Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Understanding new sleep patterns

CStrope
CStrope Member Posts: 487
100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

DH has been in "Memory Care" for 4 months, and has progressed significantly in that time. I use quotes around Memory Care because I have never been so disappointed in our health care system and society overall as I am with where he is residing. Nothing I was told when moving him there has been done to make his stay appropriate for his needs……but that's a whole other discussion!

My question is this, what is going on when DH sleeps so deeply that nothing and nobody can wake him. Lately I arrive to find him asleep and I can't get him to wake up no matter what I do. Yesterday they told me he had pretty much been sleeping most of the day, and at 4:00 pm I could not wake him. I cut his toenails (which normally would invoke yelling and refusal), cut off his callouses, gave him a haircut, even gave him a shave! During all of this he never flinched even once! I was a bit freaked out since this wasn't the first time this had happened. The hospice nurse came and of course 4 minutes before they got there he suddenly woke up and was quite alert. I was able to get him to drink and eat and even watch some of the Olympics.

So what is going on that puts him in a whole different dimention of sleep, and what does it mean.

Comments

• Crkddy
    Crkddy Member Posts: 84
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

CStrope, of course every situation is unique. Could it be meds? For my DW, she had a very similar situation for several months. Turned out to be an undiagnosed UTI. Once she was treated, her sleep returned to normal and she was much more alert. Hope you find the answer.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Probably no one can answer your question—but my partner does this too. Also on hospice, she is sleeping most of the time (I don't know exactly now many hours). I'm sure it's a combination of the brain changes and medications, but I doubt that anyone can be more specific than that. i take minimum comfort in knowing that if she's asleep in bed she's not in distress and not falling.

I'd be interested in your thoughts and observations about how he's being cared for. New thread if you want?

• PS67
    PS67 Member Posts: 22
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

CStrope, firstly….what a devoted-fantastic wife you are to do all that personal care and grooming for your DH. You have my admiration. I’m sorry your DH isn’t getting the kind of care you expect. I’ve experienced that with close family, and it was painful. Here’s my thought: If you have a primary physician who would be willing to call the MC facility, I think he/she could get medical records, and, I think, all meds he’s being given. That might be informative about your DH. I have zero medical training, but think the more ideas we share with each other, the better for all. Wishing you luck, strength, and self-care.

• CStrope

He's had 3 UTIs back to back since 6/11. He just finished his last round of antibiotics on 8/5. Though the length of his zombie naps seems to have increased over the past week, his inability to be awoken has been going on for a while and he has had no med change. Sure wish there was a little brain map that explained all of these changes!

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 103
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

Got an upcoming visit with DW's gerripsych to talk about her recent bouts of zombie sleeps as well. No apparent health issues, in fact her physical health has improved very well since coming home out of MC, she's in late 6, I think tipping into 7?… but I'm fearful on what is going on and struggling for answers. She's fine for weeks then suddenly, a zombie for 24 hours and snaps right back.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

my DH in memory care is doing the same. He is on Risperidone and they added Depakote due to his aggression. He would wake to eat but lately he doesn’t. I tried to wake him for lunch today and couldn’t. They said he ate all his dinner last night and all his breakfast this morning. The nurse said they took him off the Depakote recently. They want to get him up into a wheelchair. I don’t know if it’s the meds or progression of the disease. In the last few months he seems to be more rapidly progressing. Totally incontinent and not communicating much and sleeping more. The nurse calls every time they change his meds so that’s good.

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

In the earlier stages, 3-5, my DH would exhibit signs of the next stage. I would be surprised and think "oh, that's gone." Then he'd bounce back. I also found that most of the time he was straddling two stages. I doubted myself about where he was actually at in the disease progression. What is being said here reminds me of this back and forth; sleeps a lot and then is back to being awake. The differences between stage 6 and 7 are more crystal clear as far as sleep goes.

• CStrope

I'll be very anxious to hear what you find out!! When he's doing poorly, and having zombie sleeps, I ask for him to be assessed to be moved to full nursing care. Then by the time they get out to his facility to do the assessment, he's snapped out of it and appears so good! Then they don't approve him for the move.

• CStrope
    edited August 9

@SDianeL Is his diagnosis Alz or FTD, or another form of dementia. Just curious if this is more prone to happen to those with FTD or if it is evident in a variety of dementia patients.

• CStrope

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    edited August 11

My DW has vascular dementia. She typically sleeps 10-11 hours overnight and then naps 1-2 hours in the afternoon. She has had multiple occasions over the past 6 months where she sleeps 18-20 hours in a 24 hour period. These episodes seem to precede declines in cognitive function. I dread it when it happens because I seem to lose a little more of her each time.

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 103
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

Sure thing, DW went down yesterday afternoon, woke up today shaking and like she was severely drunk, shaking, frightened, could barely stand, slurring. Managed to get her fluids and one boost shake before she passed right back out. This latest bout, I seem to feel, was somewhat stress-induced maybe. She's been struggling to get to sleep a few days prior to this, she was extremely tired, before her body just shut down yesterday afternoon. Perhaps she'll snap back as she did before. Skipped her morning anxiety meds this morning, just focusing on keeping fluids in her, changing her, watching her.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more