Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just wanted to say "Hello friends"

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I've been gone for a while, but that doesn't mean I've forgotten about you. As the song said "You are always on my mind".

So just a little update. It seems like every time I want to do something to help others, something gets in the way. I've been in contact with Jim Mangi (you might know him as "Toad"), the man who brought dementia friendly movies to the states (it began in England). I wanted to get involved in his undertaking, and he told me of a theater about 15 - 20 miles from my home, who might be interested in making this available for those suffering from dementia, their caregivers, friends and families. I contacted the general manager, who told me he was getting ready for a 2 week vacation, but he would get in touch with me. It was actually about a month before I heard from him. He told me Emagine, their headquarters, said they wanted to hold off for about 6 months to evaluate their other theaters who are already doing this.

This actually worked out pretty well for me because I've been having some rather minor worsening with my low blood sugar problems, and my emphysema is bothering me a little more. So I really don't feel comfortable handling this at this time. Maybe at a later date.

But if you are in an area where dementia friendly movies are available, please consider taking advantage of them if possible. This is really a great and needed program. Here's a link for you to understand what it is all about. https://www.emagine-entertainment.com/dementia-friendly/

As always I hope you are finding your way through this difficult stage of life just a little easier because of this wonderful forum. Prayers coming for all.

Comments

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Hi Ed, It's always good to hear from you. Sorry to hear that you are experiencing some worsening with low blood sugar problems, and the emphysema. However, I'm happy that you describe it as minor. Thanks for sharing the tip on dementia friendly movies. Take care.

Tom

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

so glad to see your post Ed, I’ve been wondering how you were faring. Have missed your input on so many levels! Hope the health problems stay minor.

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Ed, just wanted to say it is good to hear from you. Hoping your health issues resolve a bit. I appreciate all the wisdom you share.

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Welcome back.

What makes a film "dementia friendly"?

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

good to “see” you Ed! Always nice to have your input! Take care of yourself! SH

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks Ed! Hope you feel better soon.

• Ed1937

@l7pla1w2 Sorry it took so long to reply. I wound up back in the hospital, but going home now. Here's the link. https://www.emagine-entertainment.com/dementia-friendly/ It basically is what has been called a party where they show a movie. All the movies shown are vetted for content before they are shown, so no drastic violence (which may upset people with dementia), no sex, racial slurs, etc. Musicals are big, and movies like "Field of Dreams" may be shown. People are encouraged to talk, sing along, dance, and whatever else makes for a good time. There also may be prizes, tables for snacks, sources for information, etc. When a theater has their first showing, some of these things might not be available, since the goal is basically to get things started. People attending either have dementia or are closely involved with the patient (friends, family, caretakers, etc. So if there are bizarre behaviors, it is somewhat expected. Cost is only $5 each, and that goes to the theater to help cover costs. The theaters I've seen are exceptionally comfortable and roomy. People in wheelchairs are not forgotten. There may be wheelchair ramps or other things needed by those people. One woman said this was the first "date" she had with her husband in 9 years. I think being involved in helping with something like this would be very satisfying.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Glad to hear you're going home! Hope you are feeling better. So nice to hear from you. How's Suzy?? She must be getting big xo

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Thanks, Ed. It looks like Emagine is in the Upper Midwest, and I don't see anything in the Metro NY area. However, the list of suitable movies is helpful.

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear Ed. It's nice hearing from you, please take care of yourself and check in as otter as you can, Hugs Zetta

• GiGi1963
    GiGi1963 Member Posts: 101
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Ed, so happy to see your post. Missed your wisdom and hope you are feeling better.

• Ed1937

Thanks for the replies to the thread. Things are good again.

Caro, yes, she's getting bigger now. She's around 50 pounds, and going in tomorrow morning for spaying. I hope it isn't too hard keeping her quiet so she can recover nicely.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Great to hear from you, Ed. (I was worried, but took the “ignorance is bliss” path.) Glad to hear you are still dropping by. Take care of yourself! Thinking of you and praying for your continued good health. ❤️

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

So good to know you are OK, Ed. And I love that your enthusiasm for helping others on this particular journey has remained intact. Hope the problems stay minor and your family is ok.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more