Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Service dog

allit
allit Member Posts: 82
10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

My wife was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago with Mild Cognitive Impairment with Alzheimer's pathology. She's 64 years old and I'm 54. I don't remember who brought it up, but the idea of having a service dog was discussed. My wife has pretty much always had a dog. Right now we have a 13 year old American pit bull and a 2&1/2 year old foster dog. My wife feels very strongly about keeping a dog in our lives. We're thinking the best way to always have a dog around with us no matter where she goes, is to have a service dog. So, along with all the other stuff we're doing to learn about Alzheimer's and to get our affairs in order, we are researching options for service dogs.

I did a quick search of the discussion boards and found a couple of posts about it but not many. I can understand why since it seems that there's so much to consider that trying to arrange for a service dog on top of that is a lot of work. But since we're doing it anyway, I figure I would share what we've been doing so far.

I found a Facebook group called Puppy Seekers Project and posted on there. Someone responded that the group has a side chat specifically for people looking for Service/Support Dogs. I asked some questions on there and got some suggestions. From that I did a bit more research and came across an organization called Assistance Dogs International.

Through the website for Assistance Dogs International, I came across a couple of service dog organizations in NC where we live as well as many other organizations across the country. Some train the dogs themselves and some will help you train your own dog.

At first, we thought it would make sense to start with a puppy and train our own dog since my wife is at the very early stage and it could take 3 years or so to train a dog. We did some research and discovered that labradoodles have service dog as a specific trait in their breed standard. And there is an Australian Cobberdog that is supposed to be really good at service dog work and come in sizes that range from small to large. But, it didn't take long for us to realize that there is so much going on now that training a puppy on top of everything else probably isn't such a great idea. So, right now, we've settled on checking out a couple of places near us to see if they can train a dog for us.

The two we have contacted so far are Eyes, Ears, Nose and Paws and another organization called Paws4People. We are waiting to hear back from them.

So, I'm starting this thread to share what we learn and to get any feedback from others who may have also looked into having a service dog.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I'll be interested to see what you find out. However, you may also want to look at other old threads about the pros and cons of having animals around a person with dementia. It's not straightforward. My partner is a huge animal lover but it became very problematic as her disease progressed, as she was obsessed with feeding them to a point of conflict. Not saying that you can't try it, but it may not unfold as you are expecting.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I would think long and hard before jumping into it. My DW and I are both dog lovers. Our lab died a year ago and this is the first time since the mid 90s that we have been without a dog. My DW is transitioning from stage 5 to stage 6 and I cannot imagine the added responsibility of a dog. A dog is a 10-15 year commitment and your life is going to change dramatically over the next decade.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I recently lost my 14 year old fur baby. My DH loved her and we were both devastated when she died. He is in late stage 5. We did rescue a 5 year old puppy mill mama 2.5 months ago. She has brought us great joy and comfort. However, all of the work falls on the caregiver, and because of my DH's challenges, it is not safe to have him walk her because she will crisscross in front of the handler when she is walking causing a tripping hazard. She also will try to eat things. She has cost us approximately $5000 in vet bills due to her previous unhealthy conditions. I tell you this so that you can be prepared if you chose to go ahead. I do not regret adopting her because she has helped me stay sane and she would probably have died if we had not rescued her. However, if you are doing this for your DW with dementia, please know that as your DW's condition declines, it will cause more diligence on your part to keep both safe. I have to watch out all of the time that she is not fed inappropriate things, that he doesn't accidently let her out and doesn't trip over her. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

We got a golden retriever puppy when DH was slipping into stage 5. Best decision ever. She's not a service dog, but was a constant companion for him when he was still home alone during the day. I trained her to "find" DH. That came in handy several times when DH got out of my sight in a later stage. Yes, DH tried to feed her everything, but I was able to manage that. She was a huge support for me when DH was still home and we were having so much trouble with his behaviors. Once I placed DH, she went on visits with me to his memory care and the residents just love her.

I'll add that DH was early 50s when we got our puppy, so both of them were very active. Our son was still in high school and able to help with the dog.

