Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Can I do this…?

SSHarkey
SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

It’s late here, and I’m tired. I’m currently the major support person for my two older siblings along with my DH with Alzheimer’s. Today has been an all dayer, split between brother and husband. As I’m reading the forum each night after the lights are turned off, I see all you faithful warriors out there, giving it your all, pushing through one excruciating moment after another. And I’m thinking to myself, I’m not sure I can do this. I’m 75 years old with Rheumatoid Disease and Fibromyalgia. I have very little strength left in my hands and I mentally see you all cleaning the floors covered in poop and wrangling your LO into clothes. Just reading it makes me feel sick inside. I can’t. I just can’t. We not there yet. He’s still mobile and has his basic daily skills down. We’re okay for now. But when it’s different, harder, more aggressive. I know it’s over for me. I thought at the beginning I’d keep him home. But we can’t afford 24 hour home care. And I can’t handle nights of constant up and downs. I guess he will still be aware of his environment when I have to place him in a Medicaid funded facility. And I hate that for him. This all just makes me sick inside.

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,402
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I get it. I do. I’m a decade younger than you, but I no longer have the physical strength to do ‘’clean up in aisle 9’ over and over. My back won’t take it.
    I'm coming to the conclusion that stress is damaging me physically too. And that’s with mom in an AL.
    Let’s cling to @M1’s theory of things not always coming to pass.

• Belle
    Belle Member Posts: 117
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

You aren't alone in those thoughts. I'm 15+ years younger than you and already know that I am going to reach my limit with caregiving. I just hope I am wise enough to move to plan 'B' before this situation becomes too much. In the past 30 years I have dealt with my DH having a chronic illness which included many hospital stays, operations, psychiatric episodes, etc,; then we had a family member get diagnosed with alz and I oversaw their care in a local facilities while DH was in and out of the hospital constantly and I was working full time; and then during that timeframe DH starts having memory issues. My health has taken a hit with all that caregiving. I think you are wise knowing you have limits.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    edited April 10

We are not all capable of being caregivers for our loved ones. Do the best you can and be kind to yourself!

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I'm feeling pretty tapped out, too, and I'm younger than you with only one PWD to look after. It's ok to say "enough" before you become "collateral damage" , @SSHarkey

• SSHarkey

Thank you, Belle. I had years of caretaking my parents before all this now. My body has definitely felt it all. Stress, the enemy of us all.

• SSHarkey

Oh how many times I’ve told that to others! Funny how it’s different when it’s your own spouse you’re dealing with.

• SSHarkey

I’m believing the damage has hit already. Certainly pushing burnout. I’m going to need to watch my boundaries very closely.

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m so with you too, even tho I’m 66 I feel and look like 90. The physical toll alone is unbearable at times not to mention the unrelenting emotional toll. I too feel like I can’t be in it for the long haul, but at the end of the day I look up and thank whoever it was that got me thru another day. One minute at a time and hope for the best and least damaging outcome 💜

• SSHarkey

Yes. One step, one breath. But we’ve got to find those breaks, or we’ll go down hill fast.

• LindaLouise
    LindaLouise Member Posts: 94
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

So much truth here. We are exhausted, our "boundaries" breached because often there is no one but us to take care our LOs, and we take care because we love them. Even when our boundaries are pushed to the breaking point and we look in the mirror and see the toll on our tired faces, we carry on until we can't. It is up to us to figure out when that point arrives as no one is going to tell us. My adult children have pushed me to consider placement - they don't want to lose both their parents or their children lose two grandparents. I get it - but getting it in my head does not mean my heart gets it. My DH is still my DH and looking at him next to me on the couch and thinking that he will at some point be somewhere else makes me beyond sad. That is our choice, I think - keep on going and risk whatever total exhaustion does to us, or place our LOs and have physical relief, but then deal with the unbearable sadness of our LO being absent from our home. No happy choice here, but choices that will need to be made and the impact of those choices dealt with over time. I sometimes think - What would i want if my DH were in my shoes? That helps me think through these decisions a little, as I know we used to think very similarly about most things.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm 76 and up until late last year was caring for my DH, diagnosed in 2021. I knew that at some point I would have to place him in care but had planned on keeping him home as long as possible. I knew I would not be physically able to care for him as this terrible disease progressed. It came sooner that I anticipated when I received a devastating diagnosis of aggressive breast cancer. I had to immediately find a facility and place him so I could start chemo. Hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I would start researching now.

• SSHarkey

I’m so sorry! I hope you’re getting the health care you need and that you will be able to rest and recover soon.

• SSHarkey

What a good question! I know my husband couldn’t do what I do. He doesn’t respond well to stress and get discouraged easily. He would place me pretty quickly once I needed physical support. You are right. This helps. Thank you!

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh you'all. Your depth of love and thought for your LOs is incredibly moving. I totally know the pain of making these painful and difficult decisions, but when I see all that love you are approaching them with, I know you'll do the best and right thing for your LO and for you.

I have seen it twice now with my DWs parents, who both had dementia. When they placed their father, then their mother, it truly was the right thing for their parents and for the sisters, who were the main caregivers. Nonetheless, very hard to do both times.

xoxo

• RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes
  • RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

CindyBum,

Yes so difficult. Only you’ll know what to do. Trust your instinct.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more