Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Osteoporosis Treatments?

Gthoma
Gthoma Member Posts: 33
Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Anyone have experience with osteoporosis treatments (pill vs shot vs IV) for women with dementia? Wondering what experience you had, how well they tolerated treatment, etc. I’m not asking about the side effects. Rather, for example, if you did the IV was it a big deal doing the prep, sitting still long enough for the infusion, etc.?

Has anyone decided to pass on treatment for osteoporosis? If so, why?

Thanks.

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,402
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I can’t speak to the dementia or the IV… but I take a monthly tablet myself. All you would have to do is make sure she takes it first thing in the morning, doesn’t eat or drink anything but water for an hour and that she sits or stands for that hour.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My Dr wants me to take a pill for osteoporosis. I read many reviews and was very nervous about taking these meds. I asked my dentist last week if he had any patients that had problems with their jaw bones and loose teeth due to their osteoporosis medications. He told me in the 15 years that he’s been practicing, he has only had 3 patients with jaw bone problems due to the meds and all three were on the IVs. He suggested that I stay away from the IVs. But, he said the risk for any side effects from the pills is very very low.
    I know you weren’t asking about side effects, but I couldn’t help but share what I just learned.
    I think the easiest med for someone with dementia would be the pills.
    Osteoporosis can be very painful if fractures occur, so I think I would give a LO the meds. How awful that pain would be in the late stages of Alzheimer’s.
    I’m interested in hearing the advice from others.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Even the pills (Fosamax, Actonel, Boniva) are not benign. They can have serious heartburn and generalized joint pain as side effects- could your loved one with dementia recognize and report those? The generalized joint pain is also a side effect of the subcutaneous (Forteo Evenity) and IV meds (Reclast, Prolia),and the IV meds also carry a significant risk of cardiac arrhythmias (atrial fibrillation). Evenity carries other vascular risks. All of them also require additional daily supplements with calcium and vitamin D to be effective.

It would depend on the stage of dementia, but i wouldn't do it in stage 4 or more advanced.

• Gthoma
    Gthoma Member Posts: 33
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you.

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

All I can do is recommend you read as much as possible about osteoporosis, how it’s diagnosed + treatment side effects. Meds were recommended to me 12 years ago + I declined, after research. I stay active, do PT for improving balance, stretch, weights, etc

I refuse to take more bone density tests since I will not take meds in any case.

• HollyBerry
    HollyBerry Member Posts: 175
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I love this group! My partner recently broke her wrist and as a result of the bone scan, we now have an upcoming appointment to talk about osteoporosis. Her mother had it, seriously badly, and did not tolerate the meds 15 years ago. I'm hoping the latest generation of meds is better tolerated and had some of these same questions about what's the best approach. I'm trying to learn as much as I can up front and go in with an open mind. Thanks for sharing your experience!

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,402
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

@HollyBerry . As I said above, taking the generic Boniva monthly is really simple. I’ve been taking it for over 2 years. I haven’t noticed any side effects. Just annoyance at having to delay my coffee. I suffered two back compressed fractures in 3 months, which led to the bone scan and the diagnosis. It was very clear that I had it.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I took the Reclast IV 3 years in a row with only a slight improvement in my bone scan. I have had a back fracture so I was hoping it would help. I haven't had any side effects but given it did help much, I probably wouldn't do it again. The IV is for people with sensitive stomachs and GERD.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more