Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Feeling guilty about hospice and husband passing away

SBL83
SBL83 Member Posts: 42
Eighth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

My wonderful husband passed away August 3rd. I miss him terribly. He was 71, and he had been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s about 9 years ago. He also had diabetes and vascular dementia, along with some other health issues. I am fortunate that I was able to keep him home the whole time, and I was able to work ( I taught close to home and was off in the summers). He slept most of the time I was at work once the disease had progressed to stage 4 and 5 etc., and was home by 3. I had cameras all over, inside and out. That helped so much. I was so glad I was able to take care of him at home. I had to leave my job in January because he was declining significantly, and I needed to be home. By March, he could barely walk, and swallowing some pills and certain foods was becoming a problem. The doctor recommended a hospice evaluation, and he was approved. They were very nice and helpful, and he stayed in hospice care at home until he died August 3rd. Their visits were helpful, but I am feeling so much guilt now. I worry that he died sooner than he would have because he was in hospice. They took him off almost all of the meds he was on. Ativan and morphine were added for agitation and pain. I did not use the morphine much. Ativan was mostly just twice a day. The last two weeks of his life, he mostly quit eating and drinking, and then quit talking. He was having respiratory distress the last day. Hospice increased the Ativan and Morphine then. Once his breathing got better, he passed await that afternoon with me holding him. I worry that having him in hospice caused him to die sooner,though I’m sure it did help with pain. The hospice staff was wonderful, but I’m curious if anyone else has felt this way.

Thank you,

SBL83

Comments

• Russinator
    Russinator Member Posts: 8
    First Comment First Anniversary

I'm so sorry for your pain. In my opinion you did nothing wrong.

• SBL83

thank you!

• SBL83

Thank you so much for those kind and helpful words. I did feel like his body was shutting down for several weeks before he passed away. They kept telling me his regular meds were no longer helping him, so they were all stopped one by one over the last few months. That was hard on me I do think they managed to keep him comfortable.

Again,

Thank you .

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 567
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Factually, people with the same issues actually live longer on hospice than when they are NOT on hospice. So, no, making him comfortable in his final weeks did not shorten his life.

• Crkddy
    Crkddy Member Posts: 84
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

SBL83, I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you did your best for him. That's all any of us can do. You were obviously a wonderful caregiver, which we all know is such a difficult part of the journey. Peace and love be with you.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

He was very lucky to have a caregiver (and wife) like you!

• Gtgservices
    Gtgservices Member Posts: 3
    Third Anniversary First Comment

He was exceptionally blessed to have you! It's easy to second guess, but from what you described, it sounds like the very best scenario! As much as we want our person to still be here, their quality of life is what is most important.

Remember the love. Embrace the grief. Love came first! Bless you, and everyone going through this journey!

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

You did the best you could. Please remember that dementia itself is invariably fatal, so providing any comfort that is available is the kindest thing.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

It sounds like you were a wonderful caregiver and wife. If I were in your DH's situation, I would have wanted to go without pain and anxiety and as soon as I could. Think about what you would want if it were you. You were the best! You do not deserve guilt. I am so sorry for your loss and I pray you will heal and have peace.

• SBL83

Thank you so much. I hope all of the fond memories will overtake the grief with time. I miss him so much.

• SBL83

Thank you. That’s true. It’s an awful disease, and I tried my best to keep him comfortable.

• SBL83

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I am so sorry for your loss. I know that must have been so hard. Your husband’s last 6 months and last 6 weeks sound a lot like my husband’s. The decline happened so fast. I just thought we had more time. I am glad that he is not suffering anymore , and I’m glad your husband isn’t either. It was painful to watch the suffering and decline. It’s such an awful disease.

I am sorry you are having to deal with breast cancer too. Life just seems unfair sometimes. I hope that treatment is helping you reach the best possible outcome and that you are feeling ok. Dealing with the loss of your husband on top of fighting cancer has got to be so hard . I wish you the best!

Sending you hugs and prayers!

SBL83

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

@PlentyQuiet:

Well said!

• SBL83

Thank you so much. I agree, that was well said . Thank you for your kind and comforting words.

SBL83

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney