Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Things are a little less terrible

My DH is on his second Geri psych hospitalization this month at a facility about an hour away. I’ve been trying to get him help for his agitation and aggression, as well as for his anxiety and depression. Thanks to all of you on this forum who’ve provided support and great suggestions for our situation.

The APRN is trying Risperidone for his more pressing issues (agitation/aggression). The Risperidone seems to be helping keep him calm, so fingers crossed that will work.

I’ve been trying to find a geriatric psychiatrist to help him with his other issues on an outpatient basis, because the unit he’s on only handles acute issues. He’s still horribly anxious and delusional, and the nurses have me speak with him daily to talk him down. Tonight when I spoke to him, he was very relieved because he thought he had killed me. This misplaced guilt, unfortunately, is not uncommon for him.

Anyway, easy23 told me about her experience with getting a geriatric psychiatrist who only does telehealth, and after striking out with the many doctors who aren’t accepting new patients, I was able to find a telehealth doctor. The social worker at my husband’s unit will be working with this doctor to coordinate his meds when my DH goes back to his memory care. So thanks very much for that suggestion, easy23!

Am still unsure how my DH will be and what unresolved issues he will have when he’s released from the Geri psych unit, but now I have a resource to help him in the future.

Comments

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney