Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The miserable middle stage

My husband has had Alzheimers for who knows how long. He began complaining about his memory in 2015, but the neurologist he was seeing annually as part of the nationwide Alzheimers Disease study (enrolled people who were healthy and those who were not) kept telling him his scores on the 3 hours of testing were still at the top. He has a Phd in Molecular Biology and years of work as a research scientist, which I now know means lots of cognitive reserve. That masks symptoms. Finally in 2019 the neurologist (who was also a professional colleague and I think didn't want to see what was coming) diagnosed MCI and then Alzheimers. He's been on Aricept and Namenda for years. He is calm, doesn't wander, doesn't get excited or angry, just sad. I, on the other hand, despite this forum, caregiver groups, several friends whose spouses also have diagnoses, am not the caregiver from heaven. I get short tempered ("why can't you put that vest on yourself; you've been doing it forever"); and impatient. But the biggest problem is he has nothing to do. We go to a local Alzheimer's gym three times a week for an hour or two; there is no day program here; I have a caregiver twice a week for 3 hours, but in between he stares at me with a pathetic look and asks if he can help. Help today, when I snapped at him that he could weed (as I was), he then proceeded to prune with his hands a healthy plant. Again I snapped. He doesn't do puzzles; can barely cope with sorting the silverware from the dishwasher; will watch some t.v. but then quits, will read the same book over and over. Pets the cat alot. We walk several times a day but soon it will be hot, and he has horrible knee arthritis. I am exploring MC facilities but he is much higher functioning than what I see there. I will probably place him earlier than I should just because he has to be suffering from my short temper! Thanks for letting me rant.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome to the forum. Every stage is hard. It’s very difficult to let go of any expectations that he can do anything. You might both benefit from placement, as a good MC facility can provide him with socialization and failure free activities that are not available at home. I wouldn’t worry about it being too soon. Most people wait too late.

• Cecil Jones
    Cecil Jones Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

This caregiver job we find ourselves in doesn't come with a manual. Some people or not cut out to be one and to be honest from what you wrote, you may not be. I think the quicker you find a place for him the quicker you can become a friend/wife and the better off you and he will be. I hope I'm not coming off hard (didn't mean to)…it's just not for everyone. You should have no shame or guilt for placing him. It's a very hard job that will not get easier.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Read about loss of executive functions, he cannot do any sequential activities. Then read about failure-free activities, there is a book with that name. Also, "I Remember Better When I Paint."

Iris

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I totally get the frustration and anger at having to do everything as he watches. I am attaching a document about the stages and mental equivalency. It may help to see how the loss of brain function renders them truly unable to do these things. It also may help to talk to someone, maybe a counselor who is educated in Alzheimer's caregiving. I go through the frustration thing every day and then remind myself that he is not purposefully wanting to do nothing. He is miserable and sad. My DH used to do so many things and now he is truly incapable. It must be especially difficult for you and him given his previous life of achievements. I am so very sorry as this is very difficult.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

The bottom line is that if you decide to be the caregiver for someone yu must abandon your "reality" and place yourself within the four corners of the person with dementia.

It is your life that is able to make a change not your loved ones.

Care means safety, general health as well as emotionsl well being!

• upstateAnn
    upstateAnn Member Posts: 103
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I think you might still be comparing the husband you had with the husband you have now. It is hard. Have you tried music? I can put a Bach piece on and my DH goes to a better place. I did get frustrated at the apathy that my award winning chaired Professor at an Ivy League university displayed but realized it was not useful to fret. If your DH lost a leg would you expect him to walk? His brain is damaged. Have you tried films, sporting events and visits to museums? They are all something my DH and I can still share.

