Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New to forum and newly diagnosed spouse at 56

Hi all.

I'm not good at sharing, but finding this new life journey difficult. Not sure I should have pushed for this test as I wasn't really ready for the truth and outcome. My kids and I noticed the changes in my spouse over 7 years ago. I tried back then for doctors to figure out what was happening. Hit road block after road block with a comment of you're being overbearing and this is just normal aging. Yet when the doctor finally gave in, all tests came back positive for Alzheimer's. Now I realize we are still relatively early with this diagnosis st 56, but I feel we could have been even earlier if the doctor had listened to my concerns 7 years ago.

Doctors have said this is an inherited version and no amount of perfect eating and exercising would have prevented this. 😞

Nevertheless, we are now on this journey and I'm feeling lost, depressed and alone. I'm doing all the navigating of the medical system. I already have taken over making sure my spouse takes the meds morning and night. As well as make sure I schedule all personal things on several calendars so my spouse has this information to remind them.

Sorry, just having a day of feeling lost and very alone in this. Can only talk to the kids so much before they get depressed and I don't want to burden them any more than they are. So, here I am on a forum spilling to you all. Another new experience.….

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum, though i am so sorry you are facing this at such a young age. You are not alone, and you have come to a good place for advice and support.

early onset is likely to progress quickly. That means you need to get your ducks in a row quickly, and that your time for bucket list items is short. This may sound harsh, but if there's any upside, you can pray that his time of suffering will not be as prolonged as some (my partner is 83 and in her 12th symptomatic year).

Get legal and financial plans made as quickly as you can. For him this will likely mean SSDI application, and you should have powers of attorney. A certified elder law attorney can help, if you haven't done this already.

How old are your children? You have a lot on your plate. If you read a lot of threads here you will learn a ton.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome. So sorry about your husband’s diagnosis. We understand exactly how you feel. Unfortunately many PCPs don’t understand the disease. I had to ask my husband’s for a referral for testing. Please read the book “The 36 Hour Day” which helped after my husbands diagnosis. Make an appointment with an attorney and get a DPOA right away so you can handle finances and sign papers on his behalf. This forum has helped me so much. It’s where you can get support and ask for help. Learn all you can. Cherish each moment. Hugs.

• Karen711
    Karen711 Member Posts: 62
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

Hi Alzwife- I am new here also but already feel like I can welcome you here because so many others here have made me feel so welcome. Sorry for what you’re going through. My DW is what I consider early onset, though just diagnosed recently. She was around 57 when I first noticed symptoms. We’re 70 now. In the last year I’ve seen an acceleration of symptoms. Seems like everyday I get surprised or shocked by something new; though there are still some moments my DW and I can laugh like old times as though nothing’s been wrong (she has anosognosia). Other times my brain is smoking just to try and figure out what she’s trying to tell me, or freaking out because she takes the dog outside for a walk in our neighborhood without a collar and leash. You will find a lot of good information and a whole lot of support here!
    Hang In,

Karen

• Lgb35
    Lgb35 Member Posts: 93
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

I understand what you are going through. I am 54 and DH is 61. Are you both still working and how old are your kiddos? Our boys are in their mid twenties but we do have a 7 year old grandson that lives with us full time. We are both still working full time

• Crkddy
    Crkddy Member Posts: 84
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Alzwife 24, I'm so sorry you are on this journey. My DW was diagnosed with EO at age 55. As M1 said, progression may occur quicker than you expect with EO. With DW, by the end of the 1st year after diagnosis, she did not know anyone but me, could no longer sign her name, had no recollection of her own past, and was having difficulty finding words. Sleep soon became a problem as did agitation. I know this is difficult to face, but you must prepare yourself. Know that you are not alone, and you will find much needed support on this site. Start looking now at what caregiver support may be available to you, as you will need it. Don't be shy about reaching out for help. And perhaps most importantly, make sure that you place priority on taking care of yourself.

• orth
    orth Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

welcome. I am new to this also. My wife is 73 and I am 63. She has had signs of dementia for a couple years. In the last six months she has gotten much worse. Her hallucinations and sleepless nights thinking I was three other people was the reason we started going to a neurologist. The medications they put her brought her back to somewhat normal. Still has short term memory issues, but at least she knows me as her husband again. She doesn’t remember any of the confusion or hallucinations. We are just trying to enjoy every moment we can. The reality is that the meds will only mask the symptoms for an unknown time. I thank God every day for this forum. Everyone is so helpful and caring. No one else, including the doctors, seems to understand what we all are going through. Good luck and remember that all of us love you and understands.

• Alzwife_24
    Alzwife_24 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment 5 Care Reactions

Thank you all for your kind words. I am trying to read through all the posts on this site.

Our children are in their late thirties. So are grown and on their own.

We have started all the paperwork Financial and Medical POAs.

At this time both of us stull have full time + jobs. We wish we could retire, but health care costs are the sticking point.

My spouse has short periods where if they are frustrated due to a change to a plan last minute, they get irritated with me. I quickly try to defuse the situation or remove myself from the equation.

Luckily their work has provided them with an assistant. So that has removed some of the stress at their job. My spouse seems to still be able to mostly be able to handle the job at this time. (Thankfully)

We are in the process of changing neurologists. We have only had one set of tests so far and hoping for second set to know what's going on. I'm a planner, so this is majorly hard. Many changes in our world and I'm sure many many more to come.

Thank you all.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

One caution (I know this is like drinking from a firehose right now): the last thing you want is him to be fired for cause. He could lose any retirement benefits that way. Think long and hard about his taking short- then long-term diasability and applying for SSDI. There may be an expedited pathway for getting SSDI approved, and then he will be eligible for Medicare one year after SSDI approval, that will at least help with the medical expenses.

• Alzwife_24
    Alzwife_24 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment 5 Care Reactions

Spouses upper management knows about their condition. But will look further into this for sure! Thank you

• Dutiful One
    Dutiful One Member Posts: 46
    Legacy Membership 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi, Alzwife,

I'm sorry you have to be here, but glad you found a place to share your situation. My husband is a couple years older than yours, and I also began noticing symptoms several years ago. Hitting roadblocks is a familiar scenario. Just recently we got a diagnosis of MCI, and it took a traumatic event to get there. I really think he's farther along, but because he is high functioning and performs his own ADL's, it's difficult for some to see past that and into the lack of insight, questionable judgement, and apathy he experiences on a daily basis. We both still work full time as well, so I understand the concerns and decisions you are facing there. One thing to prepare for is the possibility of your spouse not being able to work. Even with our spouses being able to perform their jobs and with support provided, things could change with little or no warning. It might be a good idea to look into what avenue you will take if working is no longer possible.

Keep posting an updating. You're in good company here!

• Victoriaredux
    Victoriaredux Member Posts: 62
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

M1 I have looked , where is a flat "one year after SSDI approval" codified. I can't find a shorter than 2 year windows except for certain diseases non-dementia and this tap-dance :

https://www.patientadvocate.org/explore-our-resources/preserving-income-federal-benefits/qualifying-for-medicare-when-receiving-disability-benefits/

Thanks, 1 year seems possible but not certain and a bear to calculate.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more