Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Question for the younger caregivers

I’m 51 caring for 80 year old spouse. This is a question for people like me who have given up work to be full time care givers. How do you plan for your future? What steps have you taken to stay active and engaged mentally, physically, creatively, socially, and career-wise? What are your plans for returning to paid work outside of caregiving? It’s so hard to plan not knowing how the disease will progress.

Comments

• AlzWife2023
    AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 237
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary
    edited March 25

Hi @Katielu, Sounds like my life sans the outside work. Does someone check in on your husband when you work? My husband sounds about the same as yours, but he's also very disoriented to time and has lost interest in hygiene and everything but his phone & TV...which he cannot really operate on his own.

I just walked our dog and a neighbor invited us in her yard to play with her dog. I was gone for about an hour. Our son who is 30 was home but my husband was panicked after I was gone for 30 minutes. Came home and they were both shaken. I had forgotten to take my phone with me. My son assumed I had bumped into someone, but he looked more worried than his dad, I think b/c he had to deal with dad in that state for 45 minutes.

Good luck and thanks for sharing!

• AlzWife2023

Hi @sandwichone123 thank you so much for sharing your situation. I'm so sorry that you and your husband are going through this so early. It sounds like you made a good call. It is important to know what's right for you.

I would much rather be working, but my husband does not have retirement money so that complicates things. He just gets social security. I think he would decline sharply if I placed him now, but I am still considering it. He experienced hospital delirium/psychosis two weeks ago when he was admitted after an ER visit following a collapse of undetermined origin.

Who knows what's around the corner? He's sleeping more and his activity is limited now to feeding the fire in the woodstove in winter and looking at his iPhone all day. He collapsed when he went outside to get wood. He has given up all other household chores and does no hygiene unless prompted. So I am very busy at home (and want to take care of him) but I have no idea what the future holds. The idea that this could drag on for ten years or more is frightening in terms of my health and security. Even four or five years seems like too much. I do it for my kids now so they don't have to see their dad decline in a nursing home and for all the love he's given me, but if money were not an issue things would be different. My daughter is urging me to get part-time help for respite and then gradually go back to work and get more help, etc. It makes sense but it is also just more to do on top of the daily 24-hour grind.

Life is not fair, and there's a trade-off for everything. We do our best. Thanks again for sharing. It helps.

Good luck!

• Lgb35
    Lgb35 Member Posts: 93
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

I am very close to your age, I am 54. DH is 60. We are both still working however we both think his work will be ending soon. He does not have any type of sick leave or disability leave. He is in sales so if you don’t sell you don’t get paid. Our attorney told me that when applying for SSDI if everything went perfectly it would be a minimum of 5 months before we saw any money. I work full time and carry our medical insurance. I am planning to work as long as I possibly can as I am going to have to support myself after this journey. We have our 401k accounts but not nearly enough for comfort. I do not see how mc will be an option for us due to our financial situation and my age. I do work from home so hopefully that will help!

• AlzWife2023
    edited March 25

Hi @Lgb35 Working from home is a plus. Are you at the beginning of this journey? Do you think you would apply for Medicaid for DH in future?

• AlzWife2023

Hi @FTDCaregiver1 Thanks for the details. Sounds like you did all the right things to make it work. Congratulations!

Can you tell me how many PCA hours your DW was approved for and at level of ADL? For instance, did she need help with bathing, toileting, etc?

I just got off the phone with the PACE people and I should get an intake call soon.

I'm hoping DH can get 40 hours of PCA care. In that case, either I will do the care at the higher PCA rate (20/hr rather than 50/day) or we'll find a PCA to care for him and I will work or get a break--we'll see if he can get the PCA and AFC services in tandem. I'll keep you'll posted.

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 106
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