My puppy is now almost 7, and is having some major health problems (she's ruptured tendons in both front paws). It's breaking my heart to see her have this trouble after all she's been through to support DH and me.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

My 65 yr old husband (stage 6) and I have always had pets, but when our cat died after his diagnosis, 6 years ago, I chose to remain pet free. I miss the joy and companionship pets provide but I think my decision was best. Caring for my husband (without help) is overwhelming. Caring for anything else would be too much.

I've witnessed the amazing abilities of service dogs. The way they interact and serve their humans is truly amazing. But I'm skeptical of the usefulness with PWD. My husband can barely interact with me. I don't think he could interact with a service animal.

Every person, and situation, is different. I hope this works out well for you and I hope you keep the forum updated.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@allit

I don't have a service or emotional support dog experience but have been around the concept through my association with autism families for years.

You'd need to decide if you want a service animal or more of an emotional support/companion dog. A service animal is one who performs a specific task(s) for a person with a disability. This might be a dog who guides a blind person, picks up subtle blood sugar issues for a diabetic helps their person with seizures get into a safe position ahead on onset. A friend who is a teacher had a student with severe mobility issues who had a Capuchin monkey trained to assist his student in gathering materials and tech from their backpack and setting up his lunch. Service animals pretty much are allowed anywhere. Other "helper" animals are not.

Training is extensive and expensive, so these service pups are in short supply with significant waiting lists. One consideration is that your wife would need to be able to appropriately manage her assigned animal after training. Given the wait-time to either buy or train one, she's likely progress to a point where she wouldn't be able to reliably do this.

Training does take time. I have a colleague whose family does the initial socialization training for The Seeing Eye organization. They tend to be labs as a rule. The family has the pup for about 18 months before they are graduated to start their person-specific training. About half their pups have failed— either they're do "friendly" or not reliable. Their first girl was highly prized for her petite size, but she was "indiscriminately friendly" and ended up as a breeding bitch for a couple litters before being spayed and adopted out. Those who flunk out often make great companions.

I have another friend who is a professional dog trainer. She left law when it became apparent her son has high functioning autism. She's an accomplished trainer who mostly does Canine Good Citizen, but she's also trained her own labs for the agility circuit. She did attempt to train one of her girls as a service dog for her son— she was specifically to be a guide for safety on stairs, escalators and sidewalks as her son, bright as he is, has major issues with proprioception. It didn't go well for her as the dog she selected didn't seem to trust the son as her person. He's a terrific young man; they just went to Sweden to see him graduate with his Masters Degree but socially the dog was uneasy as he could be unpredictable. I could see this as a problem for a PWD.

In terms of selecting a breed, I would be very cautious around buying a Cobber. There are many unscrupulous breeders passing off doodles as Cobblers. You want to be certain to check the pedigree of any you consider— look for animals bred from Australian dogs within the last couple of generations. Expect to wait for a legitimate Cobber; my cousin bought one and jokes that the wait was over 18 months and that she birthed 2 human babies in less time. Pup was about $15K. Said dog is gorgeous and well-tolerated by her very allergic husband (the goal here) but she is neurotic— she's afraid of cars, other dogs and small children which limits cousin's ability to say, take her for a walk through the neighborhood or at the park. It's always a gamble what a dog's personality will be like. Cobber's are supposed to be chill dogs, but this one didn't get the email.

Since your goal is to make sure she can always have a dog around her, I assume you are considering placement as a potential option as a service animal would have to be accepted if she was. This may limit your ability to place her as MCFs act rather like private schools in that you are accepted into the community at their pleasure. Dad was rejected by mom's first choice of MCF based on his one diagnosis being potentially associated with "certain behaviors".

Perhaps if and when it's time to consider placement, you should look for a place that has a resident pet or therapy animals who visit regularly. My aunt's MCF had a miniature poodle in addition to a couple of mellow cats who came and went between the AL and MC wings. Early in her stay, the poodle hung with her a lot but she lost interest (and so did he) in the later stages. Dad's MCF had weekly therapy dog visits and many families brought their family pets to visit.

