Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Running out of steam

my DH is in Alzheimer’s stage 6b according to the doctors. We’re about 7 years in and I’m questioning being able to proceed to the end of this journey. I feel so guilty and selfish when I read about all of you who are lovingly caring for your loved ones beyond where I am. I am 62 and still working full time. I can mostly work from home and have friends who will stay with him one or two days a week to allow me to get to the office. He can do nothing on his own. I bathe him dress him help him brush his teeth shave him etc. he has now started the process of not knowing who I am and wondering where the real me is. It’s a constant round and round conversation about who I am where I came from, etc. I’m physically and mentally exhausted. I wake at 4:00 am to have an hour or so of quiet time to read my Bible and pray. I’m starting to consider memory care but I worry it’s too early and I’m being selfish. Are there any of you out there who have made this decision at this point in the journey?

Comments

• Lkrielow99
    Lkrielow99 Member Posts: 57
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary

if he is unable to perform activities of daily living, IMO he is ready for either home health, MC, or a nursing home. That is where my line in the sand is drawn. I’m 10 yrs younger than my DH and he is stage 5. I’ve told his family stage 6 is the decision time. Wishing you the best. Please be kind to yourself. much love and hugs to you.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@tryingtodurvive

It sounds like it's past time.

HB

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I remember so clearly the conversations my DW and her sisters had about both of their parents who ended up with dementia. Both times, they struggled and talked about how hard it was to walk across that bridge to the decision they knew they needed to make. They felt such guilt and grief, but once they started saying it out loud, they started to admit that even having the conversation meant the time had come.

There will likely be a time for all of us to face that bridge. I don't look forward to making that call with my DW. I dream I could handle all of what you described, but like you, I'm younger (58) and really can't afford to stop working. It's also a lifeline for me to the "normal" world. Caregivers or MC placement will definitely be in my and her future.

It's more than ok to trust that voice inside of you. It knows the right answer, even if. you're not quite ready to accept it yet.

xoxo

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

If you are physically & mentally exhausted, it's time. You will still be his caregiver just in a different capacity. You can visit him and make sure he is being well cared for. Many facilities have Social Workers or support groups you can talk to if you feel guilty. I think your DH would want you to live your life to the fullest.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

I agree, it is past time. You cannot let this disease claim two victims.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Get your Plan B in place!

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

You are amazing that you have gone this long in the state your spouse is in. You have to work and sustain your life. Take care of yourself or the disease will claim you. I am retired and I know that I will not be able to go the distance keeping my DH at home.

• tryingtodurvive
    tryingtodurvive Member Posts: 48
    100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

• 549jb
    549jb Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

It's a difficult decision to place your LO in Assisted Living. I recently made it, for the reasons many have listed above. If you can't leave your LO alone because you are worried for their safety then it's time. There are many good places to choose from. It does take time to finally get them in. Often there are wait lists. Start the process as soon as you can. You will get your life back (sort of) and it takes time to settle into the new routine. It's a better life for my LO because he has so many activities and much more stimulation than being with me. It's not easy but it's better and he is safe. All the best to you.

• Lee39
    Lee39 Member Posts: 6
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

I am just where you are (although 82 yo to your 62), 7 years in and just beginning to look at memory care for the same reasons. With your having a job I can’t imagine how you cope with caregiving too. 549jb’s statement that if you can’t leave your lo alone for their safety then it’s time for mc really makes sense to me. Just want to say you’re far from alone in wrestling with the mc decision and wish you the best.

• tryingtodurvive
    tryingtodurvive Member Posts: 48
    100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

just as an update I’ve made the final decision and am in the process of placing my DH Im sick and heartbroken and so dreading the process. He’s going to be so mad at me but he’s mad more and more anyway. At least when he starts getting mean now I can go home. Thank you all again for your words of advice and encouragement.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

please keep us posted, will be thinking of you.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 848
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Praying it goes well for both of you.

• TooEarly
    TooEarly Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Dear Trying,

You're not alone — much of your msg resonated with me. I'm a hair younger than you. DW was early-onset and now around stage 6c. She needs help showering but still dresses self (mostly). I'm not an early bird like you but a night owl so I stay up late sometimes to walk a basement treadmill just to get in a day's exercise. Sometimes I walk the neighborhood at 11 p.m.

I too am working (mostly from home) and managing all. Been handling it but recent signs have me worried (not recognizing her sister, almost never now remembering her brother's name) that the next step is coming much sooner than I have been thinking. Wondering if I've screwed up. Just making contact now with in-home caregiver candidates and MC.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more