working on the tracks since you will now be her advocate. You just get stops to get out and stretch your legs.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more