Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Memory Care Brain Exercises

Pietas61
Pietas61 Member Posts: 20
10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My Spouse was recently diagnosed with mild Alzheimer's in South America. We are currently in the process of relocating back to the USA working with an agent. I chose San Antonio TX because it has 1 of the 33 research centers among other reasons.

Is there a site on the internet where I can find approved or suggested memory care exercises?

I am discontinuing the recommended memory care service provided by the diagnosing Dr. here in South America (6hr drive from our small town). I asked the memory care provider how does she measure my wife's progress and she said she is not qualified to do that, has no form of licensing, or further contact with the diagnosing Dr. Other than the diagnosis we have no further contact with the Dr either. My wife's sister is also providing the same memory care service 2-3 times a week and I think she is doing as good or a better job of it. Both via Zoom for one hour each sessions. As I have printed out these exercises, watched my wife participate, and listened in it has allowed me to see the obvious progression of where we are at with this terrible disease.

Both women seemed to be finding these different print outs and brain exercises on the internet somewhere. They look like exercises for Alzheimers to me anyway. Is there a site where I can find a curriculum and or these exercises? Retired Project Manager here so I would prefer my wife's sister uses those lessons until we get Stateside and in the system in 2-4 months. Or am I just way overthinking this? My wife has fun with the current sessions with her sister and it keeps her engaged and out of bed early in the morning so all positives.

Until I get us back to the USA and in the system with the available support I am a bit lost at sea with all this.

Comments

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Welcome, Pietas. I’m sorry to hear of your situation. We are all on this path together, at one stage or another. I cannot honestly answer your question. Although I can say that San Antonio has a remarkable medical community. I lived there for 20 years. My initial thoughts regarding memory exercises are more related to the pleasant experience she seems to be having. That’s always a good thing. But, unfortunately, the nature of this disease, guarantees that no amount of drills will stop the progression. I would certainly encourage her to continue the activities as long as she is enjoying them. But as soon as she’s finding them difficult, you need to bring it to a halt. The emotional wellbeing goes through so much change, that you don’t need to add any more stressors. Do continue to stay educated on Alzheimer’s as much as you can. You will find a great deal of information on this website as well as recommendations for reading. Many of our contributors to this forum have excellent insights as well. SSH

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

There are no specific brain exercises for Alzheimer's Disease. You can work on Best Practices, which are lifestyle habits that can help with functioning and may prolong the early stages. These are not intended to be considered a cure.

Medications: Aricept or Exelon patch and Namenda

Mediterranean diet with anti-oxidsnts snd onega-3 fats

Exercise

Brain stimulation--failure-free activities on her level

Socialization, preferably in small groups

Also, good sleep

Avoid stress

Read about "I remember better when I paint", this is a program. Art and music can be therapeutic.

Iris

• Pietas61

I found out what I was trying to ask about with some more research in a phycology today article. This is the service being provided to my wife that I was describing as memory care brain exercises. I will facilitate continuing this with her sister and see if the group setting is also available when we get to the back to USA. It is called CTS Cognitive Stimulation Therapy.

Cognitive Stimulation Therapy

Reviewed by Psychology Today Staff

Cognitive stimulation therapy (CST) is a short-term, evidence-based, group or individual intervention program for people with mild to moderate dementia or Alzheimer’s disease. The goal of CST is to guide people with dementia through a series of themed activities designed to promote continued learning so that they can stay mentally stimulated and socially engaged. Activities may include puzzles or games, playing instruments, or engaging in conversation with other group members and/or program facilitators.

Because social engagement is a key component of CST, the intervention is most often administered in a group setting. When CST is provided one-on-one with an individual, rather than within a group, it may be referred to as iCST. While group CST is generally thought to be most effective, the individual approach can also serve to enhance the relationship between the individual and the facilitator and may also lead to psychological and cognitive improvement.

CST is a relatively new modality and it is considered effective and evidence-based; in the UK, where it was developed, it is currently the only non-drug treatment recommended by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) for mild to moderate dementia. Some evidence suggests that CST may be as effective as some dementia medications at improving patients’ memory, language processing, and visuospatial abilities; it may also be administered alongside medication.

• tucson anne
    tucson anne Member Posts: 24
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

This sounds like a great program. Just a quick look for it, AT Still University (Osteopathic Medicine) seems to have it at the campus in Tempe, AZ but I haven't found out much yet. Alas that's two hours away for us…

• Pietas61

She is conducting her meetings for both the Therapist and her sister by computer Zoom meetings. I would think some insurance Co's there in USA would cover that for you so long as all the T's are crossed. I just called the Biggs Institute in San Antonio to see if they have that CTS therapy and they said yes. Both one on one & group. Glad I did because now I have to gather a bunch of information from the Dr. here and fax it for a referral. No referral no appointment. Next new patients are scheduled for Jan/25. If you Google the information I cut and pasted there was a lot more information in that article. Now that I know what this, and how potentially beneficial it is for her, I am going to keep the therapist here until we get closer to our move. This therapy has also helped me see where my wife is at with the various devils in the details so to speak that would be hard to explain to me otherwise.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I can find no reputable studies that show any sustained or long term benefit to CTS. Caveat emptor. I’m sure it’s costly and there are always people willing to take your money.

• Larrytherunner
    Larrytherunner Member Posts: 83
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

I agree with M1. Health care in the states is big business and many of the people you will talk to are trained in sales. I can understand if a person lived in a low income country and needed open heart surgery and had plenty of money or qualified for Medicare, he or she might want to go to the states. But for MCI or Alzheimer's, the US has little to offer that is effective, and problems you will have with labor, medical costs and the cost of living will be enormous

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 360
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

I’d put that $ into savings towards paying for a memory care facility.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Good point!

• upstateAnn
    upstateAnn Member Posts: 103
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I agree with much of the above. Exercise, diet and socialization help. However, there is NO delaying this disease. It is progressive.

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

We were told by her doctor to have her use her brain as much as possible. The two things that she likes are word search puzzles and solitaire on the computer. The solitaire game is one card draw and easy.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

These exercises can be used as monitoring, or evidence of progression, as it occurs.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney