Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Aricept

jsps139_
jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My DH had a Dr’s appt today. I gave the doctor a list of his behaviors - hallucinations, delusions, episodes of anger, not knowing who I am, waking up at night and unmaking and remaking the bed for over an hour, etc. We are starting his 10th year since diagnosis. The Dr prescribed Seroquel and Aricept. I told the Dr that I thought I read that Aricept was only for the beginning stage of Alzheimer’s. He said that wasn’t true and you can start it at any stage. Does this seem right to start Aricept in the 10th year? Thanks everyone!

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I wouldn't use it. Spitting in the wind. Who is this doc?

• Cecil Jones
    Cecil Jones Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

I agree with M1. I also read they shouldn't be given together. It's hard for me to wrap my head around your love one having problems for ten years and his doctor just now wanting to prescribe Aricept.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

In my experience, Aricept did nothing to calm angry outbursts or slow progression. Have not tried Seroquel for DH as yet.

• jsps139_

We just moved to this area 3 years ago and got this doctor. My DH’s neurologist that we saw for his diagnosis said … I’ll be honest with you - I don’t think any of these drugs work to help with memory loss. I do not notice a difference in my patients that take Aricept. My patients say it is working, but I have to wonder if it really does or if they want that to be true so badly that they think it is when it really isn’t. I was grateful for his honesty and my husband chose to exercise and eat healthy and he had a very good 8 years before things started progressing. I think we’ll pass on the Aricept and just try the Seroquel. Thanks for affirming what I was thinking.

• jsps139_

Thanks for responding. These decisions are so hard. I want to do what the Dr suggests, but my brother always tells me to follow my gut. On this decision, my gut is saying no to Aricept.

• jsps139_

This Dr is my husband’s PCP. I think I’ll just use the Seroquel. Thanks! I appreciate the info more than everyone knows!!!

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My husband's neuro also said he thought Aricept was useless.

• M1

I personally never saw anyone benefit from it (thirty years in practice). But some here would disagree.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

It made a significant difference for my husband, but only lasted 3 months. And that was early in his diagnosis!

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 196
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary

My grandmother was prescribed it late into the disease(she probably had been suffering from vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s for 12+ years), but very early in the official diagnosis. It did not benefit her at all.

• jsps139_

Thank you so much for posting - very helpful!

• jsps139_

Thanks a bunch for letting me know. It is so helpful to get feedback.

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

How about memantine? DW's neuro has her on both Aricept and memantine. I don't think they're doing anything for her, but how could you tell? The neuro did say she could discontinue the memantine, but I was afraid to do that in case it really was doing something.

Aside: DW asks what that blue pill is for. I tell her "to improve memory", and we both laugh.

• WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

My DH has mild to moderate dementia due to ALZ. He started Aricept about five months after diagnosis last year. I too wonder if it helps because I see him slowly losing more of his short term memory (especially); confusion increasing in new places; word choices that are confusing to follow. Is this being slowed by Aricept? How could we ever know?

But, he has no side effects from it, so he takes it. It is all we have at this point.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

It’s very hard to know if Aricept, rivastegmine or others work. The disease can remain stable with no drugs, decline with no drugs, stay stable with drugs, or decline with drugs. Each patients timeline is different. Each decline for one patient is different. So how can you possibly tell if the memory drugs do anything? And the side effects are such that many people can’t take the needed dosage.

At least you can tell if Seraquel is working. The patient either calms down or they don’t.

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

So how can you possibly tell if the memory drugs do anything?

I've wondered how the clinical studies reach a conclusion that any of these meds do anything.

So far, DW does not seem to exhibit any side effects from Aricept/donepezil or Memantine.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

In controlled clinical studies where some got Aricept and others didn’t, a comparison of progression of dementia between the two groups favored Aricept in a statistically significant way. Whether this difference was clinically significant (in real life) remains open for discussion.

Knowing this, I still offered Aricept to my husband. It was all we had. I also had him participate in one of the trials with monoclonal antibodies, which failed. After that, I signed him up for infusion of intravenous immune globulin without any data that it was effective. Desperate people, desperate times.

• M1

Article in the Washington Post this morning about spectacular post-market failure of an ALS drug, and how the FDA has overshot in approving therapies with questionable benefit. We're definitely due for a course correction.

I never saw benefit from memantine either. The studies have suggested 1 in 12 will benefit from the cholinesterase drugs, 1 in 12 will have significant side effects, and for 10/12 they will make no difference.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more