Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Angry

AnderK
AnderK Member Posts: 123
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Just. So. Angry.

Comments

• teach365
    teach365 Member Posts: 6
    5 Care Reactions First Comment First Anniversary

OH, believe me, I understand!

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 192
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Ditto-and sad

• Jazzma
    Jazzma Member Posts: 105
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I'd like to second trottingalong's comments. Your posts have helped me more than you can know. Take comfort in how much you mean to others in this situation. I wish you the best.

• mrsabaldwin
    mrsabaldwin Member Posts: 44
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I completely understand. My anger stems from my LO’s docs not diagnosing sooner. I’ve been “in charge” of moms health for 20 years and not once has any doc said that a stroke especially as massive as hers was when she was 36 years old could lead to VD. Nor did a single one say a thing especially when she scored poorly on a MOCA test or they had to talk to me because any kind of conversation with her was difficult. And to think she has Alz and VD. Shuffling feet, incontinence, repeating stories from the past as if they are present day, delirium and hallucinations when hospitalized. So many signs that were witnessed by medical professionals and I just chalked up to a stroke and being on the spectrum. Thinking that mom has always had an odd sleep schedule and discovering it was sundowning beginning.

I happened to have and bring the chart notes from 1977 for mom’s stroke that also list arterial fibromuscular dysplasia as the cause to her neurology appointment this month. I asked what it was. Neurologist said it is a condition she was born with and that she was basically destined to have dementia from birth. Brain and renal arterial fibromuscular dysplasia is a death sentence or at best dementia.

For 20 years I have provided these chart notes to doctors. It was this last April at moms six month and Medicare check up that I asked about particular issues that had come up. In December she could operate her cell phone and microwave. By April she was completely dependent on me for ADL’s and the sundowning and hallucinations and not remembering that she has lived with me for several years had increased a thousand fold. But there were signs before. Signs I did not see but some medical professional at some point should have.

I have a mental health appointment next week via doctor on demand. I’m hoping to vent some of my frustration. And I am tired. So tired. I work full time on top of this. I was hoping to retire in the next year or two but I’m no longer in that position. The up side is that I have a job with a lot of flexibility. I’ve also always been the “yes” person on staff and I finally feel I can say no when I need to do so. A friend told me that I have spoiled people by always being the one to get things done or take on extra. Well let the unspoiling begin!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Mrs. B, does it help to know that there's probably not much the docs could have done to prevent your mother's problems, even if diagnosed sooner? Fibromuscular dysplasia is a relatively rare condition and there is no treatment—and certainly there wasn't in 1977. It certainly would have been one of the things they looked for in looking for the cause of a stroke in a woman in her '30's. Entirely possible that everything that's unfolded since then relates back to that one catastrophic event, and age has taken its toll.

Certainly it's frustrating to have to deal with such a devastating disease—and all of us can feel angry that life is just so unfair sometimes, in general. All of us can also feel angry that our medical system is so broken and so hard to navigate. But from what you're saying, I doubt if there's much any of the docs could have done to give her a different outcome. I don't know if that makes you feel better, or worse—hope it's the former. Glad you're getting support for your own mental health.

AnderK, I'd still love to hear more about what's going on with you.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Angry….Sad…..frustrated, Angry….Sad….frustrated. It's all I feel anymore, and it just repeats itself

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I have been saying for a long time that many doctors are CLUELESS in regards to dementia. That may sound disrespectful, but it is factual. They just don't know. I complained about my own clueless doctors for years. But I had to let it go. The anger and disappointment was eating me up. I can't change the past. What I can do is learn from the past and go forward. And try to help others who are caught in the quagmire. My suggestion is to read a lot of threads and to post a lot. This is what got me out of my deep depression.

Iris

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

yep. Angry, sad, frustrated. No end in sight. It’s also not as if my mom is the only person I’m shoring up. There’s no time for me- and @M1- I find myself playing phone Sudoku when I should be doing chores

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

so much empathy K. I wish there were answers. Don’t be angry with yourself though, or feel like any of this is your fault or your failure. You’re doing the best you can I’m sure. All of us are too hard on ourselves.

Sometimes it helps me to think about what my partner would say if she were still in her right mind. Does that help you think through any of it?

Sounds like you are considering MC but afraid of it, is that right?

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Kathy:

I am sorry you are going thru this. What we are doing is extraordinary and we are all doing the best we can. We all need to be kinder to ourselves.

• northernlady
    northernlady Member Posts: 85
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited May 21

Same Same Same

It's not enough that all the ADLs of a formerly competent partners suddenly falls on us.

It's not enough that we simulantaneously take on all the care and lose the relationship with all the support, friendship, and love that it entailed.

