Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

what dementia has taken from us

l7pla1w2
l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

This is really a follow-on to the Angry discussion. On top of losing the PWD, we lose the joy of some of the activities we shared. In our case it's gardening. I'm not angry, but I am very sad.

DW and I have been gardening since we met and had a place to do it. She usually took care of the flowers, and I usually took care of the veggies. She used to start literally hundreds of seedlings under lights in the basement during the winter and then planted them out when the weather got warm. She knew the names of everything, and sometimes she put out labels that passers-by could read. By starting seeds, we could grow some things that many nurseries don't carry. Lots of people used to stop when they walked by to admire our garden. We had an abundance of annuals to cut and bring inside.

One of my greatest losses due to DW's dementia is that most of that is now gone. I started some plants from seeds last year, but it didn't work out all that well, and I haven't done so this year. I won't be planting a veggie garden.

What happens now is pretty sad. We buy plants at nurseries. In the past, DW would spend the rest of an afternoon deciding where to put them and then planting them. Now DW seems unsure what to do, and she wants me to hang around to supervise and help. Planting used to be an activity she looked forward to, but now she seems to find it a burden. I thought maybe by setting her up with things to plant, I could get a little respite time, but that only worked a little bit.

DW's dementia has robbed us both of something we used to love to do.

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Innocence!

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

The loss of things we did together with our loved ones…hits my heart. Thank you for sharing .

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes, so true. It has robbed me of the ability to speak. I like to talk to my DH. I keep forgetting I can’t do that anymore with ease.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

So interesting what you pointed out, @wose. This demon disease takes our voices as well. At least for a time.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

it breaks my heart to see m DW , who ran a business for 30 yrs look at a clock , where time is 9.40 and wife looks at clock and says “ 4 more times till 10”. I guess each movement from 9.40 to 9.45 is one time and rest till 10. Very heart breaking to see and I know she’s confused.

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

So true. How many times a day do I think of a remark I would have made in the before-times, only to stop myself when I realize DW won't understand, or it will lead to a looping conversation? Silence is not always golden.

• concerned_sister
    concerned_sister Member Posts: 425
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

@CindyBum ..."a person constantly disappointed in me and what I'm not doing right". There was a point in my teenage son's life I realized nothing I do would ever be right (one week the burgers are under cooked, the next over cooked). For me, that realization was freeing. From there forward there was no agonizing, I just accepted that outcome before I started. I hope you come to that acceptance…and know that it's really not you, it's them.

• Belle
    Belle Member Posts: 117
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Oh that is a hard one isn't it? Any conversation can set my DH off into either anxiety, crankiness, or feeling like he needs to take action. It makes the isolation of caregiving even more isolating.

• JC5
    JC5 Member Posts: 164
    100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments

Breaks my heart and so sorry this is your reality! It is so hard to deal with lost traditions and everyday “normal “ life with our loved ones with dementia. Still trying to accept 🤷🏻‍♀️We are here for you!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more