Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Impatience

Petra2024
Petra2024 Member Posts: 39
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Feeling like a monster, I have no patience today. It’s a rare day with no appointments for DH or crucial business to take care of and I want to do literally nothing for at least a few hours. Feeling guilty and being snippy with DH’s forgetfulness. I want him to just go do his own thing but I know he sees my impatience and feels bad, hence my monster feeling. Just want to say that. I’ll get back to calm but right now my nerves are shot.

Comments

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

All caregivers experience this on some level because we are human beings. Hang in there and be kind to yourself.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh yeah. I get it. I've had those feeling like a monster moments. I really hate the feeling and also that I get impatient with my DW sometimes. I recover and not being too hard on myself helps that recovery.

Doing nothing for hours definitely helps too!

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

PWDs can't do their own thing. They can't initiate, and they can't follow through. This is dementia.

Iris

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

He shadows you because his world is falling apart and you are his anchor. No amount of asking him to go do his own thing will work. We know how you feel. Can you get someone to stay with him while you take a break?

• MKL725
    MKL725 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    > @Petra2024 said:
    > Feeling like a monster, I have no patience today. It’s a rare day with no appointments for DH or crucial business to take care of and I want to do literally nothing for at least a few hours. Feeling guilty and being snippy with DH’s forgetfulness. I want him to just go do his own thing but I know he sees my impatience and feels bad, hence my monster feeling. Just want to say that. I’ll get back to calm but right now my nerves are shot.

Been there, done that. What was funny was the next morning when I apologized to my husband who said, I don’t remember that! Then we both laughed as I pointed out that was one good thing about his memory loss! It felt good to laugh with him again.
  • chyron24
    chyron24 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    > @MKL725 said:
    > > @Petra2024 said:
    > > Feeling like a monster, I have no patience today. It’s a rare day with no appointments for DH or crucial business to take care of and I want to do literally nothing for at least a few hours. Feeling guilty and being snippy with DH’s forgetfulness. I want him to just go do his own thing but I know he sees my impatience and feels bad, hence my monster feeling. Just want to say that. I’ll get back to calm but right now my nerves are shot.
    >
    > Been there, done that. What was funny was the next morning when I apologized to my husband who said, I don’t remember that! Then we both laughed as I pointed out that was one good thing about his memory loss! It felt good to laugh with him again.

> @JC5 said:
    > I do get it! I have been so negative and short tempered with my husband for weeks now! Pee on the floor in the AM and poop smears on the toilet when I wake up at 4 AM to use the bathroom! I know it’s the beginning but I already feel I can’t/don’t want to handle it! Hes always been that No one else is more important than me person. Got better over the years but now worse than ever! All I do is cry everyday day and want to learn how to deal!

Feel same way. Sleepless and resentful. Every day a chore. Oh what to do to cope?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more