Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Is it just me, or...

AnderK
AnderK Member Posts: 123
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Sorry I have been absent. Been struggling with the thought that I want to put him into MC so it would be easier for me, not best for him. He seems fine sitting in chair. Seems fine not changing his 12 hour depends because 12 hours hasn't gone by...regardless. seems fine taking 3 hours from the time I suggest going up to bed to midnight or later. Seems fine that I do all the laundry and chores. Criticizes me because I try to get any appointments, grocery shopping, etc done before his usual wake up time and then wesr out by 9pm.

Perhaps having a home care person in, hopefully starting in the next two weeks for three hours (to start...maybe move to 6 hours if this works out.) will help.

Is it me?

Kathy

Comments

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 797
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

No, it isn't you. It's the disease that robs us of every precious moment that could have been had, that demands we be "on duty" 24/7 and rewards us with nothing but decline. Except the knowledge that you are doing everything in your absolute power to provide safety, comfort and care. May that knowledge turn into strength and peace. Big hugs to you (( Kathy )).

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

It's not you. What you are seeing is the apathy, inertia, and lack of empathy that are nearly universal in dementia.

I hope the in-home aide is useful. Where I am, agencies require 15 hours/weekly. Three hours seems to be a minimum, but they sometimes make exceptions for those who have twice daily dressing and medication assistance who can get 2-hour slots.

HB

• Tamara Beck
    Tamara Beck Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    No. Of course it isn't you. And you will do what is best. An aide is an absolute necessity.
  • tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

It's not just you. This job sucks, to put it bluntly. I am not at the three-year care mark yet, and at least once a day I wonder how long I can go on. Cut yourself some slack, and take the help wherever you can find it.

• AlzWife2023
    AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 237
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary

I could have written this! I’ve been struggling with exactly the same things. My DH is not in depends but same apathy about hygiene. I would love to have help and be able to go out and live a little/get a break…go to the gym, whatever. Right now, I don’t have the energy to find someone. I’m taking charity from my children but there’s no other way right now. I found an assisted living with memory care nearby that seems affordable but who knows…I don’t think it’s time yet for him. I said at the beginning that I’ll place him when he doesn’t remember me anymore. It seems like it will be a long road ahead. I’m most worried for my own health and future. I can’t do both…take care of him and take care of myself which includes working & saving money for my future. I’m in a holding pattern, trying to make the best of it but just living day by day, moment to moment.

it’s not just you. Sending a big hug!

• upstateAnn
    upstateAnn Member Posts: 103
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Get an aid if possible. My free time is the air I breathe.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

No, Kathy, it's not just you. Many of us have struggled with the same thoughts. My DH has been in MC for two months but before that I struggled for months thinking it was time but not able or willing to make the decision. Finally, it was made for me when he got pneumonia. Getting an aid will give you some free time. I hope you can make that happen soon. Sending hugs.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@AlzWife2023 said:  I’m taking charity from my children but there’s no other way right now. I found an assisted living with memory care nearby that seems affordable but who knows…I don’t think it’s time yet for him. I said at the beginning that I’ll place him when he doesn’t remember me anymore. It seems like it will be a long road ahead. I’m most worried for my own health and future. I can’t do both…take care of him and take care of myself which includes working & saving money for my future.

Please don't let this disease rob your children of both their parents. This disease can take down the caregiver as well as the person who has the dementia diagnosis. One-third of caregivers predecease their LO.

IMO, waiting until a person no longer "recognizes" a spouse seems very arbitrary. Dad recognized my mom and I until he passed as a complication of aspiration pneumonia in stage 7. While mom had finally agreed to placement a couple months prior, his care caused her to neglect her own even though she had steady income from a good pension and no other real responsibilities. That neglect damaged her health permanently and cost her the vision in one eye and the independence that comes with driving. We had both looked forward to a stage 8 with more freedom; instead of caring for dad, I'm caring for mom now.

HB

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 106

On this issue of getting in-home daycare, it was a life changer for me, particularly since DW and I live alone with no children or relatives to help out. Totally recommend it. At first, had a couple of 4 hour blocks a week allowing me to step out run errands and even eat out, (first time in 2 years). As of today, I've been approved for in home daycare M-F, (8 hours a day) since starting it 4 years ago. Hope things work out for you both Alzwife and AnderK. My DW gets great care and I'm much healthier now.

• AlzWife2023
    edited March 25

Dear @harshedbuzz thank you for giving the adult child's POV. My sons seem happy with me at home with their dad because, I think, it makes them feel safe, but my daughter sees the toll it's taking on me and the dangers to my future. She is helping me to move forward mentally/psychologically. She talks about getting help at home, about placement, and about me getting my life back, which is ironic b/c she's the one who encouraged me to stay home with her dad in the first place 18 months ago. That was a time of panic for all of us. He was totally losing it and I was unravelling--did not like my job and was underpaid, so there were those factors, too. She can see when I'm doing well and when I am not. I left a great job of 20 years during Covid because of all the craziness, and now I am just floating. It's time to power up and make some more moves in the right direction! Thank you for sharing. It is so helpful to hear other people's experiences and perspectives.

Re: the arbitrariness of my cut-off. It was arbitrary and I said that early on before I understood anything about this journey. Thank you for pointing this out. I mean, my cut-off could be so many other things, and just as valid, if not more so, like: place him when I run out money (happened already). I will try to get f/t in-home care first. Another poster gave me the idea that he might qualify.

