Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I find oddest things set them off ! How about you??

yesterday out had great day vine home get in house I ask her if she got mail and wife says “why would I get mail!” I said because first thing you do everyday we go out. Hasn’t spoke to me all nite waiting for this morning.

Comments

• Ernie123
    Ernie123 Member Posts: 152
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Charlie 0419: What you experienced is very typical of early stages of Alzheimer’s. Expect the unexpected. Always keep in mind your DW’s brain is slowly losing its normal functioning, not just in memory but in cognitive ability and emotional regulation. Unexpected outbursts of anger are not unusual as that part of the brain that modulates is affected. As her memory fails, her world is not quite as recognizable and maybe she doesn’t remember about checking for mail. As the world seems more confusing she will feel anxious and more likely to react to anything you might say. It is best to not correct or argue. It never ends well and usually leads to more upset. You can’t assume you are talking to the same rational person you have known throughout your marriage.

I suggest you keep a journal and jot down any changes or unusual behaviors. Then it is easier to explain to a doctor what is going on. It is common to have anti anxiety meds like Escitalopram prescribed in early stages to help with upsets. Unfortunately you are just starting down the road of dealing with unexpected reactions and behaviors. Always remember it is the disease causing it, try not to take it personally.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

So far the only thing I've found is sometimes a "saving grace" with these sorts of reactions is that the person forgets about it long before you do. For instance, my DH had a huge anger outburst (think screaming and throwing a small object) and couldn't remember what he'd been upset about less than 3 hours later. He literally asked me, "What was I upset about? I think it was X". It wasn't. Sometimes PWD remember the emotions, but not what triggered them, in my experience.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

She may have felt defensive- that she was expected to get the mail and that she had ‘failed’ because she hadn’t remembered to do it. So she reacted with anger.

Try asking ‘I wonder if we got any mail today’ next time instead. That way she can say ‘ I will go check now’.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited April 18

I know it’s all in the delivery, I’m getting better matter of fact got up and still pissed off , 2 hours later wants to know where we going today.

• subversivevegan
    subversivevegan Member Posts: 29
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

"I suggest you keep a journal and jot down any changes or unusual behaviors" is the #1 thing I would do if I were starting over. I didn't do this until well into our horrible "journey" and so wish that I had done it sooner. Just a few lines each day will help tons when talking to docs and other care-related staff. I write my own and am usually shocked when I read back how much we managed to get through in a week.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

It is best to avoid asking questions. PWDs don't know any answers.

Iris

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I'm finding the same thing with my DH…never know what is going to set him off. I was putting away my tray after dinner, after he finished the dishes and I grabbed his to put away. He said "I need that for my dinner" and I told him we just ate dinner. He got angry and proceeded to grab a big bowl and fill it with the cereal combination he eats every morning and a glass of juice and ate the whole thing - this after having a big bowl of pasta!

I am getting better at diffusing these events (this time I just let him eat it without commenting) but certainly have my days where I just lose it or start crying. I'm such an emotional person it's hard to hold it in. I like the idea of a journal - I did not start until recently, as his progression has seemed to escalate.

• Ernie123
    Ernie123 Member Posts: 152
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My journal now spans 8 years, I started when my DW was 4 years past her diagnosis. I also made recordings when she was delusional and screaming at me which are still very hard to listen to. Now she is in LTC in final stages of the disease but very calm and peaceful most days. I still visit daily to assist with her care but I am not making many entries in my journal because there are now only the inevitable slow final changes in her body and mind. I think my journal could perhaps be used by a medical student as a case study in Alzheimer’s progression. The journal also documents the stress and challenges of caregiving over the years as my emotions are often painfully evident through out the many pages.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more