Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Significant Decline

Denise1847
Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

In the past month, my DH has shockingly decline - confused most of the time, getting up at night and fully dressing, somedays not able to shower himself, fell once, lots of dozing during the day, language challenged and cannot follow a simple one-step request. I had a urine culture done yesterday and I am waiting for the results to rule out a UTI.

Has anyone else seen a rapid decline like this? No meds changed.

Comments

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 440
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Hi Denise,

I am sorry you are seeing a rapid decline. If possible, please have your husband get a full check up, blood work, chest x-ray in addition to the urinalysis. Any type of infection, if present, could cause an issue. Is there any possibility he may have had a stroke? Always best to rule out medical causes. I do know with some types of dementia, there are rapid declines or "step downs". It does sound like something may be affecting him though.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Denise, my LO has not been able to shower or dress without my assistance for over a year. In the last month or so he is now incontinent, sleeps a lot, more unsteady walking, can't complete his thoughts, and it just breaks my heart. He's been on the same meds for about a year.

Prior to his most recent decline I used to wonder if it was the meds making him delusional, unbalanced, etc. However, with this latest progression, I concluded it is not the meds, it's just his brain deteriorating. We've ruled out UTI.

I think us caregivers suffer more just watching what was once a rational, intelligent LO become dependent on us. It breaks my heart but I do the best I can and what needs to be done. I am thankful that my LO is easy to care for in that he allows me to shower him regularly and rarely gives me a difficult time with anything - literally like a child.

I'm right there with you Denise; just wanted to share my experience xo

• Crkddy
    Crkddy Member Posts: 84
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

My DW went thru a "step change" last year with declines including full incontinence, inability to feed herself, and frequent falls over about a two month period. Every case is different, but it could just be progression. You certainly want to rule out any health issues. Earlier this year DW went from sleeping about 12 hours a day to 20+ hours a day over the course of a few months. Turns out she did have a UTI.

• Denise1847
    edited July 6

Thank you. He is going to the doctor's next week. I see no evidence of stroke. However, The culture did come back with elevated white blood cells but the culture showed no bacteria. I haven't heard from the doctor so I am just waiting. I am not a medical person so I don't know what this could indicate.

• Denise1847

Thank you. It is shocking for sure. Although I don't know why I am not surprised. You are right, they are like our children now and so vulnerable. This has to be one of the worst diseases. I am sorry that you have been at this for so long.

• Denise1847

Thank you. I am so sorry for what you are experiencing. It is such a difficult journey. The culture did come back with elevated white blood cells but the culture showed no bacteria. I haven't heard from the doctor so I am just waiting. I suspect that this is just progression but I have to make sure.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more