Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

When do you actually know when not to leave them alone anymore

My daughter wanted me to ask Nurologist this question, now understand, as I'm sure i mentioned, my wife was diagnosed 15 months ago moderate onset dementia she is fine with EVERYTHING but no driving, doesn't have any desire to cook, has short term memory , repeats same stories you all get it and gets confused easy will vaccum. Can have conversations and all.also has anosognosia. I don't think there's an answer but never know. So let me know.

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Good question...

I think safety is the key. If there is a fire, a fall etc, does your wife know how to call for help???

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I can still leave my DH alone for a couple of hours at a time, but I do check in by calling or texting. Thank goodness he can still figure out both. I make sure my volume is up and I can answer immediately if he calls me. Thankfully he has no desire to cook or even drive. Things just go missing when I’m gone. So for now, I’m comfortable leaving basically once a day to go shopping and tend to my horse.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Charley, another way to think about this (and this applies to many decisions with this disease: if you're starting to ask the question, you may be close to having the answer. I believe the Tam Cummings model classifies stage 4/moderate dementia as equivalent to a teenager; stage 5 is equivalent to an 8-12 year old. I think jfkoc is right. If you have the sense that she could still know how to call for help in an emergency, then she may be okay. If not, then she shouldn't be alone. When my partner started calling me within minutes of my having left the house, I knew her days of being okay alone were over.

• Belle60
    Belle60 Member Posts: 46
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

I am so thankful for your post. I have been wondering the same thing. I think my DH is getting closer to needing someone home all the time but right now he is safe at home while I work. He can still use his phone and frequently texts me when he needs something. I will also check in with him during the day and can get home within 15 minutes from work. But I know it is coming. I am trying to hang on another year before I retire but not sure I will make it. Good suggestions! I know when I have set the smoke alarm off cooking😁 he responds, hears it and helps me turn it off. I have a front door camera that I check frequently and was thinking of getting one in the back of the house too.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

The part that weighs on me is "shit can happen in a minute".. but I hear stories on here how someone can change over night. If only this illness had same sensible path

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

You will know when the time is arriving. If you are concerned about them being alone then that probably is the time to never leave them alone.

For me it was a slow process. I was caring for my mom at the time as well and I had to take my mom to the doctor. I had an Alexia device and video camera in the living room setup where I could just talk to her. I checked the video camera and couldn't see her, then I called out to her on the Alexa and could hear that she was in great distress in the bathroom. She had made a mess and didn't know what to do. My mom was in the middle of a procedure so I couldn't leave. I called some good friends that are retired nurses and they went over and cleaned her up and put on clean clothes for her. My mom was not capable any longer to keep her safe either. Never left her alone after that. Took her everywhere with me, to work, golf, everywhere then I got her enrolled in a daycare program that was great. The staff there were so good to her and I couldn't imagine not having at least the daycare option.

Friends and family always told me to call them if I ever needed help, so I did. They watched her for me once or twice and never again so that option was out.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Did your daughter ask you that because she was just curious? Planning for the future? Or because you two have differing opinions on whether she should be left alone now?

carefully consider your wife’s behavior and consider if you would leave a child alone that showed the same behavior. How is her mood when you leave and when you get back - is she anxious about being alone? Can you trust her not to open the door to strangers?

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

My Tim sleeps in. I go do errands in the early morning because I think he will stay in bed til 11 AM.

Don't get much sleep as a result.

• charley0419

We have different opinions on leaving her alone. But I know she won't answer door or phone if doesn't recognize name. My wife hinds it very very well.i truly believe in my heart she's safe for now.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,357
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@charley0419

With all due respect and sincerity, how does "My wife hinds [sic] it very very well" play into this exactly? If her executive function has tanked to the degree that she has not cooked in 2 years and her daughter believes she isn't safe home alone, explain to me how her grooming and manners will protect her in an emergency. Hiding a deficit isn't the same as not having one.

The other piece to this is your safety. What if you were running errands or had a doctor's appointment and were in a bad accident and transported to the hospital unable to speak? What if first responders ran your identification and called the number associated with to inform family? What if there was no answer, so they sent someone to the house? What if she didn't answer then? Or what if she did and she was stressed by your absence and the police contacted APS?

There was a gentleman in our IRL support group who biked to cope with the stress of caregiving. He lived on the same block as his youngest son and only ever biked if someone would be home there just in case. He wore a medical alert bracelet identifying himself as a dementia caregiver with his son's contact information. His wife wore a bracelet as well identifying her as a PWD and listing him and their son as emergency contacts. This strategy bought him about an extra year of freedom to grab respite on his bike.

HB

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I second everything Butterflywings and harshedbuzz have said Charley. I think you would be well advised to listen to your daughter on this one.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I’m going to agree also that you should not be leaving her alone. My dh was in stage 4, decided to get up, went into the kitchen to get a glass of water. (We had some plastic glasses but he never would use them) he had to have glass. I was tired and didn’t think anything would go wrong, I was home with him so what could happen? I heard the glass hit the floor but was half asleep, he came back in to the bedroom room and said “I think my foot is bleeding “. I became fully awake, turned the light on and saw he had a big piece of glass stuck in his foot. He said it doesn’t hurt! Took me a while to get it out and a good while to get it to stop bleeding. Paramedics came checked it out. Scared the daylights out of me. No more glass anything in our house. Yes things happen but if I had gone to the kitchen with him he would not have been hurt. I knew then and there no way could he ever be by himself again. If that had happened in daytime and I wasn’t there he could have bleed to death!

• elainechem
    elainechem Member Posts: 153
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

For me, I started thinking about this just months after my hubby was forced to retire after 35 years at his company. I had also stopped him from driving shortly after that. He still seemed to be fairly "with it", so I wasn't sure. One day, I asked him a few questions.

1. If there were a fire in the house, what would you do?

2. If there were a flood in the house, like from a broken pipe, what would you do?

3. If you were badly hurt, what would you do?

All three of his answers were the same. He would wait for me to return home and let me decide.

Bad answer! I envisioned him cutting an artery and sitting on the sofa and bleeding out while he waited for me to return. He didn't even mention calling 911. If he had done that, I would have asked him what he would say to them? Could he even give them the correct address?

I had a paid caregiver coming out within two weeks.

• charley0419
    edited February 24

You woke me up on this. Thank you never thought if something happened to me Thank you. Funny what you don’t consider

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Be sure to register with your local police and give them a description of your DH, just in case they or someone else finds him.

I reached the "can't leave DW alone" stage recently. I had been volunteering locally three days a week and told DW I would be home for lunch. It started with calls, "Where are you? When will you be home?" It progressed to a delusion that goes something like this. "I used to live with a lovely man whom I loved, but he disappeared mysteriously. I don't know where he went, and I've been alone since. It's been years." Or, talking to me directly, something like, "Why didn't you tell me you were leaving [or divorcing] me?" DW implied there was someone else I was going to live with.

I think when DW is alone in the house, she thinks I'm gone completely and gets extremely anxious (understandably). But it's worse. I think she feels that way if I'm in a different room. And sometimes even when we wake up: "What time did you get here?"

I haven't yet figured what kind of in-home care I want. I don't think DW will be happy to have someone here as, effectively, a baby sitter, and neither of us is used to having anyone else in the house.

I have taken her to a day program several times so far, and I will keep pushing her to do that. Apart from freeing me for a few hours of the continuous attention she needs, she gets social interaction and mental stimulation that I don't provide.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more