Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Incontinence issues

Abby1567
Abby1567 Member Posts: 22
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

My DH has had incontinence issues in the last couple of months. He soiled his pants twice. Today he was outside working in the yard and suddenly said, “I pooped”. I was shocked. Both of the other times we were walking out in the woods and he couldn’t make it home but he told me he had to go. This time he didn’t even mention having to go. Is this the start for him or is it just a fluke? He has had issues recently with constipationnand I wonder if that could have something to do with it? I thought incontinence started with the bladder first? I really am trying to accept each stage as it comes along but this is the one I dread the most. He still can take care of his day to day needs…..brushes his teeth, daily showers, exercise, sleeps well and gets up to use the bathroom when necessary. It seems like this is too soon. Does anybody have any insight? Thank you so much.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Have there been any medication changes that could be contributing? I'd look at all of his drugs very carefully.

• Abby1567

No medication issues. The only unusual thing was constipation and that seems to be better lately.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Read about overflow bowel incontinence and constipation. This might be what is happening.

Iris

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Bladder problems usually start first, but not always. My wife had occasional bowel incontinence, once or twice a month, for a year before she started having bladder issues.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

My LO started bladder incontinence about three weeks ago. Thank goodness he never opposed depend type underwear. I learned to look down as I walk in his room in the morning as I found out by stepping in a puddle of urine that he sometimes pees on the floor overnight. Just glad I have wood floors! During the day he uses the toilet but more often than not misses the toilet bowl. I too dread bowel incontinence and just pray it happens later than sooner.

Just when I/we get used to a kind of routine and what to expect, another sign of progression emerges. We are constantly having to adapt to our new reality.

• Abby1567

Caro Lynn, You’re so right! Just when I think I “have this” something else rears it’s ugly head. As hard as it all is, it could be so much worse. My DH is so gentle, kind, and accepting. He said he’s fine with depends. In fact, he”s “fine” with everything. He’s easy to love and care for. There are so many that aren’t as fortunate. It just goes to show that there’s always something to be thankful for. I’m in it for the long haul!

• jgosney
    jgosney Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited July 27
  • Carmen M
    Carmen M Member Posts: 30
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

My LO has had incontinence issues for over a year now. It is mostly pee and he does wear a depends. However, now when he says he has to go to the bathroom, I never know if its pee or poo so I always have him sit down. He has to turn and sit down, as I am pulling down his pants and depends. Sometimes he makes it in the bowl and sometimes it all over the bowl. It just life now for me. Thank goodness I always attempt to have him poo before we go out so then I know I am safe for a moment.

Best of luck

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney