Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

neurologist visit

JJ401
JJ401 Member Posts: 312
Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Yesterday DH had his six month neurologist visit. He’s declined since the last visit, but is still able to dress appropriately, feed, shower, etc. The last thing the neurologist asked was if he had episodes of agitation or anger. I truthfully said no. He’s always been the most even keel person I know. Neurologist said if it happens to call right away and he’ll see him and prescribe.

I know many have written how difficult it is/was to get help. It was comforting to know that, if/when DH progresses to anger, his neurologist will be available and responsive.

Comments

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

It sounds like you have a caring and involved neurologist. I hope your DH continues to be on an even keel, but it must be a comfort to know his physician is there to help if things go sideways.

• MelissaNH
    MelissaNH Member Posts: 62
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited May 2

My husband was diagnosed with Pick's FTD this week and we don't go back for six months. From what you've shared, he sounds a lot like your husband in his abilities and temperament. My neurologist, who I really liked during the first visit, left me feeling "high and dry" at the last appointment. It's so frustrating. He gave the diagnosis, but failed to tell us anything about what it means, what we should expect, etc. Thank goodness I do my own careful research or I'd be 100% caught off guard. He has anosognosia and in my opinion, that makes things even more difficult to predict in terms of where he's at. Ugh. It's so frustrating. I'm so glad to hear you have a neurologist who is making him/herself available to you and preparing you for "next steps". Thank you for sharing :)

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

There is also a Group for those of us dealing with the subtle differenced FTD brings versus Alzheimer's. Just click on the "Groups" section at the top of the page and you'll find it

• MelissaNH
    MelissaNH Member Posts: 62
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you, CStrope! I really appreciate it :) I joined one for FTD, but it's pretty quiet. I wonder if I found the right one. I'll check again.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487

It looks like you did join. Hopefully some of the posts will resonate with you. Feel free to start some new discussions!

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322

I was unaware of the FTD group, I'll look into it. Although it's pretty late for us. The hospice nurse suggested it's time to look into "final arrangements".

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more