Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Apple watch and falls

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

DW was always the techie and now my son in law has the role

Everyone insisted I should get an Apple Watch for its fall notification. When your children are as smart as mine you do as you are told. so I got the watch

On my recent cruise through the Panama canal I was in Puerto Vallarta Mexico and I tripped on the curb and fell on my face and hands as I was getting on the boat. Staff picked me up, shaken but not broken and as my phone was going through the X-Ray it started ringing. It was my daughters in Maryland who had been alerted that I had fallen and had not shut off the help signal. This was about a minute after I fell. IT WORKED EVEN IN MEXICO

Since I was a professor of safety regulation i was impressed beyond description. It is easy to set up and seems very rugged. I have suggested it to a friend whose wife is a fall risk but I think all caretakers should consider it. I wear it in the shower. They are available used from reputable sources and the extra phone line is very cheap. You just have to charge them each night

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

My kids want me to get one too crushed. Thanks for the endorsement.....

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

M1 you really should get one. My kids pushed me to get one after I passed out in late October and ended up in the ER. I didn’t get a different phone line. Since you are in a rural area (I am too) I feel a lot safer wearing my watch. I put all 3 of my kids as contacts. I am not a tech person but it is so easy to set up. I got mine at Costco! If you don’t like the band that comes with it you can buy different ones. They are sensitive because mine has gone off several times. You just press the button and it doesn’t go anywhere. Check them out!!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

My cell service in the house is spotty, not sure it would work. Probably good for in the yard/fields though.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you Crushed for a great idea. Glad you are OK .

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Always good to hear about gadgets that actually do what they are supposed to.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. Going to consider this.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 354
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

@M1 Cell service in my house is virtually nonexistent, but I have my cell phone set to make/receive calls using my wifi, which I leave on all the time. I don't own an Apple watch, but I wonder if they also have the capability to transmit over wifi.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

That’s amazing! I had no idea! I’d get one today if I could. But I have a pacemaker and smart watches are taboo. Evidently they mess with the signals.

• aconite
    aconite Member Posts: 30
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Just a couple of months after I got mine I hurt myself in the garden and was able to call for help. So we'll worth it! I don't usually carry my phone in the garden since it usually falls out of my pocket. And it gives me a way to call always with me in the house too.

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited March 10

I know a couple seniors in my life who have them. For one she was having a stroke in the mall parking lot, wasn't thinking straight and called her son instead of 911 and he was able to see her location from the watch and called an ambulance to her. For the other person it detected irregular heart beats and gave her an alert to call her doctor. Turned out her heart was stopping during the night due to apnea she didn't know she had. Even the cheaper models, around $300, can be a life saver! Yes would also be good for a caregiver, since it will automatically call 911 if they fall and are unresponsive. Or if they are responsive but unable to get up they can use the watch to call or text anyone since the watch is always on your wrist and a cell phone could be sitting anywhere in the house. They take a little over an hour to fully charge so my mother in law charges hers while she watches tv at night and then it's ready to go the other 23 hours a day.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I wear one and was so impressed with it that I encouraged mom to get one.

She did get a pendant after rooming in the hospital with a woman who was trapped for 2 12/ days when her foot went through decking on a back porch. In the 2 years she had it, I never caught her wearing it. Her excuses for not wearing it included "I'm just in the house", "the pendant doesn't work with this neckline" and "it just makes me look old".

She thinks the Apple Watch is a cool girl accessory since I have one. It has worked as promised for both of us. I was notified when she had a hard fall outside her community library which was great.

HB

We both have an SE with cellular service. The cellular comes in handy when I'm not carrying my phone.

HB

• Rosi's Mom
    Rosi's Mom Member Posts: 11
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments

I also have an SE with cellular service. I have it set to dial my closest son-in-law who retired recently with one touch. It has a number of safety features. It's supposed to alert if you are in a collision. Don't want to test that feature!

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I also am a fan of tech that does what it says it will do. My apple watch has been very helpful and a worthwhile investment.

I am glad you weren't injured Crushed.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

What is an SE?

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

It's an Apple Watch model-- the entry level version. It doesn't offer some features on the pricier models.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

A friend with parkinsons was visiting the other day and fell at my house Massive bloody nose

She also has a Apple watch

5 minutes later the County police were the door to help , they called the EMTs

They got her sitting , everything improved

Just for laughs She was so considerate , she bled all over a small rug my daughters never liked!!

they loved the picture of it in the trash!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more