HB

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

We have a 9 year old shepherd that is a wonderful companion for my husband. She was a rescue at 3 years old. We have always had dogs. At our age, a puppy is out of the question. So much comes with puppy energy and training. There is absolutely no way I could add that to my caregiving. I would also ask, will you keep the new dog, no matter what happens with your wife as her disease advances. Because as it does, everything will fall on you. Including the needs of a young dog who needs exercise. We have thought long and hard the past year about getting another dog because of our dogs age. We always do rescues and I began considering an older dog who is well past the puppy stage and would enjoy a slow walk with my husband and just being by his side. An older companion dog is also an option. But, my husband is changing, and I’m afraid he won’t accept a new dog I would bring home. And that’s not fair to the animal. If I bring an animal into our home, it stays in our home. I know it’s hard to look ahead on this journey, but in a year, your DW will be in a different mental state from where she is today.

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 567
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I’m unsure exactly what specific ‘service’ the dog would be doing for you DW to actually qualify as a service dog. As your DW progresses, you would be the one directing and handling the dog, probably 100%. At a certain point, you have to decide whether the added responsibilities of a dog will outweigh its benefits…only you can determine this.

My mom had a well loved dog that during her time in stage four, we had to rehome with a relative. She fed it constantly, til it was seriously overweight, could not read the dog’s desire to go outside anymore + could not maintain proper hygiene with the dog, not washing her hands after handling him, she managed to have an e. coli problem which was not a pleasant time.

I gave her one of those mechanical cats that she liked for quite some time.

• allit

Hi M1, looking through the threads was one of the things I did. And I shared what I read with my wife, especially about someone kind of being obsessed with feeding their animal. We've discussed some of the challenges that we think we might encounter. I don't know for sure that a service dog is the exact right choice. But for now, that's what we're researching. I know for sure, that we will probably always have some kind of dog as a companion. Luckily, we have some friends who are willing to help. If it gets to the point where having a dog in our house is not working out, I think we'll have some options for help.

• allit

Hi midge333, thanks for the response. We've had several dogs during our time together. They've all lived to be over 10 years old. We have a 13 year old now. I am concerned about the commitment, especially because I'm getting older myself and do know how I will handle everything as my wife progresses. But right now, I feel like I can't let that stop us from at least looking into things and hopefully getting a dog now that we can train really well. We have some really good friends who are willing to help too. So I do have some hope that it'll work out.

• allit

Hi Denise1847, that's really amazing that you took the plunge and rescued a 5 year old puppy mill mama! I have been a volunteer at our county shelter since 2017 and I also volunteer with some local rescues. We have a foster dog now. I hear you about all of the stuff that comes with a rescue dog. While I love rescue dogs, our plan is to work with a service dog organization and to obtain a dog that is bred specifically for this kind of work. Ideally, the service dog organization will do the initial training and then we will take over when the dog is, I guess, 2-3 years old? So hopefully, we'll start off with a well trained and healthy dog.

• allit

Hi JoseyWales, your comment really gives me hope! This is exactly the best case scenario that we're imagining. Training to "find" is one of the tasks we are hoping the dog we choose will be able to do. It is actually recommended to me in another group to take search and rescue courses with any dog we get. That was something I didn't even think about until we started this research.

• allit

Hi JDancer, I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear cat. I will keep updating this thread with our experiences. It's clear to me from all the responses that this is a very popular subject. So many people receive so much joy from their companion animals.

• allit

Hi harshedbuzz (by the way, awesome handle!), thanks so much for the very thorough and thoughtful response. A service monkey, wow, what a very interesting idea! But, I know for sure we are not going that route, lol. I think it would be awesome but kind of freaky too.

Regarding my wife declining and not being able to manage a service dog, we've thought about that too. I'm wondering, if in a case like a service dog for dementia, if that's taken into consideration. I would essentially be the handler responsible for the service dog when it gets to the point where my wife couldn't handle the dog. I guess that wouldn't really work out if she goes to a MCF. At that point, I suppose, the service dog would just be more like a therapy dog who comes with me when I visit her.

Regarding training and the Cobberdog issue. Yeah, we have pretty much come to the realization that we are not going to find and train our own dog. We're hoping to go with an organization that has experience with this. They will train the dog and there will be a process for matching a dog to the person.

Very good point about finding a MCF that has a resident pet. Thank you so much for that suggestion.

• allit

Hi trottingalong, thanks so much for your response. I'm happy to see that your shepherd is providing wonderful companionship to your husband. Yes, I will definitely keep the dog in my life no matter what happens with my wife. Or at least I will try my best to do that with the help of friends and family. She is at a very very early stage now and we are hoping she will have plenty of time to be able to work with a young dog now and to have the dog in her life as she progresses. I hope this thread is giving you some ideas too for your consideration of any new dog. I know I'm getting a lot from it so far.

• allit

Hi terei, thanks for that response. Yeah, for as long as I can, I'll be around helping to take care of the dog too so my wife won't have all the responsibility. I have read other comments from people about their LO overfeeding and generally losing the ability to care for their pet. We are at such an early stage in the diagnosis that I hope that we will still have several years ahead of us where my wife will be able to get some significant value out of having a service dog. Some things we are thinking about are deep pressure therapy and help with medication reminders. I suppose we can think of some others too. We're just starting our research.

• allit

Hi justbreathe2, thanks so much for that reply and for the details of what's going on. This is very helpful. It's becoming very clear to me that this overfeeding behavior is a common issue. So that's something we will be definitely discussing with any organization that will be willing to work with us. I wonder if there are ways to mitigate that with a service dog. Like, perhaps, an official service dog can be trained to eat only when a specific person is feeding them? And ignore all other attempts to feed?

And thank you for sharing that your LO was diagnosed only 2 years ago with MCI and is showing this behavior now. That definitely makes me take a breath. Can I ask, how old he was when he was diagnosed? I guess he's not a candidate for lecanemab now since he has progressed?

• allit

Thanks everyone for your responses! It's clear to me that this is a subject that touches many people. I will definitely be updating as we go along. Right now, we are waiting for responses from the organizations that we contacted.

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I can kind of see doing it early in the disease, to end up with a well trained dog in the middle stages who can handle things better than a regular pet. However, know that training might be harder than you think (her dementia may get in the way of consistency) and you may not have as long as you think before she cannot be trusted to care for it, or even left alone in the same room with it. Many PWD get to the point where it's dangerous to the animal. Over feeding or feeding stuff that could make them sick, not petting or treating it appropriately, leaving the door open for them to run off, a change in personality/attitudes and having anger towards it etc. It being a trained service animal will not change the trajectory of dementia, and at a certain point it won't be fair to the dog to be with her alone. My mother was a cat person and it became a real problem when she was still at home. She made that cat so sick, putting weird foods in her bowl when we weren't looking. And she wanted to care for it and do things like scoop the litter box but no longer had the skills and judgement and made it so much harder. I also can't see a MC facility taking this on if you need to place her eventually, as I don't think it would fall under the ADA for services it performs for her like a seeing eye dog. The aides in facilities don't have time to care for pets. So just be sure you are ready to be the full time caretaker for the dog from beginning to end.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

it’s a great topic and I’m glad you brought it up. I wish both of you the best.

• harshedbuzz

@allit said: Regarding my wife declining and not being able to manage a service dog, we've thought about that too. I'm wondering, if in a case like a service dog for dementia, if that's taken into consideration. I would essentially be the handler responsible for the service dog when it gets to the point where my wife couldn't handle the dog.

That's not how this works. TBH, I would be surprised if any legitimate service dog organization would even consider a PWD for one of their dogs. The model is that the service animal takes its orders from their person— this requires a level of cognitive ability and maturity which is why kids don't get matched until about middle school for the most part. With Seeing Eye, those getting a first dog spend 4 weeks training with it; previous clients spend 3 weeks training on campus with their new dog.

These animals are a valuable resource, and the priority would be given to a person for whom the dog offers independence. Is that your wife? In reading your initial post, it seems more like you want your wife to be able to have a dog with her as a companion which isn't the intention of a service animal. If I recall correctly, she would need a physician's order stating her diagnosis and that the animal is going to provide a service specific to that diagnosis.

I guess that wouldn't really work out if she goes to a MCF. At that point, I suppose, the service dog would just be more like a therapy dog who comes with me when I visit her.

