Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

As caregivers what do we do with all those feelings.....

Belle60
Belle60 Member Posts: 46
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

As I look forward to going to work this morning after a long weekend with DH, I feel guilty leaving him home. But at the same time relieved I am leaving to go to work. DH is still able to be by himself for periods of time and between a combination of home health and my ability to telework he is taken care of. I have to go into work some days. But I still feel guilty and relieved at the same time.

This weekend the driving issue came up again. After an all day temper tantrum, yelling, and throwing things and blaming me for his inability to drive he finally settled down and did not have any memory of it the next day. But I did! and it stuck with me for two days. I had a mixture of anger and sadness at him knowing full well he is not responsible for his behavior with this disease but the feelings are still there. This isn't a normal marital spat where you can kiss and makeup and feel ok about it. This is different. We have to stuff our feelings We have no outlet. No resolution. It is frustrating and incredibly sad.

I am not mad at him. I'm just mad.

Comments

• Belle60

Thanks! I think a therapist is a good idea. I have thought about for a while just havent looked into it seriously.

• Belle60

We have to hang in there. They don't have anyone else.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Belle60, I am with you. I am pretty much raging inside most of the day. I am not mad at him but the disease. When someone figures out the magic way to get over the feelings of unfairness, loneliness, injustice of spending your days watching your DH sleep and taking care of his every need without any relief, I hope they tell us.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Pat said, “Not taking the accusations/situaions personally is part of it. And remembering this little phrase also helps me - “My feelings are real but they might not be reality.” Yup, I feel like he is doing such and such to make me miserable. I validate my feelings and then ask myself if those feelings reflect reality. Sometimes they do but, with this disease, oftentimes my feelings don’t reflect reality. I feel he is walking slowly to make me have to wait for him. Nope, he just can’t walk well anymore.”

Boy, is that ever true! I often take some of the annoying things he does personally and become angry and exasperated. Like when he gets up and walks to the back door and unsets the door locks, only to stay outside for two minutes because it’s so hot out there. But he does it over and over again and I have to follow to make sure he doesn’t fall. He doesn’t remember that I told him 2 minutes ago not to do that. He is barely verbal anymore. But I know it’s good for him to get up and walk, even if that short distance. But it drives me crazy and I get mad because I’m tired and would like him to be able to just sit and talk to me. Or let me take him for a ride in the car like we used to. Or go for a walk somewhere else, but he’s too unsteady to go much further. Then, I’m so angry with myself for getting angry with him. Pat, you put it perfectly. Thank you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more