Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New diagnosis for my DW

My wife was diagnosed about a couple weeks ago with Alzheimer's. She had been exhibiting obvious symptoms since mid-2020, though, could've had some earlier that were attributed to aging.

So, I am at a loss as to where to begin care taking and how to plan for the days to come. Is there any place to look for these?

Humbly, thank you.

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

This site great for all questions, what’s your behavior now?

• coloradobear
    coloradobear Member Posts: 13
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

My DW has short term memory loss plus has trouble with some basic things like going into the bathroom and not knowing how to turn the lights on. The more concerning issue is she claims to 'see people' during the night, that they come into the bedroom and insult her or take her clothes. So, she has taken to moving her clothes around to sort of hide them. But mostly, she feels they don't have a right to tell her what to do in our house. I tried pointing out they are there once but she got very upset. I've never said that I can see them and she feels I'm not taking her seriously.

I am also reminding her to show regularly and to wear fresh clothes. She is middle stage, I would say. She's aware her diagnosis but not the ramifications.

• coloradobear

Thank you for your advice and insights.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited November 2023

Here is the link to the handout pkg M1 referenced. It is "a lot" at first glance, but not all of it will apply to your current stage or situation and not all things that happen to some PWDs will necessarily be in the future for you and your DW. Each person, brain and diagnosis is different. But we find it best to read as much as possible, just in case.

This forum has been my lighthouse and lifeline through 5 years of our inevitable downward spiral. You've received some excellent input so far. The members are the best resources that exist, bar none and our neuro doc referred me here on diagnosis for that very reason.

This free article on "Understanding the Dementia Experience"

by Jennifer Ghent-Fuller is also often encouraged for "newbies". I am sorry you had need to join our elite club, but glad you found us. There is much wisdom, compassion, and experience here.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Coloradobear, This is so very much like my DW. I've been dealing with hallucinations and delusions for a couple of years now. I thought at some point she would move out of this phase but so far, not yet.

Hang in there and seek advice here. It's a great resource and the people here that are ahead of you or who've gone before you have a great deal of wisdom and insight.

• coloradobear

Thank you for the link and PDF and your kind words and support.

• coloradobear

Thank you for sharing your experience and encouragement for using this site.

• darcytg
    darcytg Member Posts: 94
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Coloradobear,

Welcome. I am new, too.

My LO has indicated she sees a person in her room at night a few times.

This forum has been a lifeline for me.

Such a tragic and poignant journey we're all on.

Glad you're here.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Type of dementia is difficult to diagnose. Please go online and read everything you can about the protocol. Then make certain your wife's diagnosis was made following proper protocal.

Please keep your neurologist in the loop. They will want to be informed and will possibly make a referral to a psychiatrist for drugs prescriptions.

What to expect? Hard to say but being educated is going to hel you and you wife with whatever comes your way.

Additionally we are always here to listen and help as best we can.

• coloradobear

Our neurologist prescribed a medication called Quetiapine, however, has not made a referral to a psychiatrist. Has anyone had experience with this drug? I'm thinking I need to push for a referral before giving this to my DW, as I have no idea what outcome to expect (outside of the possible side effects that I Googled).

Thank you.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

quetiapine is the generic for an. atypical antipsychotic with brand name Seroquel. What you probably saw on Google was that it carries a "black box" warning for vascular events in the elderly. Despite that, I would reassure you that it's a well tolerated and effective medication in dementia (my partner takes it, as well as many others on this forum). The doses used in dementia (typically anywhere from 25-400 mg per day) are less than what are used in schizophrenia (up to 800 mg/day). FWIW I'm an internist--I would tell you that it's okay to try it even while you are waiting on a referral (which is never a bad idea). There are occasional adverse reactions (such as increased agitation rather than decreased), but it's generally pretty well tolerated and is a standard first medication to try. The benefit of starting a referral would be that if it's not effective or she needs a dose change, then you have the expertise in place.

If you search, there are many many threads about quetiapine/Seroquel, it comes up frequently. I hope it helps in your case.

• coloradobear

One question I have is as to its effect (and my apologies for my naive question). Does it make the hallucinations go away?

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Answer to that is possibly, may be dose dependent... Or at least dampen down her response to them. definitely worth a try.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more