Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Packing up to go home

I just put my DH in memory care yesterday. This morning the nurse said he had everything packed up to go home. She said he didn’t sleep all night and wouldn’t even take his clothes off last night. Now he’s crying today saying he doesn’t understand why he had to be there. I’ve been told not to go visit for at least a week. Have any of you experienced this with your loved ones and did they get past it?

Comments

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 567
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

What you are describing is very very common. I dont think I have ever heard of a LO who did NOT acclimate. Follow the facility’s advice for now. When you do see him, have an explanation ready for him as to why he is there. Tell him whatever you expect he will believe….doctor is requiring it til ‘he is better’ and/or that there is work required at his home that prevents him going home…leak, furnace, air cond, fire, whatever +that you are working on getting it fixed.

My mother packed up every day for a couple months…ignore it. Dont unpack it for him, he will just do it again

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

my partner still occasionally packs up after two and a half years. It’s better than it used to be. Follow the staffs advice.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

While you're staying away for a while, it might be less stressful not to call and ask. There's not much we can do to help in any case.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    edited August 9

@tryingtodurvive

This is unusual at all.

Dad was too lazy by nature to pack, but he did struggle to adjust for a couple of weeks. He cycled through angry threats and pathetic promises to behave; I'm not sure which was worse. He did settle before the month was out which was sooner than I would have anticipated.

HB

ETA: My friend's mom did the packing thing too. She started when she was living in her own home and continued when they moved in together. Mom, then 93, wanted to move back in with her own parents.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Also, don't worry if he doesn't change clothes. My partner stays in the same clothes all the time, we try to get her in clean things once or twice a week. So everything she wears is soft, like sweatpants etc. that are fine to sleep in or be out and about (not much of that any more).

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My heart goes out to you…

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

My DH also tried to exit the facility (by pushing a chair up to an outside wall) but was observed and wouldn't have had the strength to climb out anyway. We were also told to avoid visits for a while and that worked for us. Have not heard of any further problems of this nature in the 3+ months he's been there. In fact, within weeks he would have long lists of things he wanted us to bring to MC for him. YMMV.

• LindaLouise
    LindaLouise Member Posts: 94
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

My DH first night in memory care, he determined the doors were stuck and they were all locked in - he decided they needed to pull the fire alarms because the fire fighters could get them out. He had no idea of where he wanted to go, just that they needed to get out. After that, he had occasional bursts of trying to leave, but it was nothing like it had been at home, where he was constantly trying doors. There are enough places for him to walk and roam at the MC facility, including outdoor areas, that he seems much calmer. Much as I miss him and fear the expense, he is much more peaceful and the agitation and fear seems so much less than he was experiencing in our home. I think the placement has ended up being easier for him than for me!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more