Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

PET results

I’d love input on my DH PET results.

My DH is 53 and we’ve been trying to figure out what is going on with him for more than a year. We finally got an appt at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville last month, which was great. The doc had him do an MRI, ECG, EEG, extensive blood panels, and a PET MRI. I haven’t been able to get a follow up appt scheduled with the doctor yet - so frustrating.

in the meantime, my husband’s PET results are below. In going down the Google rabbit hole, it seems like this is likely EOAD based on the parts of the brain with hypometabolism. Based on your experience, what do you guys think?

INDICATION: Dementia, nonvascular etiology suspected. AD versus FTD.

FINDINGS: There is symmetric mild relative hypometabolism involving bilateral parietal lobes superiorly including the precuneus as well as medial temporal lobes. Cortical metabolism is otherwise well-maintained.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum, though sorry you needed to find us. I don't think it tells you a lot other than confirming early onset dementia of some sort. I don't think the findings are specific enough to distinguish between AD and FTD....but I could be wrong. Was there an "Impression" from the radiologist in addition to the findings? That may tell you more what the radiologist's interpretation is.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

The PET scan is only one bit of data for making the diagnosis of AD and should be interpreted by someone who has access to other data, especially neurocognitive testing.

• wizmo
    wizmo Member Posts: 96
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Hypometabolism means the brain is absorbing less than normal energy it needs to function. My DW also had this finding as a supporting part of her EOAD diagnosis. There were multiple other factors mainly starting with neuropsych battery of tests - the kind that takes 3-4 hours to administer, with subpar scores on multiple components that led to imaging. The more obvious finding in our case was very definitive brain MRI showing widespread losses, quantized scoring at 2% (only 2% of 'normal' population would have this result).

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I agree with Marta.

Isn't the "indication," the reason the test was done?

• laughsloudly
    laughsloudly Member Posts: 6
    First Comment

Thank you. Here is the impression: Symmetric mild hypometabolism involving superior parietal lobes bilaterally including the precuneus as well as medial temporal lobes.

• laughsloudly
    First Comment

Thank you. He had neuropsych tests done last May that did not point to dementia, though they are being done again this May.

• laughsloudly
    First Comment

Thank you. His MRI impression is: Essentially unremarkable MRI of the brain.

• laughsloudly
    First Comment

I thought indication was more like what the radiologist thinks based on the imaging, but maybe I am wrong. This is all new to me for sure.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Pretty nonspecific. It’s not a normal PET scan but is likely not going to differentiate between Alzheimers and FTD. It sounds like the tracer (the chemical administered) was glucose and not specific to amyloid-that is what would potentially have differentiated the two. Insurance doesn’t often cover the latter unfortunately.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I think what the radiologist thinks is the "impression."

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 797
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

"Indication" is the reason for the test performed

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

From what we've been told, the hypometabolism involving superior parietal lobes bilaterally including the precuneus as well as medial temporal lobes would be more of an indication of ALZ. FTD usually shows hypometabolism in the frontal temporal lobes, and does not initially start in the parietal lobes.

Someone please correct me if this is not correct

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

If the neurocognitive testing did not point to dementia, what did it point to? Has he had an overnight sleep study in a sleep lab for sleep apnea?

Iris

• laughsloudly
    First Comment

The results didn’t really point to anything because they were only “off” a bit in a couple of places. He is having them redone tomorrow actually, so we’ll see what happens.

We are in the process of getting a sleep study scheduled too.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

You are in the uncomfortable position of not having a definite diagnosis. The diagnosis of the dementias is a rule out diagnosis, meaning ruling out all possible medical causes of memory loss. If the extensive testing results are unremarkable, this leaves a dementia as the diagnosis. People tend to rely on an imaging study to be definitive, and to point the way. But this is usually not the case. People don't want to make plans until they are definitely sure. While you are in this period, take the steps to manage legal and financial affairs. Think about if you will want to move or remain where you live now. Think about driving and other safety issues. If you have a bucket list, think about that now.

Iris

• Lgb35
    Lgb35 Member Posts: 93
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

My DH has not had a PET but many other tests including spinal tap. He is currently diagnosed with MCI. He is presenting atypical for both AD and FTD which they feel he is one or the other. At this point it’s just time before we know. DH is 60. He is still working but likely not to much longer. We have another neuropsychological evaluation mid April. This is the main test they will be doing to gage decline.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more