Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

So conflicted and grieving at the prospect of mc for dh

One of the things that keeps resonating with me is the statement that many caregivers realize that they have waited too long to place their LO in memory care. I don't want to make that mistake.

My DH spends most of the day sleeping, and when he is not sleeping he is staring at the floor. His language skills are deteriorating and I often can't understand what he is saying. He uses words that aren't really words or speaks in a word salad that doesn't make any sense .

But the most alarming is his recent in inability to get out of bed without help. He says he can't move and I have to pull him up to a sitting position. He often needs help putting on clothing - pants and shirts. His mobility seems like it is fading every day. He needs total supervision and intervention re: personal hygiene.And while he mostly uses the toilet independently when he can find the bathroom, he has had 3 or 4 nighttime accidents that had me washing the floors at 3AM.

I have an appointment to see a MC facility on Wednesday. Since I made the appointment, I am racked with grief and guilt and sadness.

I would so appreciate any words of wisdom born of experience you all can give.

thanks to you all, Susan

Comments

• GiGi1963
    GiGi1963 Member Posts: 101
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Susan, it sounds like your husband is at the same spot as mine except for mobility issue. Word salad, no interests, sleeping more, angry most days. I put him in MC in early December and took him out before New Year. Visits tore at my heart and guilt about killed me! This cost me $14000 for a month. My point is to be sure before you place. Now I am going to put him in another mc facility. His bathroom misses are getting worse and I realize now it takes awhile for them to adjust to life in mc and for caregiver to give it a chance. Fight the guilt.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I guess you have to think about … what would happen if you couldn’t get him out of bed? … Do you have the strength to lift him without injuring yourself? It would be better to make the decision before that happens.

I’m hoping to care for my DH until I can no longer do it physically (lifting him is not an option - he’s 6’1” and I’m 5’2”), but I’m learning from everyone on here, that it might be best to do it before he reaches that point.

I mean … what would we do? Call 911 to take him to the hospital because I can’t get him out of bed? What happens at that point? Anyone been there?

One day at a time! Sometimes one stress-filled moment at a time!

• tetwoman
    tetwoman Member Posts: 34
    10 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

thanks for sharing GiGi - so when you place him in the next facility, how long are you going to give it? And how did you explain what was happening ? Did you pack a bag of clothing? Did you just arrive and then say "sweetheart, you're staying here now?" am I torturing myself with these questions and thoughts? Really, I can't stop crying

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

If you can't get your loved one up once, you can call the non-emergency line and the fire department (fire and rescue) will get them up, whether from the bed or the floor. The thing is, they can't do it every day, just as a one-time solution.

• GiGi1963

GH you put into words how I feel everyday. One part of me wants to carryout my vows and never quit while the other part wants to run away and have a couple of good years left. Every day brings its own drama and by the end of day I can barely manage to get into bed to await another day. Like you I don't think I can hang on much longer. Sad that I am not the strength he needs but I hope by placing him I will regain the love we have always shared.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited February 24

I am not there yet but I can see it coming with my DH's decline. Perhaps thinking about it this may help:

Placement in Memory Care is like calling the ambo and letting the paramedics help your loved one because you don't have the capacity to help them. You wouldn't refuse the paramedic's care. Would you?

It is still so hard. We grew up in an age of placement in a care facility was negatively viewed. We carry our past into our present thinking - we are still hanging on to the stigma society assigned and we are still buying it.

I am so glad and proud of you for having the courage to place your loved one. You are suffering from unjust guilt and hopefully will come to peace and an understanding that you did the right thing - that is heroic!

PS: Please remind me of this when I have to place my DH.

• GiGi1963

Denise, thank you for the kind words. I will be here for you when you need a shoulder. Seems it is more difficult for wives dealing with our husband's because we are by nature the nurturors.

• tetwoman

Oh! We are a tortured, sad bunch - aren't we..............

My sons say that I shouldn't allow myself to be dragged down along with DH. They say that Dad would never have wanted to put me through this, and they are correct. After another night of very little sleep (4 or 5 hours) I am too tired to clean, cook, shop or be patient or even nice. He of course is sleeping all day and I don't want to deal with trying to get him up and awake .

JSPS - I did face major surgery last year and believe that his needs negatively impacted my recovery. Sometimes I think it still does. If I had the same surgery today, I wouldn't be able to handle taking care of him and me.

