Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need a hug today

SDianeL
SDianeL Member Posts: 878
500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH is in Memory Care since January. I have been going thru chemo & had surgery 4/25. I'm just now getting where I can drive & go visit him on my own. They had to medicate him due to agitation & aggression. The last 3x I visited him he slept except to wake up to eat, then went right back to sleep. The doctor is gradually decreasing his meds to find a happy medium. The facility sent out a message last week that said they had COVID in the facility in another wing. My daughter said I should not go visit because of my weak immune system. I am so sad and miss him so much it hurts. I want to go get him and bring him home but I moved in with my daughter & we no longer have a home. I also know I'm not able to care for him with him being medicated & incontinent & wheelchair or bedridden. I'm 76. Also, I will also have to be monitored closely for 5 years for the cancer. He is being well cared for but I'm having a real hard time mentally lately. I have no life, no purpose. I know I must create a life without him. I do have supportive children, grandchildren & great grandchildren but it's not the same. It's heartbreaking. I just needed a hug today. 😪

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,672
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

(((SDianeL))) I think about you from time to time. Always nice to see a post from you.

Keep an eye out for something maybe that you could volunteer at, or a class where you can learn something new. I’m just thinking that maybe if you could find something to look forward to that it might be therapeutic for you mentally. It won’t take away your losses, but maybe it would still comfort you and give some purpose.

• Belle
    Belle Member Posts: 117
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

@SDianeL sending you a virtual (((Hug))). You are grieving and experiencing many losses all at once. Allow yourself the time to heal and grieve. You will find purpose again but in the meantime be gentle with yourself. I hope the COVID spike at your DH's facility blows over so you can visit him again soon.

• MariaDean
    MariaDean Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    > @SDianeL said:
    > My DH is in Memory Care since January. I have been going thru chemo & had surgery 4/25. I'm just now getting where I can drive & go visit him on my own. They had to medicate him due to agitation & aggression. The last 3x I visited him he slept except to wake up to eat, then went right back to sleep. The doctor is gradually decreasing his meds to find a happy medium. The facility sent out a message last week that said they had COVID in the facility in another wing. My daughter said I should not go visit because of my weak immune system. I am so sad and miss him so much it hurts. I want to go get him and bring him home but I moved in with my daughter & we no longer have a home. I also know I'm not able to care for him with him being medicated & incontinent & wheelchair or bedridden. I'm 76. Also, I will also have to be monitored closely for 5 years for the cancer. He is being well cared for but I'm having a real hard time mentally lately. I have no life, no purpose. I know I must create a life without him. I do have supportive children, grandchildren & great grandchildren but it's not the same. It's heartbreaking. I just needed a hug today. 😪

I am so sorry. I am grieving my former life with my 20 years with my fiancé. I miss him and the things we use to do together whether it was going for a drive, dinner, doing things around the house or watching TV together. We no longer can live together due to his condition. I could no longer take care of him myself. It's a long story but I know what you mean trying to make meaning out of life again. I am happy you have a supportive family - many hugs your way :)
  • Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Sending hugs, too. My local library has book clubs and movie nights. Maybe you can find something similar near your new home. But I get it. It's hard. And you've been through a lot. Be gentle with yourself.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Sending good thoughts to you. And courage. Covid is not gone, there's an uptick in a lot of places…could you visit if you wear a mask? Hard to go back to that i know.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

((((HUGS)))) and then some… Take care of yourself first and foremost!

• Sunnyside42
    Sunnyside42 Member Posts: 42
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so sorry for all you are going through. Life just can throw so many curve balls. I especially resonate with your situation as my DH was diagnosed in 2021 and in many ways doing okay at home. I am his anchor, but last week during a colonoscopy they found I had a mass and will require surgery. Right now I am waiting for pathology report from doctor and result of my CT scan. Not sure what lies ahead but I so identify with you and wish you only the best.

• Crkddy
    Crkddy Member Posts: 84
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Know that you are not alone. You have many supporters here. Sending a big hug for you.

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 358
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

I’m so sorry. I’m sure you are a huge part of your extended family and really important to them, even if you feel you have lost your identity as a wife, as someone who had her own home, etc. You have been a great support and source of wisdom here. Sending you hugs.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 440
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

You are in my thoughts SDianeL. Try to hang in there.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

((((HUGS)))) So sorry this is so hard to adjust to. I do think you are a strong person and I admire what you have accomplished since your husbands diagnosis . (((HUGS)))

• Victoriaredux
    Victoriaredux Member Posts: 62
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Sending you warm thoughts .

