Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I cry every day. I don't know if I can go on like this. Too tired to seek help.

OhDear
OhDear Member Posts: 19
Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My DH is probably Stage 6. He gets agitated, angry, cursing at least a few times a day. Otherwise, he lies there watching TV. He wants to get out and then he doesn't. I'm taking care of him on my own. No kids or friends available nearby. I tried bringing in help but DH is very resistant and throws them out of the house. I should be stronger and more insistent myself but I was totally unprepared for this disease. I'm getting more and more tired, discouraged, depressed. This forum has helped so much but how do you keep going?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Terrible dilemma, but don’t let this disease take you down too. Talk to his doctors about medication to tamp down the irritability and aggression. Take him to the emergency room if you truly can’t care for him at home any longer, especially if he is physically threatening you. There is also a 24/7 helpline, 1-800-272-3900.

• OhDear

Thanks for the replies! We started Seroquel but he is refusing to take the pills. I've begun crushing them up and adding them to water but getting him to drink it!! Well, sometimes it works but not always. I'll call his doctor again. It's so disheartening to see this happen to such a dear, intelligent, caring person but also to know it's pulling us apart. One day at a time - I need to work on how to handle this emotionally to better protect myself.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

There are liquid formulations of Seroquel too, ask about iy. You might could hide it in chunky ice cream too-like chocolate chip or rocky road.

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 358
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Another idea might be mixing the liquid medicine in frosting (store bought cake frosting).

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH is now in memory care due to my cancer diagnosis. Read the book “The 36 Hour Day” which was recommended by a nurse. It really helped me. I got through each day by reminding myself that it was the disease talking and not my dear husband. I was angry at the disease not him. I told my husband that I needed help so I could go to my doctor appointments. He resisted at first but soon looked forward to her visit. Talk to his doctor about liquid meds. If you can’t get respite help maybe it’s time to look into a memory care facility. So sorry you are going through this alone. Take care of yourself.

• OhDear

I'll ask about the liquid and putting it in ice cream is a great idea. Thanks! Yes, I'll try to get help and look at MC facilities. I hope something works. All the suggestions and wishes are so welcome!

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

You are at the point where I was just before I placed DH. He, too, "didn't need a babysitter" and was angry and abusive (mostly verbally). Unfortunately, because of a pre-existing condition, some of the drugs mentioned above could not be used to help with his behavior. FWIW, I would start building a "just in case" file of acceptable MC facilities and maybe even get on the waitlist for some, if that's applicable in your area. Sometimes just preparing feels like a lot, but I sincerely believe you'll be glad you did.

• ronda b
    ronda b Member Posts: 76
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Put them in ice cream or pudding . Anything he'll eat.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 666
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I so understand where you are coming from. I was at my wits end for so long until I had no choice but to place my DW in MC. Expensive as hll and is sucking our retirement savings out faster than a prairie fire with a tailwind but it was that or I'd die trying to take care of her. It's so long and arduous this road.

• Judy.T.
    Judy.T. Member Posts: 44
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH has also started on Seroquel. I have found hiding it in a peanut butter & Jelly sandwich works the best. He loves PB&J So I just cut it in half and tuck it in the middle. Worth a try.

• Another day...
    Another day... Member Posts: 12
    5 Likes 5 Care Reactions First Comment
    I feel the same way. I may start spouse on medication too. I can't afford caregiver.
  • Another day...
    Another day... Member Posts: 12
    5 Likes 5 Care Reactions First Comment

I wish I had some suggestions. I plan to read more. I play old tv shows my husband saw as a child. Little house on the prairie, the waltons, …light hearted shows. His favorite music helps too. It calms him down.

• starwood
    starwood Member Posts: 9
    5 Care Reactions First Comment First Anniversary

I’m sorry you’re having to deal with this on your own. It is so hard, especially when the diseases manifests itself through anger and abuse. I see others have some practical suggestions for you to try and I hope some of them are helpful.

• tboard
    tboard Member Posts: 8
    Tenth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

I am in a similar situation. My plan this week it to see if we can get a change in his medication. Maybe something for anxiety. I have been trying to work but mostly cannot because of the sudden outbursts from DH, and because of lack of sleep. I try not to worry about money or about what not working and spending all of my time with someone who has mixed dementia is doing to my brain.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more