AlzWife, for me where I'm at now in terms of in-home day care took over 3 years, so DON'T expect your going in with the possibility of getting the 40 hours I have. Long story short-I took time after two MH failures and 3 separate MC facility failures for PACE to finally agree that DW needed the one-on-one care she could not get at an MC but could get if they adapted their "Age in Place" model to provide at our home. After first enrolled in Jan/2021 in PACE (same month we won the disability claim on final appeal), if memory serves, PACE did their assessment and we were approved for somewhere around two 3-4 hour in home daycare visits per week, so roughly 8 hours, plus short respite stays at an accepting MC facility. I do not recall their criteria used, but DW was assessed to require MC level. She needed assistance with all ADLs, including toileting back in 2021. How we got to where I'm at today is definitely a one-off situation (for the PACE program I work with) but convincing my PACE program that DW required one-one-care was critical, whether in home or in MC, and it was finally accomplished in late summer/2023 and by trail. I'm giving you complete details here as its important, at least in my experience with a local PACE program, to build advocacy for hours of in-home day I knew she needed vs. what PACE was willing to fund AND that the inflexible MC system (one size fits all) approach was not responsive to my DW needs in providing one-on-one care. To begin the journey, from Jan/2021 til Jan/2023 I cared for DW at home with roughly 8 hours of daycare a week. In Jan/2023, I coordinated through PACE to place her into a local MC. 3 months later she was involuntarily discharged due to anxiety behaviors upsetting other residents, (yelling, pushing furniture, pacing, shadowing). At her discharge a meeting was held between the MC owner, myself and PACE. The MC owner was willing to keep her if she had one-on-one funded through PACE, though behaviors were upsetting other residents, he felt as I that if he had more staff to work with her/redirect, she could be safely managed. PACE (at that time) never funded that before and opted to refer to a local MH facility for medication adjustment, I did not agree with PACE but relented. Three weeks later she was readmitted back into the MC, medication switched to Ativan, no one-on-one. She lasted 4 days was much worse due to paradoxical reaction to Ativan (benzos). Failure. She went back into the MH system, different location for assessment and stabilization. three weeks later, weight loss and a Parkinson's-reaction to pregabalin they tried, out she came, much worse and weaker than before to MC facility willing to accept her, another failure. She lasted a week, involuntary discharge but directly into another MC location (owned by the parent company) which specializes in behavior-challenged dementia clients. Note: The Clinical Director of the MC facility said they would only accept her if they had additional one-on-one help 7 days a week, 8 hours per day. PACE essential pitched the idea to me that they'd fund weekdays IF I covered weekends. I agreed. She was admitted June 1, 2023. So at that time, PACE agreed that DW required one-on-one and that our current MC system could not accommodate this level of care. I do know now, that though they agreed, they didn't agree to fund all of it, and wanted DW care partner (I) to push my time in as well. After almost 2 months of hybrid MC model, me going in on weekends, PACE-funded daycare workers on M-F, no problems from the MC facility (why not, we're doing all the work and not costing them anything) but DW's health was going downhill, weight loss, horrible food, poor health care, I made the decision to pull her out of MC, period. I spoke with my PACE social worker, who'd been with me since the beginning, explained my reasons, including DW declining health, and made a final pitch to get in-home day care at home and cheaper too as didn't have to fund the $7,200 per month for MC. She had to do some checking, but eventually contacted me saying PACE agreed to fund 40 hours per week at home and in her words simply said..."she needs it (one-on-one) and we know she's going to do better at home and we want to support that". My journey to get where I'm at now isn't typical for sure. So stay connected with your assigned PACE social worker, accept the hours initially given and go from there. If you believe you need more, advocate but work within their model of care, don't burn bridges and keep your expectations in line. One thing I can definitely tell you is that PACE programs aren't a 'park and go' program. I've been told many times they really want to work with families/care givers who stay involved in the care of LOs. My PACE social worker even mentioned again to me today (when DW and I visited the PACE Center this afternoon) that our 'partnership' makes all the difference in caring for your wife. I countered with appreciating their flexibility to work with me in providing their wrap-around services at my home, that made all the difference for me so my wife gets the best care and I can take care of myself as well. Good luck!

• AlzWife2023

Wow! @FTDCaregiver1 what a saga! The PACE worker I spoke with today described the program as designed to help people stay in their homes. I appreciate heads up. I won’t get ahead of myself and imagine that all my problems are solved! Good luck with your DW.

Thanks for the tips & advice.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I am in the middle of the same situation right now. For 3 1/2 years I have been fortunate to have been allowed to work from home so I could keep an eye on DH who has FTD. For the most part it worked out okay, but starting in January it was becoming more and more difficult. I knew I had to choose between work and being a caretaker. I put in for FMLA for the whole month of March, so I could see what it would be like to solely take care of DH and not work, and also to assess what our financial situation would be like if I kept working, and if I quit. Luckily, just before I left for FMLA I received a pretty nice raise, so that was a big help in my decision. Over the course of this month, I have realized that 1), I would miss my job too much, and 2), no matter how much guilt I have about placing DH, I am not equipped to care for him at this stage or the days that are on the horizon. He will be moving into a MC facility 4/1, and I will be returning to work. Since making this decision a couple of weeks ago, family and friends have all supported me and continually tell me that I cared for him much longer than most people could. That has made my decision a little easier. We'll see how I feel in a week!

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

For CSTROPE: please let us know how the placement goes for your DH. I will be thinking about you and praying all goes well

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm 54 and my husband is 65.

My intention is to get back to work. I love what I do and worked hard for my career. Last summer/fall I went through the process of getting him qualified for Medicaid. He has been allotted 40 hours of home care, but it's been a struggle actually getting those hours covered. Long story but we're on our third agency and I'm being "paid" to work a lot of those hours. My plan was to get back to work once we had help at home. My husband was placed on hospice last week, so I'm going to continue being a fulltime caregiver for the duration. I pick up the occasional project just to keep my foot in the door (not to mention the mental stimulation of working). It's weird. I feel like I'm waiting for my life to restart, but considering what that means, I'm also dreading it.