I vacillate between thinking about how much better off I will be when he is in MC, and how confused and alone he might feel - abandoned. It tears me up. But each day, week, sleepless night, I come closer to making the move when they have a space for him.

• tetwoman

also, I commented to my therapist that I imagine that he would take better care of me and be able to keep me at home if it were I who had the Alzheimers.

She said - Don't put you husband on a pedestal - what make you think that you wouldn't present the same dilemmas to him if the roles were reversed?

Smart woman............

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I think we overlook that there are many tools we can use to care for our loved ones. Whether we're finding out about cabinet locks or the best disposable underwear we are looking for the tools to care for our loved ones. Memory care placement is another tool we can use, and we're still caring for our loved ones.

The conversation often seems to feel like we're kicking them out to dumpster-dive behind the Wal Mart, but that's not what we're considering when we consider placement in memory care. We're caring for them with a purpose-built facility, appropriate social and activities, and a full-time staff to meet their needs. Providing this care for our loved ones also allows us to meet out own needs (except financial) as well.

• GiGi1963

You are right about mc. I am hoping my husband bonds with some men to talk, eat lunch and do activities. Right now he is bored with home and me. He needs more social activities than going out to lunch together. Hoping this change will do him some good.

• tetwoman

Thank you so much for your comments Jazzma - I get a lot of strength from all of the folks in this forum -

I have an appointment to meet with the admissions director at a mc facility in 2 days. If there is an opening, I will take it right away because it's not a matter of if, but when. I fear he will fall and hurt himself in the house and every day he seems to lose more mobility - especially in the morning, needing help to get out of bed and get dressed. If there was hope that things would get better, that would be one thing .... but things will only get worse. And I also have a responsibility to my self and to my children and grandchildren to be here for them too. What a tough road we all have to trod.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Two years in to a very tough placement that continues to be challenging, I would reassure you that it's not the end of the world, at all. Most adjust quicker and better than my partner has, and despite that I know that it was the right thing to do, really there were not other alternatives. Don't despair, and let us know what happens.

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

@tetwoman -

my thoughts are with you. I know the lead-up to move day is torturous. I do believe our imaginations are actually harder on us than reality. Cause i didn’t imagine i could survive it, not how my mind was talking to me, the scenes my mind played out, the tragedy and pain of it all. But somehow i did. I didn’t escape any of the pain, didn’t try to avoid it or block it. I accepted it as part of making the right decision for the man i loved.

If the move goes forward for your DH, you’ll see each morning rise everyday after placement too. I promise 🙏. Each full day won’t feel good, you may doubt yourself, you may break down at unexpected times, and you may actually find yourself smile or laugh again when you felt like you lost the ability or energy. And those latter times will increase.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Placed my DW a few weeks ago and was the hardest thing I've ever had to do but she seems to be adjusting fairly well but the staff tell me she's very emotional in the morning and early evening, as she was at home. She cries a lot calling out for me.

Placing them in MC is both relieving and heartbreaking at the same time but sometimes it just has to be done. My heart is heavy when I think about her crying and looking all over for me.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Oh, dear. I'm so sorry to hear of your DH's decline and illness. I'm glad you've been able to act on his behalf to stop any unnecessary procedures. I'm praying that neither of you suffers for too long. I do think it's surely a good idea to get hospice involved. They may have ideas to increase his comfort that you have yet to pursue.

Hope that you find a way to come to peace with whatever is next. Praying for you both...

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm sorry he had another setback. I know that's hard for you to handle. But I don't think you need to worry about Medicare paying their share. Even if you have an advantage plan, they still have to honor everything that normal Medicare covers. Please keep us updated.

• Carolyn4255
    Carolyn4255 Member Posts: 11
    25 Care Reactions 5 Likes First Comment

My DH is in the early(ish) stage of his dementia journey, so caring for him at home isn't untenable as of now. I have the financial resources for MC (as long as he isn't there for years on end at which point I'd eventually run out of money). But I know that when the day comes to move him, it will be soul-crushing for me. The guilt and worry I'll feel will be off the charts. And there's no preparing myself for this. Having the advanced knowledge that MC is most likely my husband's destiny, it won't make it any easier when the day comes. I don't know how people get through it. I really don't.

• tetwoman

another update: DH started recovering in the hospital and today we moved him into mc. It doesn’t matter how I feel about it, the rational part of me knows that I can’t continue to take care of him so for now I am trying to not dwell on him.

you all are the best support group EVER! thank you everyone

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney