Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

If I had only known

White Crane
White Crane Member Posts: 848
Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

If I had only known when we went to bed on January 18th that that was the last night we would ever sleep in the same bed, I would have cuddled up as close to him as I could and held him close. Instead, I slept on my side of the bed and he slept on his. Oh we said , "I love you" like always but if I had known, I would have said so much more…at least I think I would have. Maybe I would have just laid there and cried. The next day he didn't feel well and ended up ln the hospital with pneumonia and never came back home. He was too weak and the doctor said I could no longer take care of him at home. He went straight to memory care from the hospital. It's been six months and you would think the grief and loneliness would have lessened by now but they seem to be getting worse. Maybe it's because I signed a contract to sell our home of 52 years. So much has happened in the last six months that at times I haven't had time to think. I downsized to a much smaller house and have been working on spending down our life savings so he can qualify for Medicaid. My new house has needed a lot of work…painting, new carpet, new plumbing, a bathroom remodel. Now it is finally finished and looks lovely but I feel so lonely inside. And the grief is so intense sometimes it is like a physical ache. I went to the grocery store today and felt close to tears as I picked out one of this and one of that. I used to buy things he liked. Now I just walk around looking for something to cook for myself. This is such a lonely time for me.

Brenda

Comments

• White Crane

Thank you, M. I think you’re right, it hits in waves. You hang in too.

• Karen711
    Karen711 Member Posts: 62
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

Brenda- this is so heartbreaking I have no words that are sufficient. I hope you have good friends and family nearby. If you do, lean on them as much as possible! I’m sending you a hug!!
    xox Karen

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Brenda - I have so much empathy for you. I feel your loneliness and wish I could help. You've been dealing with so much change all while watching your husband slowly decline. It's a lot.

I have a very pragmatic question for you. Are you including a Medicaid compliant annuity in your spend-down? These allow you to turn excess assets into a "no cash value" income stream. If you're not using it, please discuss it with your CELA. This could really make a difference in preserving some funds for your future.

Be gentle with yourself.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so sorry Brenda. I will keep you and you DH in my prayers.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Brenda, it is truly heartbreaking. I pray that you may be comforted in your grief and loneliness.

@ghphotog I have been following your story, and I'm glad to read that you are focusing on moving forward. It is good to begin envisioning and creating the future we want to have. You and others here are an inspiration to me. Best wishes for the certification exam.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

xoxo

• White Crane

Joe, I’ve had the same thought about laying down beside my husband when he’s sleeping or spending the night with him. Like you said though, it probably won’t happen. I will look up the song. Thank you.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

We tried it once-a nap- and it made me so emotional i had to get up. Couldn't stand it, too hard, and i didn't want to upset her.

• White Crane

M1, I can only imagine. I think it would be very emotional for me too.

• Mimi50
    Mimi50 Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

That sounds like good idea. Focus on building your career. My husband is still at home with me. But I know that there will come time where. He will be in MC.

• annewilder
    annewilder Member Posts: 25
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

My DH is in skilled nursing now. I have actually thought of getting two hotel rooms. One for the two of us so that we can sleep together one more time and one for a caregiver who can help me with him. I don't know how reasonable this is, but lots of what you down you are living this crazy life doesn't make sense. Maybe I will do it. My best to you.

• Jazzma
    Jazzma Member Posts: 105
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I had a similar experience when my DH of 31 years woke up with chest pain and was diagnosed with pneumonia. He went to memory care from the hospital, and though I brought him home a few times it didn't work for very long. I 'nap' with him now (watch him sleep while I am perched against him on the side of the bed) and it's very comforting. After six months I still cry whenever I talk about him, when someone hugs me, and now as I'm writing this. I wish you the very best that this can be — which is not a lot, but it's what we get. Be kind to yourself. This rips us all in pieces.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more