Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hygiene issues because he hates being wet

annie51
annie51 Member Posts: 127
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

For a while, I could get my DH to shower every few days and he had no trouble doing so on his own. I just needed to remind him to use soap and shampoo. A few months ago, he just absolutely refused to go into the shower. He said he didn't need that anymore, it was too small, stuff like that. So I bought some microfiber washcloths, no-rinse soap and no-rinse shampoo. He HATES being wet (says it's cold) so I get the water very warm and try to get some parts washed when he's in a good mood but it's really getting harder and harder. He is not cooperative and leaves the bathroom in a huff before I can get very far. I have the towel right there ready to give him after I wash each arm or leg, but he just gets angry. He's itchy a lot and his skin is getting flaky on his arms and legs (which usually prompts me to try to wash them). He still shaves (with help) so his face gets cleaned and I can get him to use deodorant. I'm just stuck as to what to do to keep him clean without it being a fight.

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Moisturizer is important. Cream or lotion. You don't need water for the no-rinse items. Some are 3-in-1 foam, thus do not feel wet on DH's skin. If you use the wipes and then a lotion or cream, you can keep him pretty clean and fresh with no odor or skin breakdown. Take it from one who knows. DH has not had a shower or bath for years except 1 fluke when I got him onto the shower chair by accident and hurriedly took advantage.

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Thank you! I don’t know why I thought the no rinse soap needed water. I was putting it on a wet washcloth. I’ll try without it and see how that works.

• Shelly / Texas
    Shelly / Texas Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I have similar struggles with my DH, always a battle on shower day. These tips help:

I heat the bathroom with a space heater, have the water warm, and work as fast as possible. I use wipes in between showers. He cannot skip showers altogether , but when he is in a good mood and has the energy, I take advantage. He puts up a fight every time but he sure feels (and smells) good afterward! Good luck!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more