• tucson anne
    tucson anne Member Posts: 24
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I have to chuckle at Upstate Anne. I know my husband is not who he was—I mentioned his past simply to illustrate that he is enough of his old self not to do crafts, sort buttons, fold napkins endlessly. And jfkok's comment about his reality—none of us can enter that, no matter how we try. It's not the apathy that's the problem, it's that he needs something to do and there is nothing to engage him. Of course I've tried films, sporting events, visits to museums. He no longer is interested in museums and can't follow most films. We partipated in a local program with docents guiding us through three works of art; we have gone to Alzheimer's Music Jam; I take him to every musical event on offer, ranging from musicals, to symphony, to early music, to band; we go to the special gym; I take him for walks. We belong to the zoo, two botanical gardens and the Desert Museum. But there are many many hours in between all these places and activities that are very difficult to fill. And though MC might seem like a better option, I have visited 6 highly rated facilities and only one really had much going to besides bingo and crafts. That's my frustration. I think MRAhope says it best—when we have done all our work to run both of our lives we have no stamina left to think of an activity that will occupy our person…

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

My partner is in a very highly rated facility and has no interest in most of the activities on offer. She likes to putter with plants (I've bought several and she and i visit the conservatory frequently), watch birds and the cat, and sit outside when the weather allows. we used to do art activities on our own, but that is waning. She naps a lot. It's enough for stage 6.

• AlzWife2023
    AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 237
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary

@Iris L. always has something positive and very helpful to share!

• DTSbuddy
    DTSbuddy Member Posts: 86
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

TucsonAnne. Thanks for your comments; what you describe sounds like us. We walk average 4 miles a day, peel potatoes, sort and fold laundry and silver. It's not demeaning for him, he says it's fun. He does not remember who he was, so satisfaction with what he can do now feels good to him.

It's not possible to keep him occupied, without my participation in the activity. He just does not have the attention span or the ability to make decisions. TucsonAnne, I don't believe that you have a "miserable short temper.' You are responding normally to something really really difficult. To live and love someone who had a mind like a steel trap and now cannot wash his hands without help is wrenching. And there are constant surprises. The latest was taking my plate and finishing my meal while I went to get butter. "That's my dinner!" was my too loud response. He looked so confused.

We have a lovely young woman come walk with him or sit and look at photo albums one or two days a week which gives me a lift, and I am working on finding more help. A friend of ours with a spouse with alzheimers has help every morning, and every evening, which leaves him with enough emotional energy to manage lunches and nights. Best of luck to you.

• LindaLouise
    LindaLouise Member Posts: 95
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

You explain this so well! We function as cruise directors, but also have to manage and complete all the chores of living as well as monitoring our dear PWD. When I want to just collapse on the couch, or, more often, take a minute to make a needed phone call or pay bills, my DH paces around the house, stands next to the front door, or rummages in the kitchen - and I end up trying to find something to engage him so I can have a few minutes off duty. I've tried everything and the only thing that works, sometimes, is to convince him to take a hot shower. That can give me about 8 minutes of "down time"!

• RayeMc
    RayeMc Member Posts: 22
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

This post has been so helpful to me this very day. I am feeling like I'm drowning in quicksand and that I definitely am not cut out to be a caregiver for DH with dementia. I have been a caregiver for my 37 year old adorable son with Down syndrome and feel competent in caring for him. DH is a different matter. I guess it has been helpful to see that others feel they are "not the caregiver from heaven" also.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

@tucson anne I don't have anything to add because everyone here has described it all so well.

I have an anecdote though - I placed my sister in memory care when she was probably mid-stage 5. She was pretty high functioning at the time. One of the other residents (he's still there) was, and is, fairly high functioning. He was a nuclear physicist. Lots of cognitive reserve there. One day when I was there he offered to look after Peggy for me while I ran an errand. It was very sweet of him, but I politely and respectfully, declined his offer. Because, well, you know.

I was always impressed with the activities at memory care and the ability of staff to draw residents in. Sometimes they fail, but often they find something. For Dr. T it was the garden, for Peggy it was the karaoke machine.

This is my long-winded way of saying early placement at memory care can work out well.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more