Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Disability and CELA Lawyer

MelissaNH
MelissaNH Member Posts: 62
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello Everyone! I have been reading as much as possible on this site and have searched for answers to my questions to save any redundancy, but I'm still confused. I hope you don't mind me posting about this.

After our appointment with the neuropsychologist, she insisted that disability is a must and should be my first priority in getting set up. A social worker contacted me that afternoon, but all she really offered was phone numbers for the government and state assistance. She reaffirmed that I should start the process immediately. I understand what they were both saying and why, but when I found this site, I see that it is recommended to hire a CELA first and foremost and that has been extremely difficult as we only have three in our state of New Hampshire. And who knows if they are any good! I can't find any reviews online, but I can understand why no one would want to give a review for fear of being sued. Anyway… my first pick has not returned my two calls. The other two CELAs in the state work for the same firm and can't see me until 5/21 and they charge $500 an hour - even for the consultation!

Here is my question… is it really necessary to wait to contact the government for disability? I don't want to make any costly mistakes in this area. Is it really true they can expedite the process? Will the government expect us to sell our home and vehicles before they will assist us? I obviously have lots and lots of questions and could use the help of a lawyer but I just want to make absolutely certain that I am limited to only these three people (two who are at the same firm).

I'm sorry if I'm all over the place here.

Comments

• concerned_sister
    concerned_sister Member Posts: 425
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    edited May 2

Hello Melissa,

Here's what I've learned with my experience with DB.

When we went to the CELA she was able to provide us referals to other lawyers with expertise in filing disability claims. Our expectations on meeting with the CELA were to validate that the DPOA (durable power of attorney) and Health Care Directives we had prepared were ready to take to be notarized. (She pointed out a correction I needed prior to notarizing the DPOA). In your situation you may need your lawyer to help you draft these documents if you have not already done this. In my opinion this is one of the most important legal steps you will take. You will need the DPOA to make decisions on your loved one's behalf. You'll need this if you are stepping in to fix any financial messes that developed before the disease was recongized in your loved one. You'll need it going forward to transact business on behalf of your loved one. You'll need it when you reach the point of placing your loved one in AL or MC. You also need the Health Care Directive (or similar form in your state) so that you can see that your loved one's wishes are carried out when you need to make medical decisions on their behalf.

I'm of the belief you need at least the DPOA for you to be able to engage the disability lawyer on your loved one's behalf.

The other matters the CELA can help with is the laws governing programs you may be eligible before. The biggest of these can be your state's laws regarding Medicaid. Some states have specific rules as to how the loved ones assessts need to be handled prior to quailfying for medicaid to pick up LTC expenses. These strategies may include putting your home in to a living trust and to look out for the financial interests of the partner to the PWD.

In our specific case, our CELA charges 450 an hour, but told us this would be rolled in to her fixed price for preparing the living trust documents, which also includes a will.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Melissa I'd go ahead and make the appointment for 5/21—that's not that far away and will be here before you know it. It's worth the money in the long run, for sure. I can't answer your question about applying for SSDI before then, I personally wouldn't see any harm in it. You are not going to be penalized for anything with SSDI; the lookback and spend-down requirements are for Medicaid.

• Belle
    Belle Member Posts: 117
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited May 2

@MelissaNH From my personal experience we did not need a DPOA or a CELA meeting prior to applying for SSDI. Whoever I needed to talk to just asked my husband for verbal permission to speak to me and after he gave it I was able to handle whatever was needed. You may not even need a disability attorney if you have a clearly written diagnosis of Alzheimer's in your DH's records. We only hired an attorney as DH had not completed testing at the point we applied and his application was rejected in the first round of review by SSA.

Also, sharing our experience our CELA, we were charged a flat fee for drawing up our legal docs and our first hour long consultation (I met with her by myself) was free. We also did not draw up our own DPOA. In our state DPOA's are something like 15 pages long with many, many nuanced paragraphs around what we can do on behalf of the person we are representing. We also tailored ours to allow certain actions only when the spouse was the DPOA but not if someone else had to step into that role.

There is absolutely no way I could have drawn that up on my own. In my experience as a DPOA for another family member, an insufficient DPOA can cause huge delays and in our case, cost more money as we had to have it re-written by a local attorney before banks would accept the document. Just our experience but it was certainly frustrating and delayed some financial changes needed at a critical time.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m in NJ and was told , and it’s legal , to put house in your name take other off.
    then comes how much money you have and what’s buy down on your money. Get POA.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I applied DH for disability online, and he was approved in the 9 months we'd been told to expect. I assume they got info from his neurologist whose name I had provided, and Social Security had him come in for separate testing. That was separate from other processes getting him retired from his job and making arrangements for DPOA and end-of-life decisions.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I’d recommend filing for disability asap and get tha ball rolling.

• MelissaNH

So there is nothing I need to do beforehand with regards to our finances in order to ensure he gets approved for Disability? This is where I am insecure in my decision making. I am confident I can handle all the paperwork and details to apply, it's just I was under the impression that the lawyer would make sure certain assets were protected and expedite the process. Perhaps I am confusing disability with all the other things we may need in the future (state assistance, Medicaid, etc.) It would help if one of the several lawyers would return my call and just answer that one simple question. Sigh.

• Sitemsek
    Sitemsek Member Posts: 10
    First Anniversary First Comment

Melissa. I'm also in NH and we used David R. Craig & Associates in New Boston. I would highly recommend them…worth every penny.

• MelissaNH
    edited May 3

Oh my goodness! I have an appointment with them in a few weeks! I'm meeting with Joshua. Nancy was so helpful on the phone, but unfortunately she wasn't able to answer my question about disability. How ironic!!!

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

others on this site have mentioned the fact that this is a diagnosis that is expedited. This has absolutely nothing to do with finances and everything to do with needing help when a disability impacts a persons ability to work. Don’t

• MelissaNH

@Sitemsek , may I DM you about your experience with that lawfirm? I know you said you had a great experience, but I have some questions in preparation for my meeting on the 21st. I have two other options for lawyer (all charge about $400/hr for the consultation) and I really don't have the money to shop around. They are all over an hour from me too, which is a bummer. Just wondering if you shopped around too.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Melissa, go ahead and apply for Social Security Disability Income (SSDI). If you apply on your own, and are approved, there is no fee. If you engage a lawyer, they will take a fee. Many, many people are approved for SSDI without the use of an attorney in the application process.

The other type of disability is disability through an employer. If he is still working, his employer may have short term and long term disability benefits available.

Your protection of assets questions are totally unrelated to SSDI. They are more related to eventually applying for Medicaid benefits. SSDI is a monthly income. Medicaid is something that helps to pay medical bills.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I used four different lawyers. The first updated our wills and POAs immediately after dementia was first mentioned. The second helped us apply for disability. (Only charged a % of back pay, but DH was approved before he was owed back pay, so we paid nothing). The third was a CELA, who met with me two different times (1/2 hour each time, first hour free so no charge!) and in the end gave me some bad advice. The fourth was a CELA who was EXPENSIVE, but worth every penny I paid him. He was in charge of helping with the financial aspect of it all and qualifying DH for Medicaid just before I placed him in memory care.

Like a PP said, SSDI is different than managing your finances. IMHO, you're fine applying for SSDI before you work with a CELA.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more