"I have no life, no purpose." —- while you didn't plan these changes , you have a new life & purpose =motivation.

I never expected the changes in my life , I thought it was pretty much wrapped up as it was , a tiny lousy ending , but I have new chapters , new adventures — without the rigidity of childhood, early career , finding a partner, pleasing a boss — the pain won't stop- hopefully soften into warm memories but there are new tomorrows - just different than planned.

"Meanwhile I ain't wastin' time no more
    'Cause time goes by like pourin' rain and much faster things

You don't need no gypsy to tell you why
    You can't let one precious day slip by"

all rights reserved by copyright holder(s)

• elainechem
    elainechem Member Posts: 153
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

(((Hugs))) dear one!🫂

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Sending hugs to you. I don't know if this thought will help but I am going to throw it out there. When I get to a place where I am raging or extremely sad, mourning my previous life etc., I lean on my faith and truly believe that God doesn't make these bad things happen. He turns it for good in His own time. This gives me hope that one day I will feel joy again.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

(((@SDianeL)))

Sending you all the non-creepy internet hugs and hair pats, too.

You have been through so much, caught in a spiral of loss and adjustments. I wonder if some short term counseling might help you process all that has happened to you in so short a period of time. Meds might be useful for a short time as well. I suspect many here take something to help them cope and function better.

Speaking of meds, are you a candidate for Pemgarda? It’s an infused medication which can boost immunity in those who are immune compromised or deficient. It’s not the easiest med to find, but it’s becoming more readily available.

Would it be possible where you are, for you and DH to have a visit outside on a shaded patio?

HB

https://invivyd.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/Pemgarda-Patient-Fact-Sheet.pdf

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Diane, I prayed for you and your DH today. Each of us have different experiences. I am walking through cancer myself and can identify with the emotional challenges of trying to work through serious personal health issues while trying to be a spouse and caregiver. It's not easy. Especially with so many changes coming so rapidly. Give your self permission to grieve. And know that you are loved and valued. I too send virtual hugs.

Tom

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I'm adding my hugs ((HUGS)) as well, @SDianeL . I, too, feel the pain of not knowing what to do next now that DH is in MC (and actually seems happier than before). Please remember that despite the pain of your DH not being there, the two of you have loved each other and sent that love out to echo through your children and family members. Adding love to this world is a powerful thing. Forgive yourself for being "at sea" for a while. Be gentle and try to manage expectations as well as you can.

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m so sorry for all the pain you’re going through. It’s such a dark and lonely path. Too many things on your plate right now, so naturally your mental state is in disarray. But please know you do have a purpose. You have so much wisdom, guidance and love to pass on to your grandchildren. You are an inspiration even though you may not feel like it . So many hugs coming your way.💜

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 8

(((SDianeL))) More hugs from me! You are such a valued and caring voice in this group, I can just imagine how beloved you are across those generations you described in your family. What a legacy you and your DH have created. I can relate to your feeling lost right now. We really are a bit in limbo, treading water much of the time and just when you think you might get a break, whoosh — here comes another big wave.

Try to float right now. Just breathe in and out. Repeat. My mom used to say "this too, shall pass". We know that for sure. Can't know exactly what the outcome will be or exactly when, but we know that a change will come. As you can see, so many of your forum mates here are pulling for you. I hope you can see your DH soon.

Is there a window or courtyard where you could maybe visit him without being in COVID-exposure risk? I recall people visiting MCs that way at the height of the pandemic. Once he is a little more cognizant that is. Could one of the staff set up a Zoom or FaceTime with him when he's most alert? Remember, you are not doing any of this to him. The disease is doing what it does and thank goodness at least there was a safe place for him so you also could get the urgent attention you needed.

Ending this note with another big virtual hug!

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Sending virtual hugs your way! I'm sorry I'm so late.

I don't have anything additional to add so I'll echo what ButterflyWings said — it might be good to check in with your husband's memory care facility and see if they do window visits, or zoom/facetime visits. This way the two of you can visit, but your health is protected.

Staff at my sister's memory care facility always had a number of iPads charging up in the office so that residents/family could zoom or facetime. At the height of lockdown they had window visits, which was family and friends sitting outside of the window, and Peggy on the inside. We talked by phone, but she could see us.

I hope you get to see each other soon.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Sending big hugs to you Diane. I’m glad your cancer treatments are over. I hope They get DH’s meds straightened out soon so your visits are better.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more