And it's not enough our health care system doesn't take care of our LOs. That our LOs need to be on death's door to get the level of care needed through Hospice and not a minute sooner.

Rantover/

• AnderK

M1, I will try that tack…It can't hurt. Yes, I am considering, actually, more than considering, memory care. The place I have chosen for him has promised that they will keep me on their list. There are openings now, but I feel like I would be giving up too soon, and taking away too much from him. He so dearly loves our river that runs outside of our home. The MC has also promised to let me know if they get down to one space.

As you addressed about being tired. I wonder if just the tiredness isn't coloring my view of what is happening. We had someone in for three hours for awhile, but then she needed to change hours, just as he was getting somewhat used to her. We are going to start again next week, anyway.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

beautifully said and at the same time, bitterly sad.

• AnderK

LaneyG, you said so much that was only shadowed in my missive. Squeaking by, one day at a time. So apt. Kathy

• RayeMc
    RayeMc Member Posts: 22
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

Clueless is right and even when they are certified in geriatrics, which is the case of my DH and my doctor. In addition to my husband's dementia, we have a 37 yo disabled son who lives with us. Needless to say, I am often stressed and overwhelmed. When I asked our PCP for something to just help take the edge off when I am the most stressed, he gave me twleve (that's 12) Valium. Really?? It should be mandatory reading for physicians dealing with dementia patients to read some of these threads and see what day to day life is like when a loved one has this awful disease. They might develop some insight!!

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

so true!!

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I will chime in that physician & neurologist we've seen don't have a clear picture of the disease or what it takes to be a caregiver. I have found that several PA's have had a more compassionate heart. When your with your LO at an appointment the the physician asks the ridiculous question "how's it going?" its just talk. Besides, personally, I refuse to talk badly about my LO with him in the room. Nope, it just won't happen, but that's me. So, I smile & say okay. We all know its not ok, but then it's the acceptable game of physician patient.

I will say, our PCP has me come in for a "check-up" every 4 months. He checks on me and how I'm doing and then asks about my LO, etc. He started doing that when we were in for an appointment with DH and the PCP ask me if I was feel ok. I said fine - and I meant it. He said you look tired, too tired - I want to see you alone sometime and we'll go from there. So hats off to him.

I don't know any caregiver who isn't tired, is there one? I think the key is, as caregivers, we have to find something that cheers us, fills our cup so to speak. Something as simple as gardening, sitting on the patio, walk around the block, read a book - or just sit. Its not deep rest but for me I'm recharged and that's a good thing.

eagle

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh, that comment used to make me so upset and angry. But I finally figured out what to say in response to not embarrass myself or the person that made the comment. I usually just say something along the lines of: "Yes he does, on the outside. Your welcome to come spend several days with us to understand this disease. His brain is effected, really, when do you want to come and stay?" What usually happens is they say something like - oh I didn't know - etc.

When someone doesn't know what to say that is the go to - he looks good. Yes he does because I work hard!

eagle

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Regarding "PWD looks good". This is a testament to the caregiver's efforts to scaffold. It can be taken as a compliment. Frankly, IMO, caregivers need to spend less time thinking about what other people think. They don't know what's going on, so why does it matter what they think?

Iris

• LindaLouise
    LindaLouise Member Posts: 94
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

It is beyond hard - my kids are young parents and watching them lose their dad and the grandkids lose their beloved Grandad is heartbreaking, but I know there are some of you with younger kids and that is even more painful. My brothers and their spouses were texting about Memorial Day plans and one threw in a "How's (DH)"? I somehow couldn't reduce my heartbreak, exhaustion, loneliness and feelings of loss into a text message - so I just let it go unanswered. No one gets it - and I am so grateful for this forum where everyone understands. Just knowing I am not the only one is so comforting, in the midst of all the sadness…

• Hope5757
    Hope5757 Member Posts: 150
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

@LindaLouise ,

So many times, I’ve just said “we’re ok” when asked how everyone is doing. A few times when my sisters ask, I’ll unload the truth. There’s always a big silence or a rah-rah “you got this!”

No one really wants to hear. And I can’t blame them. It’s not funny or pleasant and everyone who hears is secretly relieved it’s not their life.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I was one of those who made comments about the PWD looking good, or acting ok before I had any idea what this disease involved other than “ forgetting things”. I didn’t make the remarks to be unkind or uncaring, quite the opposite. I just had no idea and the caregivers never explained what was really going on or seemed anxious to do so. Now that my DH is affected I do sometimes share what life is really like, mostly in the hope of trying to get attitudes in the medical community toward this horrible disease to change.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more