Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Every moment seems to be a challenge

I think I’m just needing to share what I’m feeling. I know there are no answers. My DH is stage 6 Alzheimer’s with PPA as well. He’s 73 and I’m 62. He is still sweet most of the time but of course gets frustrated with me sometimes. I try so hard to follow all the rules regarding just answering questions over and over again but there are days I just feel like I’m falling apart. He follows me around and constantly (like sometimes 10 times a day) says he has no money. We go through the whole situation about his money. It’s always something he gets obsessed about. He says he’s sorry about everything even though there’s nothing to be sorry about. He talks to himself and hollers at the tv so we can’t even watch tv anymore. We go somewhere almost every day. He’s always ready to go somewhere even if we just got home. I know everyone feels this but life just holds very little fun anymore. The best parts of every week is when we go to church. I just want to be somewhere by myself and breathe. I still love him but not in a romantic way and that makes me feel so guilty. He can’t perform any tasks anymore not even brushing his teeth out putting on his clothes. Every meal is a challenge. Well I’ve finished venting for now. I know we’re all in this mess but sometimes I feel so alone.

Comments

• Hope5757
    Hope5757 Member Posts: 150
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m so sorry.

I’m a daughter in law caregiver but we all share some of the same frustrations. We also share the same regrets as we’ve all responded impatiently or in anger. Give yourself grace.

I’m fortunate in that I can leave occasionally as my spouse is here too. And we recently hired an aide for 10 hours a week.

If at all possible, please start making respite plans now. Is day care possible? If not, can you hire someone for a few hours? Hospice offers in home health care paid for by Medicare.

It’s so important that you get help now as it gets harder as the LO progresses.

Please feel free to vent. This is a safe and supportive place.

• GiGi1963
    GiGi1963 Member Posts: 101
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I've experienced the same day to day existence as you. After awhile it drags you down and it's very hard to feel joy. I did place my husband in MC when he could no longer do anything without my help. His anger and incontinence pushed me over the edge. It has been two months but I still feel guilt for not being able to stay the course till the end. I can't say it is better now. This is a no win disease. Please take care of yourself too.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

You're definitely not alone. Vent when you need to. And try to find some small pleasure for yourself. No joy isn't sustainable.

I try to find some time each day to read or even just take a few deep breaths on the back deck. I've also found that my husband responds really well to music so I make sure to spend some time each day singing along with him to the Beatles station on Amazon or "kitchen dancing." There is some joy in connecting with him in this way.

Hang in there.

• sfrsythe
    sfrsythe Member Posts: 9
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

please feel free to vent. I am just starting this journey. My DH is still where he can see he’s slipping at times. Breaks my heart and then there’s the shadowing because he doesn’t want to be alone. I know how overwhelming that can feel. You’re a wonderful gift in his life.Be sure to get some respit care. It will help.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I know it is a cliche but I think we all need to learn to be kind to ourselves. For me, I struggle with giving myself the grace that I freely give others. What we are doing as caregivers is incredibly hard and we all feel tremendous guilt when we feel like we don't measure up. Be kind to yourself! Easier said than done!

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so sorry and I am with you in spirit. This is my DH almost to a T. The anger and agitation is the worst. And also, he just wants to be going somewhere all the time. It’s so hard to manage every day living, trying to get it all done and then to be told we never do anything anymore. I journal a lot and lock myself away in the bathroom(like right now) to read and listen to music. Right now we are off to get corn even tho it’s May and we live in the north. Can’t change his mind about that so maybe we’ll go look at the empty cornfields for the day💜💕

• OhDear
    OhDear Member Posts: 19
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

OMG, I am so relieved that I'm not the only one - My DH is also like this and it is so difficult. I too lock myself in the bathroom and try to breathe. I get told we don't do anything anymore - I tried planning all sorts of trips that, once started, he thinks are ridiculous. I realize now that simpler and familiar is better - we too visit farms and gardens off-season again and again, but at least I can join him in the joy or disappointment.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 192
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

All of these comments apply to me also. Try as I may there never seems to be a day that I'm not tired and sad at some point. We still go on "errands" every day - but then we come back to the same routine. I can't even leave him to shower alone because he floods the bathroom. Twice in the last week.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

My husband made a comment the other day that we don’t do anything with friends anymore. (We used to host people for dinner on a regular basis. But rarely getting return invitations. People are just so busy) When he said that, I told him I can’t do that anymore. Cooking for 6-8 people is work, along with the house prep involved. I’ll gladly do that for my family. But I’m pretty much done with dinner parties. Then I reminded him how we regularly meet friends after church on Sundays for lunch. I’m physically worn down with RA and fibromyalgia. Add to that everything else, and I really don’t want to do that anymore. I think he got my message. He didn’t say anything else.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
  • Sweetfire
    Sweetfire Member Posts: 8
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

Oh my gosh, this is my life right now! I identify. I know if I put my DH in memory care at this point it would devastate him, but honestly, I dream about having more than a 4 four-hour break a week (when a caregiver takes him out of the house). There are times when I feel I am just losing my mind. I wonder at what point I should start thinking more about my long-term health (I have ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia) and move him into full-time care. It is my chronic illness that makes this situation with my DH so much harder to deal with. Thanks for sharing your situation…it helps.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more