Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Repeated falls

CatladyNW
CatladyNW Member Posts: 23
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary

My DH has now been in AL for two years, with Parkinson’s disease that has caused severe physical disability and advancing dementia. He is in a wheelchair, and needs assists with all his ADL’s. He is supposed to call for help with all transfers but he does not recognize that he is disabled, which I have learned here anosognosia. We have put a chair alarm in his wheelchair and he has a bed alarm as well but he just pulls the wires out of them or ignores them, and ends up falling when he gets up out of the chair or his bed. Last night, he ended up in the ER (not for the first time) with facial lacerations and a broken nose. Today, he fell four times. The facility seems to be trying to do all they can; the door of his room is kept open so that they can check him frequently, and the caregivers have been uniformly kind and genuinely concerned. I am worried that the facility will ask me to move him, and I don’t know where I could place him given this issue. Our state requires that I be notified with each fall, and every week, I get several calls in the middle of the night. I live with a perpetual knot in my stomach, knowing that the next fall could be a fatal head injury. Has anyone here dealt with this situation? Are there any suggestions of how to cope with it?

Comments

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW kept falling out of bed at MC so I bought a crash mat to put beside her bed. It's saved her already. She has fallen twice from a standing position at MC. She has osteoporosis so even small falls can be serious. She is in a wheelchair most days now but not always. She can't walk or stand without assistance but the staff always help her don't let her walk unassisted, to my knowledge anyway.

• CatladyNW
    CatladyNW Member Posts: 23
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary

Thanks, gh. I never knew there was such a thing, and I will check it out on Amazon. It will help for falls from the bed, but he also attempts the bathroom himself and falls there. Maybe I could cover the whole floor in mats, lol. Not funny, but I am at my wits end. The facility nursing supervisor called this afternoon to tell me that they can’t “keep him safe“. She wants me to get an aide to sit with him 24/7, which I most certainly cannot afford considering I am paying the AL facility over $8000 a month. I know that they can’t keep him safe and neither will an aide, because the minute she turns her back he is going to get up out of his wheelchair and attempt to walk because he thinks he can. Sadly, there is no “safe” for him at this point.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 351
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

@CatladyNW

Check with the facility before investing in mats. Many do not allow them as they are considered a tripping hazard for staff. Wish I had a viable alternative suggestion for you.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

You might set up an appointment with the facility to discuss what "safe" means to them and why. Is there a regulatory requirement that, if not met, will result in fines or closure? Are they concerned about getting sued? What other options do they see, remembering that moving to another facility isn't a change—what do they think another facility could do differently besides reducing their liability?

• ronda b
    ronda b Member Posts: 78
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

The Mc can move his room closer to nurses station so he is observed more. They also can but one side of his bed against the wall. That way there is only one way to get out. Put him in a low bed, to keep him from falling out of bed. Take him to the bathroom every 2 hours.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Catlady, a 24/7 caregiver would cost more than the cost of the MC.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more