Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Your laugh for the day

Yesterday I was trying to open a prescription bottle with a child proof lid...the kind you have to press down and turn. My right hand is still recovering from carpal tunnel surgery but isn't very strong anyway due to arthritis. I tried and tried everything and every way I knew how to open the lid! I even threw it on the floor but it still wouldn't budge. Next I watched You Tube videos of how to open those kinds of lids. Still no luck. It wouldn't budge. I called my neighbor but she didn't answer. I needed my pills! Finally I thought what the heck and grabbed a hammer and gave that pill bottle a good whack! Yeah! I broke the bottle and was able to get my pills. DH always opened my pill bottles and jar lids for me but now I have to do it since he is in MC. At least I now know I can do it.

Comments

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Desperate times call for desperate measures <giggles>!

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

There’s an idea for an inventor, a little device that opens child proof pill bottles for senior.🤣

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Nice chuckle/visual first thing in the morning.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hahahaha

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Well done! Necessity is the mother of invention!

Thanks for the laugh! I can see your changing facial expression throughout this dilemma in my minds eye, right now. LOL🤣💡🔨 And to think I had to disappear ALL our tools when DH was hallucinating and weaponing up every night. Hope I don't get carpal tunnel syndrome, or I'll be up a creek without a hammer 😉

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

If I correctly remember, the pharmacies offered caps that would be easy to open for people who had problems with child-proof caps.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Charley, you showed that old pill bottle who was boss, didn't you? I have the same problem opening bars and bottles but I found the solution. QVC has a jar and bottle opener that adjusts to fit small to large. It fits over the lid in three places and locks on. . Has a longish handle that provides leverage. The other night I tried to open a jar of gelato that had slightly thawed, then refroze. No way could I open it until I used this jar opener. No problem at all. Check it out, you'll wonder, like I did, how you lived without it.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Oh man, I hear you about those stupid pill bottles.

One time I got so frustrated with one of them I got a knife and sliced the dratted thing in half (it was plastic). A hammer might be better. 🙂

• A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

As they say in Britain, "If at first you don't succeed, hit it with a bigger hammer!"

• WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

😂 I applaud your problem solving. You hammered out a solution!

• Jeannielou
    Jeannielou Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Pharmacies do offer non child proof caps but I have found that my mail away pharmacy does not. I have arthritis in my hands and it is impossible for me to open bottles. I keep a pliers in my kitchen draw and an old fashioned can opener for the pop top cans

• 2dogssing
    2dogssing Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

I was able to get user friendly caps from a mail order pharmacy. It does seem that all pharmacies default to child proof lids. I assume it is CYA. I promise that I have no young children that could possibly open any of my medications. I happen to live with 2 dogs and I know, despite the lack of opposing thumbs, that a childproof cap will not keep them out of the bottles. Usually I can get a chuckle and a non-childproof caps.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I can relate. I received a container of bath fuzzies for Christmas. The only way I could figure out to open it was to take scissors to it. I got it open, but I also got a paper type cut on my thumb on an open edge afterwards.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

That is so funny, I can just see you doing that! 😂. I didn’t think of the hammer but I did get my drill out and drilled several holes in that dang lid!

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Well, at least your own brain is obviously working well with all that creative thinking! 😂 I admire your sense of humor.

• debriesea
    debriesea Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Some child proof caps become non child proof if you turn them over. But any pharmacy should able to get you a non child proof lid. Your pharmacy can also get you a new medicine bottle. 🤭

I enjoy hearing all the ingenuity and improvising going on here. 😊

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

This whole conversation is hysterical! I love it. Decades ago, when I was a young lass trying to open a bottle of Midol, I did the same thing...only after throwing the bottle against the wall, trying to stomp on it, and after the hammer (if that didn't work) was going to run it over with my Chevy Vega. My roommate and her boyfriend stayed in their bedroom afraid, for hours.

Thanks for the laugh.

Kathy

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living