Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hello all, new to this

Hi everyone. My DH was diagnosed with VD within last few months. Short term memory impacted and difficulty with organization. Has gotten "off track" when walking the dogs but recognizes that and can make his way back. Consistency in his routine really helps. Overall he's pleasant.
Just wanted to say hello. I've found discussions I've read to be helpful and most of all I feel less alone.
Thanks for listening.
Cheryl

Comments

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Welcome Cheryl! Like you, I’ve received a lot of support and information here. Feel free to join in the discussions, ask questions, vent, whatever helps you to get through this.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome! I am glad your DH is able to find his way home after walking the dogs. If you haven’t already, be sure to have a means of finding/tracking him if needed. This disease progresses when you least expect it.

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 106
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Welcome aboard! This disease will progress, good advice like those above is to look into safety measures to support his current abilities. I remember when my wife took long walks for many years, the disease hit she could no longer work but continued these walks while I was at work, subtle changes began - she began to take her purse with her, then without notice I began to get calls at work from neighbors (who I informed of her condition) of her knocking on their windows. With that ability to safely remain home alone, I retired home to care for her and supervise her walks until, yet again the disease progressed, she had panic attacks and it was a heck of time coaxing her back home. Good luck, lots of great folks here will help you!

• Leesee
    Leesee Member Posts: 9
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment

Hi Cheryl:

My (62) DH (68) was diagnosed with VD in November 2023 with similar symptoms you describe.

In December his Neurologist sent him for a blood test called "Abeta 42/Abeta40."

According to the description of the test "The A-beta 42/A-beta 40 ratio is a measure used in AD research to indicate the presence of amyloid beta proteins in the brain."

My husband tested positive for Alzheimer's Disease in addition to VD. I do not want to cause further upset, but you may want to inquire about this new test. AD and VD is the most common form of mixed dementia.

It has taken us more than a year of Neurologists (multiple), Neuropsych exams, speech therapy, MRI and other tests to understand his situation. The AD diagnosis was difficult, but I'm a planner :) and needed as much information as possible.

He had a Carotid Artery ultrasound last week and the Dr.'s office called to schedule an immediate appointment for tomorrow (that's never good).

Just when we think we've got it - everything changes.

No one else in my life is going through this and I often feel very alone. This discussion group always helps. I don't post much, but I come here daily to listen and learn.

If I can offer you any information or assistance, let me know. BTW I live in Michigan (Metro Detroit area).

• Cheryl11
    Cheryl11 Member Posts: 9
    First Comment

Thank you so much for your response. I will look into this blood test. We are switching neurologists, mainly because of proximity of office to our home. But I will have my list of questions when seeing new person. Thank you!

• Cheryl11
    First Comment

Thank you. The dogs have Fitbark devices on their collars which allows me to see where they are walking. But I do wish I knew more about ways to keep track of my husband's location if he goes out shopping. He usually sends me a text when he's leaving house and I'm at work but realistically he is likely to forget to do that at a point. Thank you for your support.

• Belle
    Belle Member Posts: 117
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I've put an apple airtag in my DH's wallet. You may want to get an airtag or similar device and slip it into something your DH always wears or takes with him if he leaves the house. He could easily become separated from the dogs when walking them so their collars won't help you find him.

Also, I no longer let my DH take the dogs out to walk because he has gotten distracted and dropped the leash or let them tug the leash out of his hands. Luckily we have a large back yard to let them go potty and I take them to appointments. At one point he was insisting on taking a dog with him every time he left the house (before I had a clue about how bad he was functioning) and he even took her to the dentist with him once when I wasn't home. That was the moment that I realized his rational judgement about many things was gone.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I used to have a free tracker app on my DH’s phone, so my 3 sons and I could see where he was at all times (after he got lost walking). I forget the name of it, but you could Google it.

• Chammer
    Chammer Member Posts: 140
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    edited April 13

Life 360 is a tracking app that has a free version. It also uses the Tile trackers if PWD no longer carries a phone but I'm not sure if that is inuded w free version.

• concerned_sister
    concerned_sister Member Posts: 425

Thanks, our family was debating the best way to share Tile information across the family (for PWD). Per your mention, I went ahead and reactivated an old life 360 account I used years ago. I think this is what we were looking for.

• Cheryl11
    First Comment

Thank you all so much for the support and info. I'm going to look into the trackers you mentioned.

Cheryl

• concerned_sister
    concerned_sister Member Posts: 425

Cheryl11,

I can report back my experience. It was very easy to send the invitation to other siblings to join my circle on life360. I verified with one brother that he could see the tile device on my keys from his phone. Two brothers chipped in on a Credit Card sized tile, and a key fob tile for DB. I hope to set this up with him this afternoon. The other brother went out twice last night on errands. Each time I was notified when he left, and when he returned. I can see this providing peace of mind when DB goes out for a walk with friends…and some day solo when not expected.

• RetiredTeacher
    RetiredTeacher Member Posts: 36
    25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH's mother died from Alz and his brother passed away last yr from Alz. I noticed executive function problems over 5 yrs ago and he has had 2 strokes in the last 2 years. He has an assessment in a couple of weeks and I'm thinking probably mixed dementia, VD and ALZ. How do VD symptoms differ from Alz symptoms? Trying to make sense of this.

• RetiredTeacher
    RetiredTeacher Member Posts: 36
    25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care