Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Introducing myself.......

Hello everyone,

Like many others, I've been lurking on this site on and off for months. It has been both knowledgeable and comforting to have you all as a resource. Thank you. I no longer feel alone.

I am caretaker of my DH of almost 30 years. His symptoms have gotten progressively worse over the past 3 years. Same old story, in the beginning I just thought his behavior was due to loss of hearing, depression over the sudden death of his brother; anything but what I now know it is - dementia.

The sadness can be overwhelming because I miss what we once had. Some days I feel blessed that I get this long goodbye, other days I fear what the future brings.

I just ordered the book "The 36 Hour Day" and know I will continue to learn to navigate this disease. I appreciate this forum and each of you. ~ Shelly

Comments

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Welcome!

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Welcome. I hear you. I too miss what we once had and fear the future. For now, my DH can still make me laugh out loud. I treasure those moments.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Hi Shelly. This forum is like an outlet for me. I've learned and continue to learn so much from the many members that share their experiences and knowledge. Welcome xo

• Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited July 30

Welcome, Shelly! I'm sorry you have to be here but this is a great group and your participation is needed!

It is indeed a journey, and as they say, if you've seen one person with dementia, you've seen one person with dementia. Still, there are many common themes that play out even if the specific details are different. This forum has been the best source of information and support that I have found.

My DH was dx with MCI in August 2022, although behaviors started to show well before that. I spent considerable time in 2021 and 2022 trying to get DH to agree to be evaluated (anosognosia is a &%*#&). We've had an MRI, PETScan, MOCA and the like but the docs won't label him, yet. All the signs point to Alzheimer's. And indeed, it is the long goodbye.

BTW, I am from Central Texas!

• Shelly / Texas
    Shelly / Texas Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Hi Anna, I am also in central Texas. Hays county between Buda and Dripping Springs. Are you in the Austin area?

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

hi Shelly and welcome. My partner grew up in Weimar and never lost her Texas twang. These days it’s her fantasy that her mother is still there and she wants to go back. There is still a bumper sticker on our old beater truck declaring “don’t mess with Texas.” Biggest compliment she ever gave me was when she told me I could be an honorary Texan😉

• Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited August 3

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia