Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How do we know the best next steps

tryingtodurvive
tryingtodurvive Member Posts: 48
100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I’ve reached a point where I’m withering under the strain of my DH’s disease. He’s in stage 6 Alzheimer’s and has PPA. He can do nothing for himself. I bathe him, shave him, pick out clothes and help him put them on correctly, cut up his food and feed him, make sure he has water and takes his medicine which he doesn’t even understand the concept of swallowing a pill. Every minute of every day is spent trying to keep him peaceful and happy. I’m wore out. I’ve visited a day care facility and even a memory care facility but when I see the people there they don’t look like my DH. I can’t imagine putting him in that environment but I’m growing so weary in my journey. He’s not incontinent yet but he leaves his poopy toilet paper on the floor instead of in the toilet. He thinks we’re in a hotel one minute and the next he’s obsessed that the neighbors are doing things on his property. He’s still so sweet most of the time but follows me 24/7. I’m still working and I have wonderful friends who come and give me a break one or 2 days a week but I come home to 100 questions. Well you get the picture. I’m very faithful and lean on God every minute of every day. How do you know when it’s time for something else.

Comments

• tryingtodurvive
    tryingtodurvive Member Posts: 48
    100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks for your reply. He is never left alone he can’t be. I mostly work from home but 1 or 2 days a week when someone can stay with him. I so admire you and feel so weak that I might even consider another option. When this journey began I swore I’d never do anything but. Bless you for being such a loving caregiver. What if I can’t?

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Not everyone can be a caregiver until the bitter end. We all have different abilities and skillsets. Some of us are limited by our own illnesses and aging. But, we are all doing the best we can for our spouses. You have obviously done a great job thus far and will continue to do so regardless of whether you place your DH or continue to provide care at home.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

You're reaching burn out. Perhaps consider getting in-home help or visit more memory care facilities to find one more suitable. If you go down, the whole ship goes down. After placing DH in MCF last year, I am so glad I did it when I could.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more