Then maybe get a therapy dog. Or just a good natured pet. That might be an easier project and wouldn't require any special breed. DS's 2nd grade teacher's therapy dog won recognition as "dog of the year" for her work in the aftermath of 9/11. The pup had been surrendered as too energetic and her brother the vet suggested the dog to his sister. Her other therapy dog at the time was a breeding Pug from a mill who was all personality. When it's time for a new trainee— she lets her current dog(s) pick for temperament. One difference with a therapy dog vs a service animal is that a therapy dog would eventually take orders from you whereas the service dog would be trained not to.

HB

• Hope5757
    Hope5757 Member Posts: 150
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

@allit -

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting a new thread that resonates with members!

Maybe the easiest way is to find a legitimate organization (legitimate is key) that trains and places emotional support dogs. With the general aging of the US population, I can definitely see these organizations interested in looking at early dementia and MCI as potential clients.

Please make sure the organization requires a return of the support dog rather than placement by you. Friends can change their minds and will if they encounter their own hardships.

Additionally, a well trained emotional support animal can be retrained for new clients or placed into an appropriate pet home that allows the dog to use its mind and body. They’re bred and selected to be engaged and sometimes don’t transition well to a sedentary life as a couch potato.

• allit

Hi MN Chickadee, you bring up some legitimately good points. My guess is, yes, a MCF will not let a person in the later stages of Alzheimer's have a service dog with them. The person definitely would not be able to give any commands to the animal and the staff definitely wouldn't be responsible for the dog. I am thinking, if it gets to the point where my wife is in a MCF, then the dog would essentially be my companion and would accompany me to visits to the facility. More of a therapy dog at that point.

• allit

Hi Hope5757, thanks so much for the welcome! We will definitely keep those points in mind when looking for an organization. I'm on other threads too where the members are very experienced with service dogs and we've been discussing how to find a legitimate organization. There's no guarantees in life as we all know. All we can do is the best we can.

• allit

Hi harshedbuzz, thanks for the response. That's definitely something for us to keep in mind and to discuss with the organization that we work with. What we are imagining may be something that doesn't yet exist or maybe it does exist and we just need to get plugged into the right resources. Whatever case it might be, this is the journey we are on and we'll see it through.

I'm also communicating with other people who are experienced the the service dog world. They asked if I knew about a program in the UK called the Dementia Dog Project. I've been checking out their info and am encouraged by the work they are doing. I'm curious to know what the group thinks about them. If you Google that, you can find them. Are we allowed to post links in the discussions? I can post a link if it's ok.

In the end though, yes, a therapy dog would probably be a good bet too. If a service dog doesn't work out then that will probably be the route we take.

• harshedbuzz

@allit

This scheme seems to have its roots in encouraging folks to consider in-home placement to reduce the cost burden on NHS and social service which fund the care of many.

The dogs are offered to couples when care takes place in-home rather than a facility. The site is pretty vague about what assistance the dogs actually provide with "fetching medication pouches" as the one example they offer. With the exception of a mobility challenged caregiver I cannot fathom a need for this. TBH, the notion of a dog bringing medications to someone who likely doesn't recall having taken their doses for the day (a very common issue) makes me question whether these folks have ever actually cared for a PWD in their lives.

Their site makes them sound more like what we would call a therapy or emotional support animal.

HB

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Wow! Your service to the animals is wonderful. It broke my heart to go into the shelter and see all of those dogs scared and wanting love. It sounds like you have both the experience and dedication to make the service dog work. I will you all the best.

• justbreathe2
    justbreathe2 Member Posts: 104
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Allit, my DH was diagnosed at 76 but he was having some memory issues and personality changes for about 8 years now. The overfeeding started before he was diagnosed. Glad you are thinking ahead with overfeeding issues. We love our dog and he is good, but it is so stressful for me at meal times. Good luck with your search for a training dog.

• allit

Hi harshedbuzz, yes, I did consider that having a service dog could help my wife be able to live longer at home. And some of the info we've been reviewing mentions tasks such as bringing meds to a patient to remind them to take them. In the early/mid stages of Alzheimer's, I imagine this could be helpful. I can tell you we are very creative people and we make use our curiosity to explore options that we think would be helpful for us. If, upon consulting with service dogs organizations, we determine that a service dog is not quite the right choice, then we will pivot to therapy dog/emotional support animal path. For now, we are exploring all the options for service dog. Thank you for your comments.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more