Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Can't go on like this

Buggytoo
Buggytoo Member Posts: 73
25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

So today my husband said "f you" to me while we were in the check out line at the grocery. Everyone in earshot heard. How humiliating. I can add grocery shopping to the list of activities we can no longer do together. And he can't be left alone, so. . .

Comments

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Sorry that happened to you Buggy; I haven't been able to go to any stores with my LO for a while now. Not because he uses abusive language but because of his unsteady gait and he tires easily; what would take me 20 minutes takes almost an hour.

I only do curbside pickup at the grocery stores, and Instacart and Doordash are my best friends. He's sleeping more lately so when I get up early enough, I can make a quick trip to the grocery store. I have cameras throughout the house including his room so I can watch him on my phone. It's difficult not being able to leave them alone so we find ways to adjust xo

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

caro Lynn and Buggy, the time came when Charles and I couldn't go to restaurants but drive thrus worked for us. He loved to go shopping with me. He read labels so left the cart with him and brought things back to it. When we went through the check out he would take things out of the sack and put them either in the cart or back on the conveyer belt. No problem, we dealt with it. I did go into town a couple of Times early in the morning while he slept but decided I might not be able to get back in time so stopped that. All of this was before shipping and grocery pickup.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

my sweet husband called me a b**ch. I cried. It’s the disease. We stopped going to the store because he kept wandering off. We stopped going out to eat because he couldn’t read the menu or decide what he wanted to eat. I called the new behaviors “gut punches” as they came along. So sorry.

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

@Buggytoo , I am so sorry this happened to you. Is your DH on medications for his aggressive speech? Mine was already on citalopram, an antidepressant. But in May we had to add an antipsychotic to the mix to tamp down his anger and aggressive speech. Probably worth a call to his doctor if he is not. It has helped us. I can’t say the anger has disappeared, it it is definitely more manageable.

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

so sorry this has happened to you all. I fear my turn is coming not too far down the road. Hang in there.

• Buggytoo

Thanks to all of you for sharing your kindness and experiences. This is the place where you learn you aren't the only one facing the unthinkable!

• Bailey's Mom
    Bailey's Mom Member Posts: 39
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Buggytoo,

I can totally relate to being berated constantly…My DH, who has early stage alzheimer's…does it non stop. Come to think of it, he always has only to a lesser degreee. I feel like one of those blow up clowns we used to have where you would stand on their feet and punch them! I am about at my breaking point as well.

I am an artist, and have just about had to give up painting…unless I paint in the middle of the night when I'm totally exhausted. He sees it as completely selfish because I close myself in my studio (which I only do for about an hour now) and do it alone and resents that I have something that fulfills me and he has nothing. I used to be a musician, but had to give that up because he couldn't tolerate the time I spent on it. On & on.

I just wonder if I like him enough anymore to sacrifice the remainder of life to care for him. I doubt that he would do it for me.

We have no children and no close family or friends (I have some but am not able to spend time with them), so I am it for him.

Sorry for the rant…just wanted you to know that you are not alone.

• Buggytoo

So very hard! I am sorry you are facing such difficulties. I hate this for all of us!

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I haven't done it, because my DW has never enjoyed gummies, but like ghostkasper, we have a friend whose DW with dementia responds well to CBD gummies. They mellow her out considerably. I'm not sure how to find out which type of CBD might work the best.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more