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 106
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Retaining good help to fill the 40 hours I have also has been a bit of a struggle, largely due to care workers leaving for other options. They don't make much.

• AlzWife2023

“I feel like I'm waiting for my life to restart, but considering what that means, I'm also dreading it.” This is exactly how it feels, everyday.

I’ll be starting from scratch career wise. I have my house and my kids so I’m grateful. I’m not dreading “it” so much anymore, really. I hate to say it but it’s true. Following him around all day making sure he doesn’t kill himself by slipping or overexertion and making sure he’s occupied and fed and bathed and getting mostly nasty looks and snarls in return for my efforts is getting pretty annoying/exhausting.

Entertaining wild conversations all day….hiding in my room…not having energy to do much else than meet his needs…starting to see the loop here that I could get caught in of each few months or year just pushing through for another season as he slowly, slowly slips away and needs more and more personal care.

He’s dazed out most of the day. I’m dreaming of a nice assisted living arrangement with memory care where he feels comfortable….which we can afford…one can dream!

• AlzWife2023

Good luck and keep us posted. I’m sure you’ll feel a range of emotions, but it sounds like you and he are two of the lucky ones, relatively!

All caregivers should be proud of everything we’ve done.

• Katielu
    Katielu Member Posts: 86
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

Alzwife2023,

When I am gone for the day for work, I call am and pm ( he wakes up when I leave and goes back to sleep, I make sure the ringer on his phone is on) I only go all day, once a week, so I am able to have a neighbor “ stop by” or someone else call ( out of state siblings). It is a lot of work but I need to keep working. Any other time I leave him home, I am never gone more than 3 hours. He struggles with his phone but can get by for now and he can still work the TV remote. He watches the news and weather all day long.

I know my ability to do this will come to an end soon, I am looking at options so I can keep working. Some weeks, if he is having a bad week, I go to the office part of the day and finish the day from home.

we adapt, that’s what caregivers do!

• Lgb35
    Lgb35 Member Posts: 93
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

yes we are early in the journey. Current diagnosis is MCI. We have a repeat neurophysiological evaluation in April to see where we are although we know things are getting worse and DH will have to stop working soon. I am not planning on putting him on Medicaid because I am afraid of having to spend down what retirement we have created. I am going to need to plan for my life beyond this journey.

• AlzWife2023
    edited March 30
  • ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I was in my 50's when my dw started showing signs. She is eight years older than myself and she was in her early sixties when the first suspicions that something wrong is happening. As the disease progressed I was able to work less and less but I did manage to pad our checking account a little more and eleminate most of our debt so that helped. I also put all of our bills on autopay for one less responsibilty to deal with. I also precurred our DPOA and MOAs while she could still sign in front of a notary, barely. This disease is devastating in many ways. Get help with an Eldercare attorney as soon as possible.

• AlzWife2023

Dear @Army_Vet60 thank you for sharing your beautiful story, routines, and approaches. It sounds like you were the perfect caregiver for your wife, may she rest in peace. I do many of the things you have listed. DH has not forgotten any of the family (yet). We are mostly dealing with language issues. He is fairly apathetic so we do not go out and do many things. He always seems a little tired. but he does enjoy teh occassional jaunt—even if its just to town for coffee. The weather getting nicer, I will arrage more walks. Walks and drinking coffee were always two of his favorite activities!

Your post is VERY HELPFUL. It helps to hear strategies from such a wonderful caregiver and the tips about about eating, sleeping, and wandering are good points to keep in mind for the future.

Thanks again & Happy Easter (if you celebrate).

• Army_Vet60
    Army_Vet60 Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Hi. Thank you for responding.

I forgot to mention something you need to plan for that I hadn't considered till Hospice got involved with helping me in the end.

The Hospice nurse in charge took my wife's BP and it was normal. She looked at me and said she wanted to take mine. IIRC, it was 213/103. She told me to call my doctor now and explain you're a caregiver and your wife's nurse just order you to get on Losartan before you drop dead from a stroke.

That was an eye opener. The nurse said my wife would outlive me if I didn't take care of myself.

When my wife died, I hit rock bottom the first week and two friends probably saved me from myself one night. I called the Hospice the next morning and requested emergency Grief Counseling. I used it for 18 months.

Plan to use whatever resources are available to you when the time comes…

• AlzWife2023

@Army_Vet60 Thank you. I am concerned about my health and so are my children. This is a very good reminder to get ahead of it (and to anticipate the need for grief counseling—maybe I need it already.) 💔🙏

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more