• AlzWife2023
    edited March 25

Hi @FTDCaregiver1 CONGRATULATIONS on getting approved today! I am so happy to hear that you have a situation that is working for you! I just went through a long process to get paid a stipend via a Medicaid program called Adult Foster Care to care for my DH at home, but the stipend is much less than I thought it would be and I cannot live on it--plus, I have no life or future! I will call my local department of elder services tomorrow and see if DH can get in home care instead. If he qualifies for 8 hours/day like yours does--I will be able to work! Thank you!

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 106

I'm getting services through our local PACE program with the current 40 hour per week due to DW requiring one-on-one AND MC facilities she's been involuntarily discharged for the same reason, she has extreme anxiety (medication adjustment over the years have helped though). Since she can only be cared for at home, they increased in home day care. They also provide in-home 24 hour respite care. Recently took mini 3 day vacation, first time in 5 years I think.

• AlzWife2023

That’s great! You’re mini vacation must have been awesome.

im sure my DH needs memory card as he can’t remember anything or live in his own. He’s a risk for wandering. I guess he needs what you call one-on-one care, too, since I have to coax him into eating, brushing teeth, and assist with bathing and personal care (not toileting).

The agencies seem to go by number of ADLs in assigning care. I think he has 2+ and memory/wandering/behavior which counts too.

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Thank you all for your many responses. I am going to address a few things. All in one. First of all, the" you lnow when you know" thought process. Oh. If only the heart and the mind were in sync with one another pn that one!

" the apathy, inertia, and lack of empathy that are nearly universal in dementia"...how well said.

It is interesting how the "markers" change. The "if this happens, then..." and when that happens, on to the next if.

A life if ifs. Thank you all for your responses. This forum is helpful in so many ways, but sometimes the best help is to know that you are not alone (sadly). I am about to write one more post before my ZZZ tea kicks in. Kathy

• AlzWife2023

That’s rough. I’m glad he’s getting placed. You have gone above & beyond.

My DH is still manageable…no incontinence and low wandering behavior so far but when he’s uncomfortable or scared like when he was hospitalized two weeks ago the violence emerges. He was tearing out his IVs out as I gently tried to coax him to stop and relax, he threatened me three times with violence. It was a shock. I knew he was experiencing hospital psychosis or delirium, but I saw how quickly things could go bad. He gets mad at the drop of a hat if I don’t agree with him so I’m living in a bubble tiptoeing around him. I think I would be more scared if our son did not live with us. We’ll see if this behavior gets worse. I am certainly not going to live in fear in my own home after giving up everything to take care of him.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I too had the luxury of my son being around to protect me if needed. He moved out in November after living here 3 years. He just couldn't be in this environment any more, watching his dad deteriorate and who he had now become. DH has never just randomly decided to be mean to me, it's always a reaction because he can't come up with words or other ways to explain his frustration. I'm not making excuses for him, but I also have to recognize that it's not him its the disease

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

If I might put a different spin on the "markers"…instead of making them about behaviors of the LO, make them about yourself, your health and your abilities, both financial and physically.

Can you give your LO 24/7 care and oversight…even with hired help?

Can you insure your safety and that of your LO, be it from anger outbursts or things such as home disasters of drinking or eating dangerous materials, leaving water running, turning on the stove, wandering?

Do you feel you could be a better life partner to your LO if you had less 24/7 anxiety and could oversee the care by others better?

Whatever circumstances are for you, remember if you were not present for a short, extended time or forever due to your own health crisis, your LO would not have what you are able to give.

For many a crisis of some sort has to occur in order to make the placement decision. It did for my mother in determining placement for Dad…until then it was "we just aren't there yet". Try to keep that from happening to you…it is so much harder than having a plan.

Wising all who face this issue the best possible outcome.

• AlzWife2023

I know how you feel. My DH is a gentle man and I know he would only lash out due to fear, confusion and frustration brought on by the disease. I can see that his ability to understand and use words has diminished recent, and since his verbal skills wax and wane— on good days when he seems a little more himself, I still fall into a dreamy, unconscious kind of hopefulness and the idea of ever placing him in care seems unimaginable.

I know, though, from following this forum that I need to have a plan A, B and C —one of which includes placement when necessary. I really like the idea from @loveskitties that the markers must come from you and not him. I could not do this without my son here so I know I’ll need FT help at home or placement at some point. Like your son, my son will need to move out eventually. He’s lived with us for about 14 months.

Please don’t feel too bad about it. It was not really a choice but a necessity. Take care and be proud of all you’ve done for your husband and yourself. Keep your head high and take good care of yourself! We are all proud of you!

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Best for the caregiver is best for the person with dementia. If we're not at our best, how can we help them, and if something happens to us, who will be there for them. Stress kills, and one statistic to avoid is having the caregiver die before the pwd.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

No it isn't you. I've experienced the very same thoughts. Eventually what you are dealing with will just become too much. I had to place my DW into MC because I couldn't do it anymore. Even when she was going to daycare, that helped a lot but it wasn't enough for me to really recoup during those times. Before I knew it I had to go pick her up so the days went by extremely fast but it did give me some respite a few days a week but as I said eventually that wasn't enough. She's been in MC a couple of months now and it seems to have been good for her. When I spend time with her we really enjoy each other's company now. It's still very hard for her but she was and still is a very gracefull lady during all of it. My heart breaks all the time for her and the indignities of this disease and how traumatizing it always is for her but after it's over she will forget all about it until the next time, myself or a staff member has to clean and change her. I would be traumatized by that as well but she handles it with as much grace as this disease will allow.
    She does so well with me now when we are together and I enjoy her company so much that I'm always tempted to think about bringing her home but I believe the reason for that is because she is doing well in MC.
    I'm grateful for the staff that seem to like her and treat her so well, at least that's what I see when I'm there.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more