Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Memantine and Aricept

WIGO23
WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

DH has been on Aricept about ten months now. In my experience there is no way to discern if it helps. But it seems he tolerates it well and he believes it helps. I would like to hear from those with experiences of Aricept used along with Memantine. It seems the combination is prescribed when LO is in mild to moderate stage. No miracle drugs out there, I know, but curious how often others have tried this combination.

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

my DW takes Memantine about 4 months. Noticed her short term has gotten worse and confused more often but other then that no change.

• Christy1234
    Christy1234 Member Posts: 1
    Eighth Anniversary First Comment

DH has been taking the maximum dose of Memantine and Aricept for approximately 10 years. His progression has been extremely slow and he has experienced no side effects. He is now in the late moderate stage. I feel it has helped tremendously.

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

DW has been on both for awhile. IMO, basically you can't tell whether they make a difference. I don't think they have in DW's case, but she continues to take them because she hasn't suffered any side-effects.

• Sherry LD
    Sherry LD Member Posts: 52
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
  • SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

my DH was on Aricept for 6 months. Initially it really helped him. But it was only during that period. I could tell a difference quickly when it was no longer effective. We then switched to Namenda, which he’s been on since. It has made a difference. Whether or not it’s still significant would require removing it. And I don’t want to do that if there’s any possibility it might be still helping.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more